Official Review: Isabella's Heart

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Isabella's Heart

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Isabella's Heart" by Diane Merrill Wigginton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having read the third book in her Jeweled Dagger Series, I resolved myself to read the two other books in the series. After reading Isabella’s Heart, the second book in this historical romance series, I must say Author Diane Merrill Wigginton exceeded my expectations yet again. In this action-packed stand-alone romance novel, Wigginton showcased the strength of sibling and family bonds, love, and the triumph of good over evil.

On the eve of her 19th birthday, Isabella Deveraux experiences an unsettling dream about her twin brother, Charlie. In her dream, five unknown men kidnapped Charlie and two of his friends. With the help of an Irish mercenary, her sixth sense as well as her deep connection with her twin brother, Isabella sets out on a perilous journey to find and rescue Charlie. However, in the presence of a handsome and mysterious captain, Isabella fears she may find Charlie but lose her heart.

Aiden Townsend is a brooding man. After a tragic loss, he chose to trade his comfortable life and live as a captain of a mercenary ship. When Isabella’s grandfather hired him to help in search of three young noblemen, he knew it was a mistake. The last thing he wanted was to babysit a young lady on an Irish tour. Still, Isabella’s beauty and audacity fascinate him. His proposition to pretend as lovers to travel in Ireland inconspicuously may just be his undoing.

Isabella’s Heart is a rollercoaster of emotions. Written in Isabella’s perspective, readers can easily connect with her character. I laughed and cried with her. I wished for her safety and rooted for her success. She is my favorite character. She is brave and stubborn, yet somehow, this stubbornness adds to her charm. Her love for Charlie pushes her beyond her limits. Isabella’s journey to rescue her twin brother is not for the faint of heart. It is not a wonder why Aiden fell for her. A caution to some readers: those who favor stories of damsels in distress and knights in shining armor will be disappointed. After all, dear Isabella has no patience to wait for a prince or a knight to save her.

The novel also has an excellent storyline. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, another twist comes along. There was enough unpredictability to leave me wanting more.

The only concern I have lies in the editing. I noted many errors that could be easily corrected by a professional editor. For example, “half way” should be “halfway” and “brother in law” should be “brother-in-law”. Needless to say, the number of errors was enough to distract me from my reading.

Considering all points mentioned above, I award Isabella’s Heart by Diane Merrill Wigginton 3 out of 4 stars. Readers of historical romance with a paranormal twist will surely find delight in this novel.

Isabella's Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

The twists in the book must have been interesting. I already like the character of Isabella. Female characters who do not wait for their knights to save the day have always been my favourites. It is a shame that the editing was poor. but, It could be fixed in a matter of time. I am glad you enjoyed the story otherwise. Thank you for the detailed review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

"Historical romance with a paranormal twist"... sounds intriguing. Too bad about the errors; hopefully these will be resolved. Thank you for your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors in this one, but at least they are fixable. Romance is not my genre, and, as much as this sounds interesting, I don't think I would enjoy it. Sounds like a lot of great characters, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love novels that have women who are strong characters and don't wait for the men to save them. This sounds like a wonderful book! Thanks for a great review!
Krissykat
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krissykat.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Krissykat »

Isabella's Heart sounds like the perfect book for me. Connecting with the lead character is always a great read, especially when the character is female. Having romance and action tied in with paranormal, makes for a great story. It is too bad about the errors, but it wouldn't distract me.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your synopsis of the story is very interesting. When an author can motivate you to continue to read the series, that is high praise for the writing and storyline. This looks like it would keep readers interested and guessing about the ending. Great review. Thanks.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I do love a good romance, and having the surprise twists tempts me even more to read it. I'm glad Isabella is such a strong character. I have a feeling she's going to have to be if she has any hope of resisting Aiden...if she even wants to! Great review!
Gaurav_007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gaurav_007 »

Even though I am not a big fan of romance novels, the journey of the protagonist and the paranormal element to it sounds really fascinating. I would definitely give this book a read for the strong storyline it presents. Thank you so much for the review !

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”