Official Review: Olivia's Promise

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Olivia's Promise

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Olivia's Promise" by Diane Merrill Wigginton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have developed a liking in historical romance books, and as of late, all my readings fall under this genre. The thrill is starting to wear off, as I have detected a pattern on how these stories start, develop, and end. That is why I had some apprehensions when I chose to review this book. Thank heavens for Diane Merrill Wigginton for proving me wrong in all ways possible! Wigginton created a masterpiece in her book entitled Olivia’s Promise. This is the third book in the Jeweled Dagger Series.

The story introduces Olivia Townsend, the first daughter of the Earl of Buckinghamshire of Ireland. Olivia has the gift to see and talk to spirits. Because of her powers, people avoid her. Olivia tries her best to hide her gift from everyone so she can live a normal life. When an unexpected visitor wakes her up in the middle of the night, Olivia knew she has to use her powers again. With no recollection why and how she died, her best friend, Lilly, is stuck on earth for the time being. Olivia knows she is the only one who can help Lilly, but will she be able to succeed if an evil spirit stops her from finding out the truth?

Olivia’s Promise hooked me right off the bat. My initial worry that I might need to read the first two books in the series flew off the window as I read the first few pages of the novel. Despite being the third book in the series, this is a stand-alone book. Written in third person point-of-view, the story is magnificent and engaging. It was hard to stop reading once I started. The bulk of the story happened in a span of days, but it did not feel rushed. If anything, it made the story more real to me. The suspense buildup was superb, and it kept me on my toes.

The novel also boasts a group of interesting characters. I love Olivia and Margot because of their candid and strong principles. There are also other characters worth mentioning: the Beaumont men, the enigmatic Father Timothy, and his assistant, Mary, the helpful Coco, the comic but regal Prince William and more. I love the banters between the characters. Not only does it emphasize their closeness, but it also keeps the mood lighter. I found myself laughing at these times.

My only concern is the number of errors I found in the book. I did not find them until I was halfway through the novel. There were a few misspelled names, wrong use of words (e.g. antidote instead of anecdote and affect instead of effect), and a few other minor errors. With another round of polishing, it will be perfect. Because of this, I award Olivia’s Promise by Diane Merrill Wigginton 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give it 3.5 or 3.9 stars but as we are giving full stars, I have to take a full point off.

I rarely come across books that are unputdownable. I am so lucky to read a rare gem like Olivia’s Promise! Fans of paranormal, historical romance or regency romance will enjoy this book without a doubt.

Olivia's Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Such a shame about the errors! The book sounds so compelling. I've never had the chance to use the word 'unputdownable' in a review, but I'm glad you have. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

I like that special ability of seeing ghosts..That added spice to the story
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but this sounds intriguing. I'm glad it proved you wrong. Even though it's the third book, it's nice that it stands alone. Thanks for the introduction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This sounds like a fantastic book! I especially like the integration of the supernatural. It is a nice addition to an already intriguing premises. I am glad it reaffirmed your interest in the genre!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I would never usually read a book series out of order. However as this can be read as a stand-alone novel, I think I would like to read this. Well done on a convincing review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I love that the plot line is centered around Ireland. Might give it a chance but I will probably read first two books.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”