Official Review: Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter by Lori Zaremba

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter by Lori Zaremba

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter" by Lori Zaremba.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the wake of a nearly fatal gunshot and her marriage falling apart, former police officer Trudy Hicks now specializes in paranormal cases. At this book’s start, Trudy receives a letter from a couple in Chicago. They’ve recently purchased and begun renovations on an old house, but things in the house are strange. Voices come from nowhere. A dog snarls and barks. Footsteps clunk across the floors. Trudy takes the case and meets the handsome Jason Young, whose been hired to perform standard surveillance during the investigation. Jason firmly believes there is a non-paranormal explanation for the strange events, but the house and Trudy soon change his mind. What happened here, and what will happen if Trudy doesn’t figure it out soon?

Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter by Lori Zaremba is the first in a romantic paranormal mystery series for adult audiences, and I’m already excited for book two. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. This book was unique and featured some truly realistic characters.

I’ll start with the storyline. Most of the events take place in the present day. It was neat to see the paranormal investigation take place with all its appropriate equipment (infrared camera, among other things). The rest of the book is written from the perspectives of the ghosts when they were alive. So, we see the events actually play out. I loved this aspect. Rather than a lot of conversations about what happened years ago, I got to witness the past with all the emotions from the characters involved. This added some fantastic depth to the story.

The characters in both timelines felt real. In the present, Trudy’s team worked together well but not without hiccups. Trudy stayed focused on the task at hand, but that didn’t stop her from mulling over her to-do list in the middle of investigating. Leslie, Trudy’s best friend and a lawyer, reached a personal breaking point of fear and had to take some time to recover. Dana, a psychic medium, and Patrick, the team’s photographer, added their own quirks to the story. The characters in the past also felt real. Vanessa, the house’s previous owner, discovered her husband was gay, which wasn’t an issue until both their families started pressuring them for a grandchild. Vanessa, with her husband’s blessing, found someone to get her with child, which started an entire saga of problems. Though there were fewer chapters told in the past, those events felt like their own fleshed-out story. I was just as engrossed in the past as I was in the present.

Trudy’s relationship with Jason was the most refreshing and surprising part of the book for me. It was clear from the moment they met that romance was on the horizon. The kickoff kiss that jumpstarted the romance came sooner than I expected, but the relationship proceeded to unfold beautifully. Rather than the flying sparks of a no-strings-attached fling, Trudy and Jason’s feelings developed into a support system that became more as things progressed. I found myself cheering for their budding love.

The romance and mystery intertwined very well, but there were places where both felt a bit underdeveloped. As I said, the romance started sooner than I thought based on what was going on. The mystery itself also didn’t feel like the traditional kind. For those wanting a search for clues and discarding of red herrings, you won’t necessarily find that here. Rather, this book focused on the unraveling of a historical puzzle to figure out what the ghosts needed to move on. This sometimes seemed like the mystery involved waiting for the ghosts to decide they wanted to talk, which kind of took some of the investigating out of the plot. Overall, the writing and story could have been a bit tighter, but these things didn’t hinder my reading experience.

The book was definitely professionally edited. I noticed only a small handful of missing words, and it is with great pleasure that I rate Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter 4 out of 4 stars. I considered giving it 3 for the slightly underdeveloped feel, but in the end, I enjoyed the book too much to take away a star. Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is for adults only. If you enjoy paranormal romances, mysteries, or a blend of the two, you’ll likely enjoy this book. Also, if you like watching paranormal investigation shows, this book might be appealing. Though this isn’t the kind of thing I often read, I’m hooked and looking forward to the next book in this series.

Trudy Hicks: Ghost Hunter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am excited to read this book along with the entire series after reading no further than the first paragraph of your review! The plot is thick and intriguing and sounds like a real page-turner. I love when romantic sparks fly at the beginning of the book as opposed to the end.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Sounds good to me. it has a twist on it not just the typical romance novels.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a great book if you like paranormal romances. I'm not really into that genre, per se. I'll probably skip this one, but I love that the characters are realistic, and everything is done so well. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very exciting book, and I like the fact that we are sometimes seeing things from the perspective of the ghosts. That is very unusual in ghost stories. Having a romantic aspect to it makes it even better. I will have to add this to my list of books to read. Great review!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Me too :) Thanks for the good tip.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

A paranormal romantic mystery? This author clearly doesn't shy away from big ideas. I'm not sure the book is my cup of tea but your review was so good I might have to consider it the next time I feel the urge to be scared out of my wits only to be saved by love. :o
Spencer Mack
FOOD AND HOUSING
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FOOD AND HOUSING »

With any Novel that I have read have either started to open fiction or non-fiction story line of a twist or spin of phenomenal events. Life is unexplainable. People tend to react to or explore people or places that are associated with purpose that drives them to be contenders or challenge them in both the spiritual and secular world that produce spectacular events. I give this book four stars because the author through everything into his or her pot of real imaginative food for thought discarded of red herring. Herring is seafood in a jar. We see it in the jar, yet an person who knew nothing about the phenomenal of jarring seafood in a jar whether its something edible or inevitable. Romance being infatuated with someone is said in a tactful way flying sparks However, the book is view or review it is a money making write.
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

In a marketplace saturated with paranormal love-stories, this book seems to have established a very unique tone. Thorough review that makes me want to read this book.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I don't usually enjoy this genre, but your review may have convinced me to try it!
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Realistic characters do make a book stand out. Underdeveloped plotlines are a typical flaw found in multi-genre books. I think I would enjoy this book that has paranormal elements combined with romance and thrill. Thank you for your detailed review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The title made me think this piece should belong to another genre. It looks like this book transcends initial impressions. It's great that you've found its merits. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The mystery itself also didn’t feel like the traditional kind. For those wanting a search for clues and discarding of red herrings, you won’t necessarily find that here. Rather, this book focused on the unraveling of a historical puzzle to figure out what the ghosts needed to move on. This sometimes seemed like the mystery involved waiting for the ghosts to decide they wanted to talk, which kind of took some of the investigating out of the plot.
I enjoy paranormal plots and I think the approach that changes the focus of the mystery and gives us the ghost's perspective is refreshing. It's hard to capture the reader's attention in both timelines and create realistic and time-appropriate characters and plots for both. Seems like a great book. I'll add it to my to-read shelf, thank you!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Not gonna lie. This isn't my genre and the romance doesn't really interest me but the mystery does so I might check it out. Who knows. Maybe reading it will let me get interested in Trudy's love life.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”