The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
Jo Ledamun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by Jo Ledamun »

I am gobsmacked, I'm really enjoying my reading of 'The Cuckoo's Calling' so far. This is because I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter books, for me the writing lacked complexity & it was not dark enough (even as a children's series) - 'Northern Lights' I preferred.

I am just about to start reading part 3 of 'The Cuckoo's Calling' & looking forward to reading the rest of it & how many more swear words appear along the way!

JK's descriptive writing ability down to the finest detail of London is excellent & adds authenticity. As it brings so much more depth to the plot. The main characters of the story so far, seem multi dimensional, likeable & I can almost visualise them as real people! In particular, I am liking the characters 'Strike' & 'Robin', their mannerisms, the way they interact with each other & how they think use their initiative.

-- 30 Sep 2013, 17:38 --

Another reason to read 'The Cuckoo's Calling'!

JK gets help from experts & donates money to an amazing charity in return!

This explains why the character 'Strike' is so clearly defined and well formed in 'The Cuckoo's Calling'.

3 years royalties from the sale of the book has been promised to ABF The Soldiers Charity by JK. It was pledged as a thank you to service personnel who helped with her research the title, which tells the story of 'Strike' a veteran. (Soldier Magazine, September 2013)

-- 30 Sep 2013, 17:42 --
Jo Ledamun wrote:I am gobsmacked, I'm really enjoying my reading of 'The Cuckoo's Calling' so far. This is because I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter books, for me the writing lacked complexity & it was not dark enough (even as a children's series) - 'Northern Lights' I preferred.

I am just about to start reading part 3 of 'The Cuckoo's Calling' & looking forward to reading the rest of it & how many more swear words appear along the way!

JK's descriptive writing ability down to the finest detail of London is excellent & adds authenticity. As it brings so much more depth to the plot. The main characters of the story so far, seem multi dimensional, likeable & I can almost visualise them as real people! In particular, I am liking the characters 'Strike' & 'Robin', their mannerisms, the way they interact with each other & how they think use their initiative.

-- 30 Sep 2013, 17:38 --

Another reason to read 'The Cuckoo's Calling'!

JK gets help from experts & donates money to an amazing charity in return!

This explains why the character 'Strike' is so clearly defined and well formed in 'The Cuckoo's Calling'.

3 years royalties from the sale of the book has been promised to ABF The Soldiers Charity by JK. It was pledged as a thank you to service personnel who helped her research the title - which tells the story of 'Strike' a veteran. (Soldier Magazine, September 2013)
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I did enjoy this book especially towards the end. As always Jk Rowling's descriptions transport you into the story and atmosphere. I began to care about Strike especially with his leg and Robin. What I did not like was the constant profanity -but this was needed for the different characters to be believable. I will read the next on in the series when it comes out.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

I haven't been able to bring myself to read this book either. Too much baggage with this author and Harry Potter, apparently. She tried to separate herself with the pen name, but in this day and age, when the internet knows everything, it seems to be just a veiled acknowledgement of the problem of her authorship of HP. I wonder how the sales of the book have been? (In other words, how many people are in the same boat with me?)
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

I enjoyed The Cuckoo's calling. I think JK tried to tone down her style too much and the book didn't reach out and grab me as much as the HP books did. I think JK is a very good writer with a knack for really understanding what the reader needs to know at that moment in the book. I did see that in The Cuckoo's Calling, but I would have liked more from the book. I'm holding off from buying the next JK book, I think it just might be more of a 1/2 effort.

I'm 46 and HP was a page turner for me, I had to read them before the kids did, but I loved every moment and would buy the books on release day and take the next day off work so I could read the whole book. I really wanted to know what happen to Harry!!
steppy61385

Post by steppy61385 »

Got this book for free through some promotion trying to read but it starts off way slow. I am having a hard time finishing hope it gets better.
cherokee_rose
Currently Reading: The Bookmaker
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherokee-rose.html

Post by cherokee_rose »

I just read this not too long ago and I really liked it. Now, I am probably only a handful of people who have probably not read a Harry Potter book so I had nothing to compare it to. The premise just sounded interesting and I decided to read it over The Casual Vacancy.

I am hoping that Strike will be a series because it was definitely a fun read.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

cherokee_rose wrote:I just read this not too long ago and I really liked it. Now, I am probably only a handful of people who have probably not read a Harry Potter book so I had nothing to compare it to. The premise just sounded interesting and I decided to read it over The Casual Vacancy.

Agree .. Strike & Robin are super creations & I do hope she continued with them :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the book and like it, but I have read better ones. Truth to be told, I only read the book because I loved the Harry Potter series. Despite that, I enjoyed the book.

I have started to read "The Casual Vacancy" and quit it. I found it boring!!!!!!!!!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

I have finally finished reading this book, after a break from it. Overall I enjoyed it. Especially JK's ability to describe scenes & create interesting character's who come across in the story as plausible. A very good modern day detective book. 4 out of 5 rating.

-- 12 Nov 2013, 20:22 --
Fran wrote:
cherokee_rose wrote:I just read this not too long ago and I really liked it. Now, I am probably only a handful of people who have probably not read a Harry Potter book so I had nothing to compare it to. The premise just sounded interesting and I decided to read it over The Casual Vacancy.

Agree .. Strike & Robin are super creations & I do hope she continued with them :lol:
Me too, I would to see a follow up book :D
Book Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-drifter.html
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith

Post by Book Drifter »

I really enjoyed Cormoran Strike and Robin's team and I hope Rowling writes more of them. I really need a new crime duo in my life!
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I think Robin was my favorite. I think she is a good "side-kick" to Cormoran. She held her own, and her tongue when needed. She did a great job reading his mind most of the time. I think Rowling did a great job with the characters. I like that it was totally different. I am still very disappointed in "Casual Vacancy". I liked this story so much more than that one.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
Imogen

Post by Imogen »

I really enjoyed this book! I loved Cormoran Strike and am really looking forward to the other Strike novels - the second of which is due next year, yay!
Once my partner and I had finished it and were discussing it, we both noted that while we did like it, we were maybe expecting a little bit more from Ms Rowling. I liked the book more than my partner, but I was waiting for more of an exciting twist at the end than what happened. But I probably wouldn't have expected that with another author, so it seems a bit unfair to JK Rowling, as I love her :) Overall I really enjoyed it. Much more than the Casual Vacancy, which I hated!
4 stars from me!
dtvrivera
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtvrivera.html

Post by dtvrivera »

This title is at the top of my library to-order list. I have not read the complete Harry Potter series, but in the books that I did read, I throughly enjoyed J.K. Rowling's writing style. I'm curious how her talent translates in a completely different type of novel.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I applaud JK Rowling for stepping completely away from that genre with The Cuckoo's Calling. I read The Casual Vacancy and really enjoyed that book for its dark honesty. I knew after her last novel that she definitely wasn't writing children's stories anymore. I enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling. Strike's character was a smart private eye in the middle of some really bad luck who was still able to stick to his guns and solve the case. I am definitely looking forward to the sequel!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

I enjoy JK Rowling works but although this book was good it didn't grab on to me like Harry Potter did.

The story was good, and was interesting but the movement was raw and lacked the smooth style I expect from this writer. I would have like to know have better detail and as I would love to see more from JK I might not pre order.

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”