The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by S Mishra » 22 Jun 2019, 01:18

When I first realized that Robert Gailbrath was JK's pen name i wanted to go read the book at once but when I finally got around to read it I realized it didn't really live up to the hype.

Maybe if I hadn't known it was Rowling or hadn't expected Harry Potter level of greatness it might have been a better experience...
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."

Leobaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Leobaby » 25 Jul 2019, 11:36

I enjoyed reading everyone’s take on this book since it is written by such a well-known and beloved author. It seems like many people were not quite sold on it. I, on the other hand, adored it. It is a refreshing take on the crime novel genre - which (in my opinion) had become obsessed with serial killers and sexual components to gruesome crimes. This is certainly a more low-key crime novel, but with that same gritty London feel of many other successful crime novels. Rowling also played to her strengths with a cast of excellent characters, and within one book the scene is set for rich character development in future books.

poojkapadia
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojkapadia.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by poojkapadia » 28 Jul 2019, 12:23

I read this book a few years back. I really enjoyed reading it, couldn’t put it down until it got over. I guessed who the murderer was half way through the book, but could not figure out how the deed was carried out. It’s after reading this forum that I learned the author’s real name. I had no idea J K Rowling wrote it when I read it and I am a big fan of Harry Potter.

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”