The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by S Mishra »

When I first realized that Robert Gailbrath was JK's pen name i wanted to go read the book at once but when I finally got around to read it I realized it didn't really live up to the hype.

Maybe if I hadn't known it was Rowling or hadn't expected Harry Potter level of greatness it might have been a better experience...
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."

Leobaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Leobaby »

I enjoyed reading everyone’s take on this book since it is written by such a well-known and beloved author. It seems like many people were not quite sold on it. I, on the other hand, adored it. It is a refreshing take on the crime novel genre - which (in my opinion) had become obsessed with serial killers and sexual components to gruesome crimes. This is certainly a more low-key crime novel, but with that same gritty London feel of many other successful crime novels. Rowling also played to her strengths with a cast of excellent characters, and within one book the scene is set for rich character development in future books.

poojkapadia
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojkapadia.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by poojkapadia »

I read this book a few years back. I really enjoyed reading it, couldn’t put it down until it got over. I guessed who the murderer was half way through the book, but could not figure out how the deed was carried out. It’s after reading this forum that I learned the author’s real name. I had no idea J K Rowling wrote it when I read it and I am a big fan of Harry Potter.

CL_03
Currently Reading: The Age of The Vikings
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cl-03.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by CL_03 »

I loved it. It is not action packed, but somehow it manages to keep your attention. I didn't find it tedious to read and really enjoyed the detail. I think that mystery stories, have to be the hardest to write because you have to clearly hint in the right direction without giving away the end and this book manages to do so.
I do recommend it if you enjoy detective stories.

Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I give the total credit of my reading habbit to this book. I absolutely fell in love with Cormoran Strike. I have read all the released sequels of the series.

Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Claris L »

I enjoyed reading this book, as the mystery portion of the book was quite entertaining to read, as well as the plot twists. However, am I the only one that didn't like Robin and her fiance Matthew together, or is it just me?

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”