Elena Ferrante

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Elena Ferrante

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Has anyone read Elena Ferrante's books? (Particularly her four-part Neapolitan novel series.) Or even her year-long column in, was it the Guardian?

I am still unsure of how I felt about the Neapolitan series, but she is certainly an insightful, introspective writer. I am in the U.S., and her fearlessness towards class issues as well as the political scenes she describes of Naples in the 20th century are very different from what I have been exposed to in school, etc. I appreciate her ability to write complex female characters who aren't always "likable."

Has anyone else read her? What do you think?
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Discuss Authors”