Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I have a few favourite authors, one of them being Natalia Jaster. I absolutely loved her Foolish Kingdoms series, so I was very excited t read Kiss the Fae, but it was disappointing. Writing the review was very painful for me. Hopefully it's a one time thing and the next book turns out better.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I would say no. I am fine with how they set up their books since its what they work on for years. I do not see any reasons to why I should as long as they work hard on the books.
Miracle_Tessy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-tessy.html
Latest Review: Street Sweeper by Paul Drewitt

Post by Miracle_Tessy »

Let me start by saying I have several favourite authors. One of my very first favourite author who disappointed me with what he wrote was Ted Dekker and the title of the book was Kiss. He wrote it far below my expectations. Part of me suspects the reason for it was because he was co-authoring the book.
I found the book boring and sadly; hard to finish
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

J.K. Rowling, I wouldn't say disappoint me but I expected more. After the Harry Potter series, I thought her new books about mystery were not as good as the series itself. I believe a phenomenon like Harry Potter could only be achieved once. But in Lethal for example the plot for my taste is not as interesting or addictive as it could have been. I love her either way, she gave me the books that define my childhood.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Yes JK Rowling when she posted a transphobic tweet.
Kyle Hylan-Corcoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-hylan-corcoran.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kyle Hylan-Corcoran »

I don't know if I have a favorite author but J.K. Rowling was high on the list until she became vocally transphobic. As time goes on, her views get more strident and offensive. Not only that, but she believes she is the victim of a smear despite the fact that her own tweets and statements are visible to everyone. It's just sad.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Yes, I have loved all of the Collen Hoover books but was greatly disappointed by 'Variety.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
angelbhengu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbhengu.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by angelbhengu »

No, my favourite author has never directly disappointed me. However, her series of books were turned into a TV show and the inaccuracies were very disappointing. But, I guess that was not directly her fault.
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lily Ahulu »

Rushed to release a part of a series. It didn't come out great
Micah_4
Favorite Author: D.E. Carlson
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 281166

Post by Micah_4 »

One of my favorites, Jennifer A. Nielson, wrote a book about the Berlin Wall called A Night Divided and it was quite disappointing. Unlike the other books of hers I've read, it became supremely repetitive, and the conflict did not make a pretty arch rather it felt like the conflict peaked early and tried to stay at that level for too long before deflating sadly and resolving. I found myself bored with the characters and by the end I was largely uninterested in their fates.
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

My favorite author is Jodi Picoult, and I always wait anxiously for her newest book to drop. However, I was very disappointed with "The Book of Two Ways". I love Picoult's attention to detail and the amount of research she does on a topic before she writes a book. However, "The Book of Two Ways" seemed to go all over the place.

I tried really hard to read it. I would read a little bit, put it down, and try picking it up again. But the amount of scientific information, Egyptology, hieroglyphics, symbolism, superstition, etc. made it read like a college course rather than a contemporary novel. It was just too much information for me to keep up with and I found it draining. On a positive note, her next novel, "Wish You Were Here", was one of my favorites!
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by João Ramos »

I would say no because the authors who disappointed me were no longer on my favorites list. The point is that not all books are of the same quality.

Return to “Discuss Authors”