Author hated most

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Re: Author hated most

Post by Lovely_Ink »

Bergamot wrote:Strange topic? I couldn't 'hate' an author, I'm sure each and every book has some pearls of wisdom in it.
I agree. I might have authors whose writing I don't care for but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them. I'm sure their writing is appealing to someone even if it isn't me.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
SWilder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SWilder »

OMG. I think everything I love has been mentioned on the hate thread. JK Rowling and Stephen King are favorites to me, and I liked Orson Scott Card's work as well. If I don't like an book/author, I just stop reading.

Of course, I've read many things that I consider ignorant, stupid, weak, badly written, unbelievable, etc. But it's the most famous ones I think, that we're discussing.

I think the most vehemently I've ever felt about an author was the one who wrote Fifty Shades of Grey, the oh-so-popular BDSM story, now being made a movie. I have read Anais Nin, and I guess that was my standard for erotic genres. The Fifty Shades writing was so absolutely crappy that I don't remember the author's name, couldn't get past page 2, and it inspired me to finally kick off my long-postponed publishing career, with f/f erotica. 'Low hanging fruit', as they taught me in the corporate career I held for 25 years, while I put off the possibility at failing in my life's work, writing. So that author made me say to myself, 'I can do better than this, at least. For sure. And for women, especially.' And I did publish, two stories, and even gave my story to a famous lesbian movie star, an actress on the Showtime series 'The L Word', at the infamous Dinah party for women in Palm Springs. Though the jury is still out in Hollywood, I'm getting good reviews on the internet so far, so we shall see if that vehemence resulted in success. In which case, I'm most grateful to my least favorite author!
Scarlet88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet88.html

Post by Scarlet88 »

I agree about Stephanie Meyer too. E.L. James isn't helping either - she's practically rewritten Twilight with the same messages for a much older generation.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

:lol: I did think it was hilarious that Bella fell in love with her killer stalker. :lol:

-- 09 Jun 2014, 22:35 --

Wow... there have been so many responses since the Stephanie Meyer comment... My Internet obviously has a problem with delivering me info...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

I wouldn't say hate, but there is an author that really let me down in terms of writing. James Patterson had been writing the Maximum Ride series and then the fourth book came out. It was a real let down. I will also take a moment to say that the hype around Stephanie Meyer's books is also disappointing.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
Platonov

Post by Platonov »

Authors who write with an eye to film rights, authors who write series, obsequious authors, authors that smoke pipes, left handed authors, but most of all authors who would rather hug the shore and write well than sail the open seas of literary invention. If writing does not risk the renewal of language, it's just typing. BTW: "Lolita" is not about pedophilia any more than "Moby Dick" is about whaling. "Lolita" is, or, more properly, goes about netting the nubile slut that is the English language.
mellybean
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellybean.html

Post by mellybean »

I don't think there are author's I hate. I think there are a lot of author's that have written series that I hate. That's different right? lol Though the topic is completely subjective.

I actually dislike a lot of the "classics" that were mentioned. Peter Pan, Alice and Wonderland, Narnia. I disliked all of those. Of course the idea that BDSM was anyway involved in 50 Shades is actually annoying lol. I dunno. I don't hate any author. I do dislike a lot of books though. Even by authors I love.
winsomefish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winsomefish.html

Post by winsomefish »

There are authors that I have very strong distasteful feelings about because of the way they handle the girls they write, and the themes they write about. Stephanie Meyer, Sylvia Day, Becca Fitzpatrick, and E.L. James are who immediately come to mind when I think of this. All of these books help perpetuate in the minds of women that abusive, controlling, men are attractive. I hate that. It makes me so angry, especially since two of those authors write for a Young Adult audience. It's ridiculous.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Salman Rushdie. Not because of any fatwa...because his books actually suck that badly.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
BizzyLizzy
Favorite Author: Naoki Urasawa
Currently Reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizzylizzy.html

Post by BizzyLizzy »

While I wouldn't quite use the word "hate" to describe the way I feel (in trying to preserve the strength of that word here), I must say that I severely dislike the attitudes of author Cassandra Clare and (not sure if this counts but...) showrunner Steven Moffat: towards their fans, towards their critics, towards their coworkers, and towards people in general. I like to consider one of the best gauges of author personality to be how they respond to criticism of their work. If an author responds in a constructive and receptive way to criticism of problematic aspects of his/her work, you can generally count on them work to improve. But when an author has the audacity to either criticize their audience/fans, cyberbully others who don't like their work, or do intentionally inflammatory things from then on to incite their offended/embarrass the offended person(s)... that, I believe, is a sign of worse things to come.

If you haven't read up on the Cassandra Clare plagiarism debacle, it's kept me off of supporting her merchandise with my money like a charm. The things she has supposedly said and done to other people who have criticized her work and the flippant way she's treated her fans as if they were simple underlings to her is absolutely repellent. According to one account, she once attempted to get a girl kicked out of college for engaging her about her pretty blatant plagiarism of other works; in another, she had her fans blackmail/prankcall/stalk/send black faxes to one of her critic's house; in yet another, she sent threatening private messages to an individual and even ended one with a disheartening abortion wish... I can't stomach reading any of her work after reading all of those accounts, and I deeply resent her silence and/or denial when it comes to addressing these accusations.

In a similar vein, Steven Moffat has behaved abominably towards his fans, the people working with him, and people who have dared to outwardly criticize his work. When he had a twitter, it was filled with dismissive comments towards tweets asking questions about plot holes in both the Doctor Who and Sherlock series. His attitudes towards women and other minorities have shown up subtly in his work, but unfortunately he fails to respectfully address the concerns of fans, no matter how many times people have tried to talk reasonably with him, going even so far as to claim people who had problems or didn't like his works were "fairly stupid." His old "women-are-needy" comments were disgusting enough, but his quite recent "Queen-played-by-a-man" comments were what really swore me off of him for good.

I'm not one of those people who can buy a book and separate that from the idea that I'm technically giving the author money for the fruit of their bad behaviour. If I'm really curious, I rent it from the library. But whenever I pick something up by either of these storywriters, I can never bring myself to finish it.
dilajlark

Post by dilajlark »

Stephen King. He is great at creating suspense, but his endings are always poorly written and feel slapped together in 5 minutes. I read the unabridged version of The Stand, and it may have weighed more than I did at the time. I get to the end, and cannot wait to see how good will triumph over evil, and he went "deus ex machina" with the ending. I was upset and sick to my stomach that he would stoop so low.

I dislike a lot of other authors, but I can only truly hate Stephen King.
kairkyn

Post by kairkyn »

I think the only authors I've ever really hated were ones I was forced to read in high school. I hated Margaret Atwood when I had to read Handmaid's Tale & Surfacing, but I appreciated her writing more after high school.
anna_hume
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hume.html

Post by anna_hume »

Janet Evanovich. I hate her, don't know her personally to hate her. But her books all seem flat without character development and lacking good story progression.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I don't hate J. K. Rowling, in fact I am happy for her rags to riches success (I always pull for the underdog), but I do have one complaint which I have voiced here before in the thread which is linked below. I wouldn't even complain about this except for the fact that Rowling was guilty (in my opinion) of doing precisely what she sued another author for. The fact that she sued the other author after what she had done really ticked me off.

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... =1&t=12699

When asked in an interview once she claimed that she didn't know where her ideas for writing came from. Yeah, right. Read the post linked above and decide for yourself where she got her ideas from.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

So much hate.... It makes me sad...

Return to “Discuss Authors”