Author hated most

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
intrestingca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Author hated most

Post by intrestingca »

I think its is Gulliver
Bergamot

Post by Bergamot »

Strange topic? I couldn't 'hate' an author, I'm sure each and every book has some pearls of wisdom in it.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Well said, Bergamot. I detoured this thread because 'hate' is such a strong word. Everyone has a place in this world.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Artdude

Post by Artdude »

J.K.Rowling - for managing to sell such a volume of badly written books on the most uninteresting wizard ever. If in your childhood you want something truly thought provoking and of an entirely fabricated existence, read 'The Edge Chronicles' by Paul Stewart, illustrated by the infinitely brilliant Chris Riddell. So much more exciting.

I respect J.K.Rowling as a person however. Just not her media persona as advocate of poor writing.
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

Artdude wrote:J.K.Rowling - for managing to sell such a volume of badly written books on the most uninteresting wizard ever. If in your childhood you want something truly thought provoking and of an entirely fabricated existence, read 'The Edge Chronicles' by Paul Stewart, illustrated by the infinitely brilliant Chris Riddell. So much more exciting.

I respect J.K.Rowling as a person however. Just not her media persona as advocate of poor writing.
Couldn't agree more :)

Plus these Meyer and Meyer type falsches. But that i mostly ignore, i don't hate :)
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
Ex UK Storyboy

Post by Ex UK Storyboy »

How about the poet William Blake? As far as I can see he is nothing but a fraud whose prominence owes to the fact that he surfed the crest of the wave of the Romantic literary movement. However, his sentiments are banal and uninteresting and his use of language insipid.

You can go to any mental institution in the land and there you will find some poor guy who has created his own Jesus based religion and who writes doggorel rhyming poetry about it. That's all William Blake ever was.
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

Bergamot wrote:Strange topic? I couldn't 'hate' an author, I'm sure each and every book has some pearls of wisdom in it.
I can. In fact, I could give you two, but that wouldn't be answering the question properly, so let's go with Vladimir Nabokov. Why? Read Lolita. I'm an impecunious twenty-something with a grudge against dirty old men.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
Venusian42
Favorite Author: Poe
Favorite Book: The Gambler
Currently Reading: Sadeh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venusian42.html

Post by Venusian42 »

Artdude wrote:J.K.Rowling - for managing to sell such a volume of badly written books on the most uninteresting wizard ever. If in your childhood you want something truly thought provoking and of an entirely fabricated existence, read 'The Edge Chronicles' by Paul Stewart, illustrated by the infinitely brilliant Chris Riddell. So much more exciting.

I agree with you. The books about the Wizard are equal to computer games. There is nothing like the old classics such as Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Alice in and wonderland, Peter Pan, The Little Prince. I believe that this generation has decayed in its mass in regard to good taste of literature.
Television? No thanks. I have books to read and write in ‘The Library of Time’
Richard Falken

Post by Richard Falken »

I would not say I "hate" a literary author. I can get to hate his books, and I could surely get to hate the author himself if I knew him personally and he was a son of #~½&#.

I agree: J.K.Rowling ruined the Harry Potter series for me.

I can't think of good books from Ed Greenwood. They seem invariably boring to me. There is people who swears for him, so I guess there is a place for any kind of literature in the market.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

Umm Charles Dickens and E.L James I guess. I didn't like books 5-7 by JK Rowling.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
Leoch

Post by Leoch »

I don't really hate anyone, but there are some books I can't NOT put down. The Twilight series by Meyer comes to mind. A friend tried to lend it to me and after reading a few pages I brought it back. That it has so many followers among new writers is one of the saddest things that ever happened to literature.
Anandi Iyer Ghosh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anandi-iyer-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anandi Iyer Ghosh »

I don't know if it is the author you hate or the author's books. For me, I stay away from Salman Rushdie. Started reading one of his books - Midnight's Children and couldn't finish it.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

For me I can't read Stephen King's books. Now I can't say that I hate him either because I had a teacher read his short stories to us in the seventh grade and I thought that they were good, but in general I stay away from horror type books and he is in the forefront of that list.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Jessica TheBookLover

Post by Jessica TheBookLover »

I would have to say if I hated any author, it would be ,Stephan King. Also, Its not that I hate him, It is more he puts way to much detail in his story. I once read four paragraphs in his book, that was explaining how green the grass was. However, If someone dedicates their life to books, like i do. Then i could not hate them.
Sincerely,
Jessica :D
noahadams
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noahadams.html
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman

Post by noahadams »

Orson Scott Card.

Technically, he's not that great, particularly since Ender's Game, but personally, he's an absolute ass.
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman

Return to “Discuss Authors”