Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
poetic_soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by poetic_soul »

I'd have to say my #1 favorite author is Neal Shusterman who has a very good series called "Unwind" and it's a dystology. It's basically about a society where children live in a world where their parents and/or caregivers can offer them to be 'unwound' which is basically just using their body for parts. It's like organ harvesting, but there s a lot of truth in the series though. You'll just have to read it for yourselves to get it.

My #2 favorite author is James Dashner, who is the author of The Maze Runner series. It's a very enticing series that'll have your jaw dropping. Seriously.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

My favorite author is Brian jacques the author of the Redwall series. he rekindled my love for reading after a two year hiatus.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

Just in terms of all around "changed my life when first discovered him", I have to go with Douglas Adams. I know it's a cliched answer, but at the age of 11 when I first picked up H2G2 it really blew me away. I'd read 'funny' books before but I had never come across one that made me laugh out loud. Not just giggles, but uncontrollable fits. Adams also bended (and broke) a lot of rules that I had never really thought of before. Sure, he's not the most subversive author in the cannon (or even in sci-fi), but I was the perfect age when I started reading him and it really opened up a whole new world for me in terms of what books were capable of.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

No one in particular, but from the books that I have read now its Rob White and Lincoln Cole are my top 1
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
briheartssn
Currently Reading: Long Black Veil
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briheartssn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by briheartssn »

Hands down Tess Gerritsen. I fell in love with her Rizzoli and Isles series at a young age, but I literally own every single one of her books, and I love them all. I have never seen the tv show, however. I am afraid the show will never hold a candle to the books.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

briheartssn wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 17:06 Hands down Tess Gerritsen. I fell in love with her Rizzoli and Isles series at a young age, but I literally own every single one of her books, and I love them all. I have never seen the tv show, however. I am afraid the show will never hold a candle to the books.
Don't bother with the show; it's awful. Only managed two episodes.
Favourite authors? Joseph Conrad, JRR Tolkien, GRR Martin, Stephen King, Colin Dexter, Asa Larsson, Camilla Lackberg, and Henry Lawson. I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. I am terrible at these lists.
swirlofink
Currently Reading: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by swirlofink »

My favorite author is Markus Zusak because his words are so full of imagery and it is just always so profound to me. I've read a lot of books but The Book Thief was the first book that ever made me full on sob. So I hold him in high regards, his writing really touched me.
Omnee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=78378">A Matter of Time</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Omnee »

Very difficult to chose ONE favorite.
As a child, it started with Enid Blyton. She was my very first favorite author and I've read all her books, without exception!
And if I have to make a progressive list:
Caroline Quinn
Cristopher Pike
Sydney Sheldon
Danielle Steele
Anne Sommerville
Penny Jordan
J K Rollings (yeah!)
Mary Calmes
Josh Lanyon
K.J Charles

It's a long list finally.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

My favorite author is, hands down, James Patterson. He writes books in many genres and appeals to almost all age groups. His Thriller and Suspense genres are my favorite and his "bookshots" are fast-paced and exciting.
R3vi3W
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by R3vi3W »

Have to go with -- Isaac Asimov -- but there are so many others. Purchased a box of Asimov magazines years ago and was treated to many amazing writers. Started my love of sci fi watching The last Man on Earth at a theatre when I was four years old...re-ignited by The Prisoner tv series at age ten. Hopelessly addicted for over fifty years!
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

Jean M. Auel is probably my favorite author. Her Earth Children's series is a favorite of mine and I have read them all multiple times and own them as well. Her ability to give every minute detail and create a picture, to me, is astounding. She also lives in the same geographic area I live in. I would love to meet her. If my daughter would have been born 3 years later, her name would be Ayla. I find even now, if I start one, I better have the next day off because I will read long into the night. I also like Og Mandino. :D
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

Gary Paulsen's adventure novels and Michael Crichton's sci-fi and techno-thriller novels had made a remarkable experience for me in reading. They are just a few of the authors I admire due to powerful plots and unpredictable adventure and results that makes my brain still running thru the ideas and events even after reading. :)

I also love reading novels of Nicholas Sparks, Jane Austen, Nora Roberts, Jean-Paul Sartre and other contemporary authors.
spacedino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by spacedino »

As always this is a shifting thing, depending on what books I've read recently and what I'm in the mood for. One which always remains if Marcus Zusak. The Book Thief was immensely important to me as a teenager. Another is Dianna Wynne Jones, who is a continuously delightful read and who I could reread hundreds of times and never get bored. I guess it's a little pretentious to want to say Homer but... I never get tired of the Iliad in it's many translations. Right now I'm reading Caroline Alexander's and it's absolutely delightful.
Keneenm14
Currently Reading: A Mother's Conviction
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Keneenm14 »

Does everyone know how to answer that question? I don’t know how I would ever answer such question; I could say,if I were being interviewed, that I love reading, reading is my favorite thing to do, but I could never answer who’s my favorite author. For me I like certain genres from different authors. I also don’t think I’ve read more than 2 or 3 books from one author.
cercegodess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cercegodess »

I also enjoy different genres; however, I would have to say that Stephen King is my favorite author, in that he is very diverse.

Return to “Discuss Authors”