Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Shandiedgar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Shandiedgar »

A couple of my favorites at the moment but not limited to are, Joe Abercrombie and Patrick Rothfuss. Joe Abercrombie is simply a great read but not for the faint of heart. I do also have to admit we have been waiting an excruciating long time for book three of the king killer chronicles to come out from Patrick Rothfuss.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Agatha Christie. I love detective stories but what I like the most in her stories is that you just can’t guess the plot.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

My favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I absolutely love all his works. The Sherlock Holmes books are ones that I'm grateful I picked up. They changed my life and I don't think I'd be the person I was today is it wasn't for them. Seems like a lot but trust me, it's something.
Book_Oblivion
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Book_Oblivion »

I am an avid reader and love exploring new genres.I enjoy crime, romance Some of my favourite authors are :
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE - One of the greatest writers, Shakespeare's language and storylines are intricate and melodramatic.
J.K ROWLING - I love her way of bringing charecters to life and her mere writing on some fictional idea just makes me believe in another world out there !
JANE AUSTEN - One of the most acclaimed female writers, Jane Austen has an amazing sense of writing. Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Emma are some of my favourite works.
AGATHA CHRISTIE - If you havent read her yet, please do. Plot twists in the most unexpected ways and you never know what is next.
Some others are :Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Gillian Flynn,
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

My favorite writer is definitely Machado de Assis, followed closely by Voltaire. They are both absolute masters of sarcasm and irony who shaped my sense of humor and writing style. These guys could spend an entire day mocking someone and the victim would still ask for more, charmed by their wit, broad knowledge drawing from history and literature, and mastery over the language; all intertwined with acid criticism. Machado also has a knack for exploring characters' psychology in ways that are both elegant and brutally honest.
Touminaima++
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Touminaima++ »

My favorite writer is definitely WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE. A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. What Shakespeare did was to communicate his own words in a brilliant way. He created comedy, history, tragedy and poetry that were extremely amazing. The vast majority of scholars consider Shakespeare a modern genius. Surely he was just that. He is literally an unforgettable literary figure and it is not exaggeration if we say that literature is nothing without him. That's why I consider him, not only the best writer ever, but also the one who had extraordinary knowledge of human psychology.
daniellelawson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD

Post by daniellelawson »

Currently my favorite author is J.R.R. Tolkein. His descriptions and how he dives into his tales is absolutely amazing, and his writing style can change to fit different audiences. My favorite book is The Hobbit and I am now reading it for a third time. Tolkein created his own world from nothing but his own mind and inspirations. It is such an original work of fantasy and adventure. It upsets me to know I will not have the chance to meet Tolkein in this lifetime.
Afturnitsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afturnitsa.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Afturnitsa »

My favorite author is Danielle Steel because I enjoy how she writes about the human condition. How she spins a story that could really happen in life. While I was going through a difficult time, I often found comfort in the pages of her books.

A close second is Linnea Sinclair because I love the combination of sci-fi and romance that comprise her novels. I'm, currently, using her books as competive titles for a story I'd like to write.
Wintergirl5502
Currently Reading: Full Cicada Moon
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Wintergirl5502 »

my favorite author is nicola yoon. i love her books and how she writes. she also is such a nice person. :D
Mignon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mignon.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Mignon »

Alexandre Dumas! I read a very well translated version of The Three Musketeers, and the grace and beauty of the the structure, as well as the intent of each word kind of took my breath away. Dramatic, I know, but true.
Mignon
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mignon.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Mignon »

Oh yes, and Clive Cussler! I LOVE his books immensely and want to study Marine Biology or Oceanography after each one. What's not to like? Adventure, romance, suspense, and the magical allure of the uncharted depths of the ocean leap off of the pages at every turn.
Letta_Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letta-jones.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Letta_Jones »

my favourite author is Lenette Noni. I loved the Medoran chronicles and whisper.
VickiP
Currently Reading: Breaking Sandcastles
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickip.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by VickiP »

Aside from classical authors like Edgar Alan Poe, Bram Stoker, and Ray Bradbury...I would have to say my favorite author is James Bradley. He is the author of the nonfiction titles Flags of Our Fathers and Fly Boys . He has a way to making nonfiction almost sound like fiction by using his research to tell the story.
SherHus
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by SherHus »

Favourite authors because there are so many genres.

#1 for me in the mystery category - Preston & Child. They have very unique and intricate stories and interesting characters.

I also like Allison Brennan, specifically her Lucy Kincaid series. I can connect with the characters in that universe.

In terms of fantasy I like Chanda Hahn - Unfortunate fairy tale series. Also Jordan David, who I discovered through onlinebookclub. And last but not least Rachel Morgan. She has a faerie series.

Authors have to do a lot of research and planning and they also have to have a fertile imagination to bring a really great book to fruition. I applaud them.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Wow! I've got so many, where to begin?
Well, there's T. J. Klune who is always on the top of the list and the first name that comes to mind.
But there's also Mitch Albom, Fredrik Backman, and Celeste Ng. Of course, Neil Gaiman! And do I even need to say Roald Dahl? Because isn't he everybody's favorite author?!
Haruki Murakami is a magician not an author, but nonetheless I love his works!
And, last but not least, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with his amazing Detective Holmes whom I have loved ever since I was a child.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket

Return to “Discuss Authors”