Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Rangerkay »

Mine would probably be a tie between Anne McCaffrey and Tamora Pierce.

Both are very strong, independent women that write about strong, independent women in their books. I grew up reading works from both authors and I feel like that had a fundamental role in shaping who I am.

For Anne McCaffrey I loved her Dragon Riders of Pern books, but I do feel that her To Ride Pegasus series went highly under rated for the time period it was published in. The Crystal Singers Trilogy was by far my favorite and I used to have recurring dreams that she had written another book in that series called Crystal Fire. Alas, it wasn't true.

Tamora Pierce wrote a series that began with Wild Magic. I could relate to Diane's relationship with animals and had always wished I could speak with them. I still have that series on my shelf and this past year had to buy new copies of each book. The pages of the other were too worn down to read.
muiruri vincent
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by muiruri vincent »

My favourite author is probably Audrey niffeneger author of 'her fearful symmetry' but jk Rowling comes a close second mainly due to the fact that I grew up reading Harry potter, probably the reason why im a bibliophile
meghankelly009
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghankelly009.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by meghankelly009 »

Everyone has posted some really amazing authors and I can't agree more with so many of you! To pick just one author as a favorite is difficult mostly because there are so many genres and it all depends on what I'm looking for in a book at the moment- perhaps I'm looking to escape into another world, or I'm looking to enlighten myself on a topic.

If I had to choose today, I would say that David Sedaris is one of my all-time favorite authors. He is so observant and keen and I find his writing so enjoyable and enlightening at the same time. He has a beautiful way of bringing humor into the topic while also opening up his reader's eyes to more self-reflection.

I'm currently reading his new piece, Calypso, and I think it's my favorite of his works. He makes me want to live in the moment more and become more self-aware and observant. I highly recommend it!
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I recently read " Betrayal of Faith", by Mark Bello , he is my most recent favorite author. I will definitely be reading more of his books.
John Grisham
Helen Rice. Poetry
Ronald Dahl

Are just a couple of others.
Cowgirl87
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cowgirl87 »

I can choose between Lisa Jackson and Heather Graham both women are amazing authors. Their books I could never put down. They both find a way to keep the readers turning the pages.
Heather Graham takes your mind to a certain time keeps you guessing who the killer really was. As for Lisa Jackson she has her own way of capturing the readers and not letting on till close to the end of the book evey author has their own way of writing. These two ladies are the top two i like to read
Mills1991

Post by Mills1991 »

Richard Paul Evans

He can keep a fiction story down to earth and I always manage to get hooked with every book.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Rangerkay wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 18:46 Mine would probably be a tie between Anne McCaffrey and Tamora Pierce.

Both are very strong, independent women that write about strong, independent women in their books. I grew up reading works from both authors and I feel like that had a fundamental role in shaping who I am.

For Anne McCaffrey I loved her Dragon Riders of Pern books, but I do feel that her To Ride Pegasus series went highly under rated for the time period it was published in. The Crystal Singers Trilogy was by far my favorite and I used to have recurring dreams that she had written another book in that series called Crystal Fire. Alas, it wasn't true.

Tamora Pierce wrote a series that began with Wild Magic. I could relate to Diane's relationship with animals and had always wished I could speak with them. I still have that series on my shelf and this past year had to buy new copies of each book. The pages of the other were too worn down to read.
Both of these authors contributed toward the majority of my childhood reading material. They are both outstanding!
Laarmyartist
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 33
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Laarmyartist »

First favorite author is Tamora Pierce, because of how her characters and the stories she writes. I love the multi-dimensional women and men she writes and the detail that goes into her world building. I can stop and reread her books and still learn something knew I hadn't caught on to before, so seamless is her world.

Other authors I greatly admire are Maria V Snyder, who knows how to end a chapter on a cliffhanger possibly better than any other author I have ever read otherwise.

Jim Butcher for gifting me with a Chicago wizard detective who never is a gimmicky, and the realities of hard choices and high stakes never feeling overly grim or unnecessarily cruel.
moj8668
Currently Reading: Fawkes
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moj8668.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by moj8668 »

I don’t have just one - what I have is a short list.

Ted Dekker
Tosca Lee
Ashley McLeo
Kerri Maniscalco
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

moj8668 wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 00:10 I don’t have just one - what I have is a short list.

Ted Dekker
Tosca Lee
Ashley McLeo
Kerri Maniscalco
Ted Dekker is amazing! If you enjoyed his work, have you read Donita K. Paul or Frank Peretti's work?
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I love Coleen Houck. Her most popular work is the Tiger Saga. I am currently reading a novel she published a few years ago entitled "Reawakened"
Barb Trev

Post by Barb Trev »

My favorite is J.D. Robb. Ever since she wrote the first book about life in the future.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Barb Trev wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 12:12 My favorite is J.D. Robb. Ever since she wrote the first book about life in the future.
I was so surprised the first time I realized who J.D. Robb was! One of the few authors I can think of that can write so well for so many genres.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

This is an extremely hard question, as it does depend what mood I am in. Although, I do love Julie Garwood for her remoantic historical fiction novels that highlight the importance of the simple things in life, whilst also creating excitement through her complex characters and context that links to 18th century England and Scotland and the strain between the two countries. In turn, I love K.F Breene who explores a fantasy world of dystopian fiction with strong female leads.
barrowhan

Post by barrowhan »

My favorite author is Leigh Bardugo.
She write fantasy and Adventure books that just suck you in and make you want to read more.
Six of Crows is my favorite book of hers but all of them are just as good just with different plots that intertwine with each other.

Return to “Discuss Authors”