Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MikeTLyddon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by MikeTLyddon »

That's a tough one. Somewhere around Poe, Lovecraft, Ellison, and Blish. If you haven't read James Blish, you might check out A Case of Conscience or Black Easter (aka Faust Aleph Null). He manages to blend science fiction with the supernatural in a very learned manner. His research into real black magic and related rituals is something few other writers have ever touched upon.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

Erin Hunter is my most favorite author. I have and read every book they have written.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I can't choose between Shakespeare and Jane Austen. :lol2:
Michel69

Post by Michel69 »

I'm a newbie to this site, just starting to explore the Onlinebookclub. Of course the "my favourite author" question triggered me. I'm happy to share my favourites.

1 J.R.R. Tolkien, by far. The way he created Middle-Earth, not being just a drawn map but complete with all the species, plants, trees etc in it, it really comes to life.
2 Lee Child: sometimes you just want to read for fun, to pass time. Lee Child delivered with his series of books about Jack Reacher, a former MP, a loner with nothing more than the clothes he's wearing, a toothbrush and his wallet.
3 Clive Cussler: especially the Dirk Pitt series, not to complicated, easy reading. His books always make me smile.

I'm really not into this "heavy literature stuff", i love reading books without bothering about a so called "deeper meaning".
Pr59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pr59.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Pr59 »

chukwuma1986 wrote: 22 May 2018, 15:45 Jeffrey archer remains my number one. prisoner diary i find very interesting and striking. his style and use of words keeps you reading over and over again.
I love Jeffrey Archer also! The first book I saw of his was a bunch of short stories and I loved it because each story had an interesting ending that most people wouldn't guess. I haven't found any other books of his with just short stories. I've tried reading his other books with one story in them and they don't hold my interest as well as the short stories do.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

The list is endless. I really like James Patterson and Maxine Paetro's books because of their Women's Murder Club series. I haven't really finished them all but am planning to.
There is also Stephen King. He writes amazing books. Love the combination of thriller and romance in Tami Hoag's books. There is also Lisa Gardner, Sidney Sheldon, and John Grisham.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

MikeNapo wrote: 21 Dec 2013, 23:04 Two way tie, and these two couldn't possibly be anymore different from one another:

1- chuck palahniuk- He's raw and rough and his stories cut deep into the dark psyche of humanity

2- toni morrison- her books are like 300 page poems. so beautiful. her book, "Beloved" had a very significant impact on my life. I'm a white man, so that may seem odd, and its a long story, but that book means a ton to me.
I just finished Reading Beloved. It was a most amazing book and my only regret is waiting as long as I did to read it.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Anne McCaffrey. She is created the dragons of pern, the first dragon books I started to read.
Zion Alexander
Currently Reading:

Post by Zion Alexander »

My favorite two would be Mark Walden and Chris Bradford.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

It is Agatha Christie the Queen of crime! She has a genius mind! We can never guess what is going to happen in her books. Not only that I love the fact the books are written long ago. I love how she describes the society back then.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

mmlittleone wrote: 07 Dec 2006, 22:14 No one has mentioned my favorite author yet... Ernest Hemingway. He is awesome, such simple looking sentences but also a classic iceberg theme... so much of what he says is under the surface. For lighter reading, my favorite is Nick Sparks. :)
Hemingway is simply a delight to read. I wouldn't say that all his books have great plot, but they're exceptionally written. Love how he places words together making it an experience for the reader.
My other favourite would be Jane Austen! Since classics never go out of vogue.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

I've read hundreds of books in more than last twenty years, and it might seem difficult to name one favorite author at first. But no, I actually know it immedietely - it's John Irving. This is this type of writer that when you start reading, you instantly know he's doing what he was born to do. He's such a natural story teller, it's like the talent to talk about people is running in his blood.
The first Irving's book I've read was 'The World According To Garp' and even though I liked it a lot at the time, when I got to read more of his books, I didn't find it the best one. I actually loved every next title more than the previous one. 'The Hotel New Hempshire', 'Cider House Rules', 'Last Night In Twisted River' to name just a few, have stolen my heart. But the most poignant and heart-breaking of them, wrote with unusual tenderness, story of a longlife friendship was 'A Prayer For Owen Meany'.
Obviously there are more authors I like a lot, but there's some easiness and lack of judgment in Irving's stories. He's got natural understanding for human imperfections and deviations, he tends to show people the way they are and he finds a way to make it beautiful.
I realize his narration can be tiresome sometimes - he tends to go sideways from main plot and got plenty of digressions, but someway it shows the passion he has for writing. There were moments I had to rest from reading and my mind felt tired. But still - after finishing each book, I felt enormous pleasure and satisfaction, and yet pure happiness to get to know the story like that.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Hiruni Hansika wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 10:06 It is Agatha Christie the Queen of crime! She has a genius mind! We can never guess what is going to happen in her books. Not only that I love the fact the books are written long ago. I love how she describes the society back then.
Ah, I loved her books when I was a teenager. By pure coincidence - I was a book geek growing up in a small town with a small public library that happened to had quite a big collection of Christie. I didn't read her for many years now but I remember how obsessed I was. Trying to solve criminal stories where every tiny detail counts in times when there was no such thing as Internet - it was a real entertainment!
HummingBird
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hummingbird.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by HummingBird »

There are so many to choose from, and from so many genres! But Matt Haig was the first to spring to mind; there's just something wonderful about the way he writes.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:06
Hiruni Hansika wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 10:06 It is Agatha Christie the Queen of crime! She has a genius mind! We can never guess what is going to happen in her books. Not only that I love the fact the books are written long ago. I love how she describes the society back then.
Ah, I loved her books when I was a teenager. By pure coincidence - I was a book geek growing up in a small town with a small public library that happened to had quite a big collection of Christie. I didn't read her for many years now but I remember how obsessed I was. Trying to solve criminal stories where every tiny detail counts in times when there was no such thing as Internet - it was a real entertainment!
Oh I wish you get to read her books again 😍🤗

Return to “Discuss Authors”