Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lecky333
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Series #1)
Currently Reading: Dead Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lecky333.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd ed. by jack winnick

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by lecky333 »

Vladimir Nabokov is my favorite author and Pale Fire is my favorite book.

I'm amazed by Nabokov's descriptions of images. His ability to find beautiful language to describe beautiful images always moves me. For example, from the first Canto of Pale Fire.

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain
By the false azure in the windowpane;
I was the smudge of ashen fluff--and I
Lived on, flew on, in the reflected sky.

Then the prankster Nabokov in the commentary about lines 1-4, "The image in these opening lines evidently refers to a bird knocking itself out, in full flight, against the outer surface of a glass pane in which a mirrored sky, with its slightly darker tint and slightly slower cloud, presents the illusion of continued space."

The thought of a bird flying into reflected sky is already cute and interesting, maybe slightly poetic all by itself, despite the obviously jarring death. Nabokov isn't only describing a bird flying into a window, he's also giving us the image of its shadow,
the smudge on the glass, and the shadow's imagined afterlife in the reflected sky. To me, this is densely beautiful. There is so much going on in so few words, and I love everything about the first four lines of the poem. I could go on here and with other examples, but this should illustrate why Vladimir Nabokov is my favorite author.
KaitW13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitw13.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by KaitW13 »

Dean Koontz
James Patterson
John Saul
Douglas Adams
Edgar Allen Poe
Bluerose420
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bluerose420 »

My favorite author is Steven King :D
Simina Dinca
Currently Reading: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Trad. Chinese Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simina-dinca.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Simina Dinca »

I have read books written by various authors, but as you probably know, there are some sceneries created by specific authors that make you feel comfortable in a very intriguing way and whatever happens, no matter how much you change, you will still feel the same when you read that piece. For me, this is how Edgar Allan Poe makes me feel
Jolan

Post by Jolan »

My favourite author is Dan Brown. I really enjoy his Robert Langdon book series. The way they combine art, history, language, culture, symbology and secret societies in a fast paced story is simply breathtaking. Always a challenge to put the books down.
captainrocky99

Post by captainrocky99 »

Hi all. Just joined the group.I'm 77 and read about 100 books a year. My favorite author is John Sanford. After the first few of his books you know the characters like family. The plots are unusual but realistic. I belong to Cloud Library.Free books forever. Unfortunately not new releases. Thanks for having me here. Rocky
Omega2001
Favorite Book: The Darkest Night
Currently Reading: The Darkest Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Omega2001 »

I have lots of favourite authors but between my favourites are J.K.Rowling, Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay, Maggie Stiefvater, Suzanne Collins and Randall Wallace.
I love them all :romance-heartsthree:
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Stephen king is my long time favorite writer. I have started collecting George R.R. Martin books in the last couple of years as well since I enjoy his Wild Cards series. But even that will never top my love for Stephen king novels.
amjohnson13
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

Stephen King!
Shhhh I'm reading :techie-studyinggray:
Squidnnneyyy99+
Currently Reading: Sadie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squidnnneyyy99.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Squidnnneyyy99+ »

That is honestly, one of the hardest decisions for me to make. It's like asking to choose a favorite movie or food. I have a couple that I love, but I could never limit to a "favorite."

For the sake of the discussion post, I will choose three and give an example of a book. This is in no particular order.

1) Jodi Picoult - an author that has written many best selling books recently. My two favorites from her are "House Rules" and "Small great things." She really opens your mind to things you would never have considered. Anytime someone asks for a suggestion about what to read, I suggest "small great things" because I never realized what tiny things I do everyday that potentially hurt the others around. I highly suggest them to people who have seen her name, but have not picked her up.

2) John Steinbeck - we have all read a Steinbeck at least once in high school, but I never found reading his books as a chore. I have never considered any book to be my favorite until I read "Of Mice and Men." His writing is so great, because it opens your mind to what life is like for different people, and how they are affected in certain situations. Very similar to Picoult.

3) Alice Walker - One of my top ten books is "The color purple" and if you have never read it, you are missing out. "The color purple" is written so beautifully, and deserves every prize it has recieved. Walker turns a story of a young woman into a conversation about how women should be treated vs. how they are treated. Such an inspiring writer that encourages me to stand up for myself.

Bonus) Paulo Coelho - even though I said three authors, I couldn't leave out Paulo. My favorite book of his is "the alchemist" which is the story of a young boy, who only heards sheep his whole life. He embarks on a journey full of omens (good and bad) that tell him where he is meant to be. On this journey the reader learns that you need to take life by the horns, but you must also limit yourself to what you can handle. This may not be for everyone but I suggest everyone read it because it is so inspiring.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

Considering the whole production, my favorite author is probably Dan Brown. Every book has an interisting plot, they treat problems of the modern society and the locations are so well described that you can feel like you are there!
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

One of my favorite authors is Sarah Dessan. Although some people say that her novels are cliche, I thoroughly enjoy them. Her novels have nice story lines and you can sit down and enjoy them without it getting raunchy (I've read quite a few of that nature). They are also books that I wouldn't mind my kids reading some day.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I have so many! But I really love Lisa Scottaline.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Stephen King is definitely my favorite author. I don’t really like the horror genre, but his books are very interesting and well written. I’ve read his book about writing; he’s my inspiration.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

There are two many to choose from but if I had to settle for one, then it's got to be Murakami for me. No one has made reading such a psychedelic experience the way he has for me! <3

Return to “Discuss Authors”