Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
louisemwilcox13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louisemwilcox13.html

Re: Tolkien

Post by louisemwilcox13 »

I adore The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is pretty good too. Though in The Lord of the Rings I feel like went off in some weird tangents every now and again, but all in all I really like his writing style.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” -George R.R. Martin
aneeha15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aneeha15.html

Post by aneeha15 »

I didn't think I could love Tolkien any more after I read LOTR. I prove myself wrong by reading the Silmarillion! The man is a legend.

-- 23 Dec 2013, 07:32 --

I didn't think I could love Tolkien any more after I read LOTR. I prove myself wrong by reading the Silmarillion! The man is a legend.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

alamorn wrote:Like a lot of people I love the story, but I think it's so obvious that plot was second to exploring the world.
That is so true. I find myself re-reading his works not just because I love the story line, but because I want to visit Middle Earth again. He was such a gifted man and put so much detail into his worlds. Everything was thought through and he was always going back and making changes to make sure all the stories fit into his world. Even his son took on the job once J.R.R passed away.

I have always loved the books (and movies), and I always will.
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
Book_lover_CA1

Post by Book_lover_CA1 »

I think it would be very hard to top Tolkien in terms of fantasy fictions.
I read his books, played videos games on his works and watched many movies but never got tired of him.
Rosytoes
Favorite Book: How can someone pick just one favorite
Currently Reading: Mortal Instrument Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosytoes.html

Post by Rosytoes »

Tolkien is a genius. It is as simple as that. The lord of the rings series is brilliant. The world he created in this series is beyond words. I love him, I love him, I love him! :D
Davidc1470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davidc1470.html

Post by Davidc1470 »

I was about 13 when I first read the Lord of the rings series. As a kid, it was pretty much all I ever thought about! I loved how much detail went into those books.
Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

I love how immersive and planned his world is. From the language to the tiniest detail, he is amazing. I did see the Lord of the Rings trilogy before I read the books, but I enjoy the books more simply because they are so well done. Out of all of them, though, MY favorite has to be The Hobbit, I just really love it.
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Post by claire mckay »

Definitely my favourite author! Totally epic on a scale matched by no one else. I get the feeling he was writing it for himself and he half lived in that world rather than trying to make a living writing books. I'm like your dad as I've just made my 7 year old read the hobbit but fortunately she loved it! Might need to hold off with Lord of theRings for wee while yet!!
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Tolkien is epic. I first read LOTR in 1968 and I remember thinking, wouldnt it be something if they could make a movie from it. At that time it would have been impossible without all the computer generated effects they use now.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
sjschleis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjschleis.html

Post by sjschleis »

His perplexity and description of Middle Earth is amazing
pamelaylawrence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamelaylawrence.html

Post by pamelaylawrence »

Tolkien is a great author, though I became bogged down in his descriptions. Great movies, though! :?
techmyview

Post by techmyview »

I finished Hobbit and reading Lord Of The Rings now. I have already started adoring this series. Timeless classic.
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

I HAVE to read from him but I haven't. My fav. movie series is Lord of the rings, I grew up with it and all, but for me, its the movie.s..so it'll be weird to read it. Its the only story I say this about, by the way.
techmyview

Post by techmyview »

FlorenceDupuis wrote:I HAVE to read from him but I haven't. My fav. movie series is Lord of the rings, I grew up with it and all, but for me, its the movie.s..so it'll be weird to read it. Its the only story I say this about, by the way.
Believe me, you would enjoy more while reading than you might have enjoyed watching the movie. I am about to complete "Fellowship Of The Ring". It is awesome.
Reader by Avocation, Musician by Passion and Software Developer by Profession.
MRosalina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrosalina.html

Post by MRosalina »

I love his world. The writing style is a little more descriptive than I would like, especially the Silmarillion, but he does make an effort with the details so it is easy to forgive!

Return to “Discuss Authors”