Dean Koontz

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: Dean Koontz

Post by stacihunsinger »

I am a big fan of Dean Koontz. My dad and I love to discuss his work, but I do find them to be a bit weird. I love the Odd Thomas series, but again sometime they get a bit crazy. I will by no means stop reading them, but I have to mentally prep myself for them at times.
t+vaughn
Favorite Author: Eric Jerome Dickey
Favorite Book: A thousand splendid suns
Currently Reading: The Perfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-vaughn.html
fav_author_id: 9072

Post by t+vaughn »

I tried reading everything Koontz had written for quite a while, but then I fell off. And yes, his books do get a bit crazy! The last book of his that I read and really enjoyed was The Husband. Very entertaining and suspenseful.
tomm313

Post by tomm313 »

Personally i think that Dean Koontz is one of the best thriller writers out there but if you like the crime thriller but you find that koontz is a bit crazy then personally i would recommend that you try James Patterson. he did a fair few teenage books but also did some very good thrillers such as; Cat and Mouse and Jack and Jill which i found very hard to put down once i had started reading them due to the suspense created throughout the whole book.

-- 16 Nov 2014, 09:51 --

The first Dean Koontz book i ever read was Velocity when i was about 13 (only being 19 now) and it had me hooked on his books but then i was introduced to a few new authors and didn't pursue Koontz's books until recently but i would definitely recommend 'The Good Guy', had me struggling to put it down.

-- 16 Nov 2014, 09:52 --

The first Dean Koontz book i ever read was Velocity when i was about 13 (only being 19 now) and it had me hooked on his books but then i was introduced to a few new authors and didn't pursue Koontz's books until recently but i would definitely recommend 'The Good Guy', had me struggling to put it down.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

KirkB wrote:I used to read Dean Koontz a lot - but I haven't read one of his novels in awhile, since probably the 90s. They're pretty good, I guess. Some of my favs are:

Twilight Eyes
Strangers
Hideaway
Mr. Murder
I agree. I haven't read Koontz since the 90's myself. If I had to pick those 4 are the one's I remember reading and really enjoying. Koontz's newer novels "Odd Thomas Series" and "Frankenstein" are 2 that I have heard great things about. I can't wait to start reading them; they are on my to be read list...
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
bbeverly
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bbeverly.html

Post by bbeverly »

Dean Koontz is definitely a favorite of mine. While some of novels can have off the wall story lines, I still love them.
Some favorites would be:
1. Frankenstein series
2. Door to December
3. The Good Guy
4. Intensity
5. Velocity
6. Odd Thomas series
There are many more I enjoyed by him, but those are ones I've read several times each.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Watchers, Intensity, Night Chills, Dragon Tears. These are books I read in about the fifth grade. I like Dean. I also recently read a Big Little Life. It's a story about his dog and gives insights into the man as well, I highly recommend it. Are his books classics, maybe not, but I always enjoy them whereas sometimes I want to punch Ernest Hemingway when I read his writing ha ha.

-- 07 Jun 2015, 17:53 --

I also have on my to read list From the Corner of His Eye which was highly recommended
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
LKaye

Post by LKaye »

My all time favorite book by Dean Koontz is Dragon Tears. However I enjoyed the first three novels of his Frankenstein series also.
ReaderLeader

Post by ReaderLeader »

I love his Odd Thomas books. Also the ones with Chris Snow. Now there's a character I'd love to see in more books. For me, I love his unique style and ability to make the oddest things seem possible.
BookLover1990

Post by BookLover1990 »

I actually just finished the Odd Thomas series and I've read life Expectancy. I thoroughly enjoyed both. Granted the last book of the Odd Series, Saint Odd, seemed to be a rush to finish the series. It didn't have the usual humor majority of the other books did and it also lost me a certain points throughout the story where, after rereading parts several times, I had to move on and hope that they made sense later in the story.
taretal51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by taretal51 »

Dean is my all time favorite author's. When he wrote the bad place, I was hooked.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I have read his book " The husband". I love his dry humour in describing the characters for example, "the one with the face that was not smooth".
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

My favorite is The Watchers. I only started reading Koontz 10 years ago and now he's my favorite author.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Life Expectancy is my favorite by far.
Paula45+

Post by Paula45+ »

I love all Dean Koontz books. Haven’t read all the odd Thomas yet but I want to finish the series bad
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

Strangers is a really good one by him. I've also been making my way through the Frankenstein series because my mom adores those books, so she would definitely highly recommend those.

Return to “Discuss Authors”