Favorites Series

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Christina2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Favorites Series

Post by Christina2 »

I read a lot of series books and wonder what your favorites are.
That Book Nerd

Post by That Book Nerd »

Well, right now, I'm reading through the Dune series (currently on God Emperor of Dune) and loving it. When I read a series, it's usually something in the fantasy/sci-fi genres.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

I'm reading the well-known Redwall series. But I'm also half way through the Warriors series, by Erin Hunter.
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Where do I start?

Dune
Foundation
Htchhiker's Guide
Red Dwarf
Riftwar Cycle
Inheritance Cycle
Deathworlds
stories about Jeeves

etc etc etc...
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

My favorite series definitely would be Dune, though I really don't care for Brian Herbert's additions. God Emperor of Dune was probably my favorite.
MatDatPhatKat

Post by MatDatPhatKat »

You could try the Matthew Shardlake series by C J Sansom. These are medieval murder mysteries set during the reign of Henry VIII. Matthew Shardlake is a lawyer with a hunch-back, who, against his will, gets dragged into court intrigues and invariably ends up having to investigate and solve high profile murders at no small risk to himself. He goes up against powerful 'baddies', but generally comes out on top.

These books are fairly accomplished. As a friend of mine said, you can practically smell the sh*t running through the streets of Medieval London. Very atmospheric. Very fast paced. You'll fall in love with Matthew Shardlake. A real hero for the ordinary guy.

If you like historical fiction, you could also try out George McDonald Fraser's 'Flashman Papers'. These are a series of books which purport to be the collected remenisences (sp?) of the grown up 'Colonel Harry Flashman' (the bully from Tom Brown's School Days). It's actually fiction - entirely the creation of the author. Flashman pops up in several well known historical events and invariably plays a major role in the outcome. The thing is, it's always against his will. He's a self confessed coward and scoundrel, but he always comes out smelling of roses. These are incredibly funny books and you'll learn a lot about the history of the British Empire at the same time.

Good luck.
Iheartu18

Post by Iheartu18 »

Ooh so hard to pick just one!

If I had to narrow it down to three, I'd probably pick

1. Harry Potter, hands down
2. Percy Jackson
3. Maximum Ride
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Harry Potter. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
86steelers43

Post by 86steelers43 »

I have a few favorites series that I absolutely love and can't get enough of:

1) James Patterson: Alex Cross
2) Michael Connelly: Harry Bosch and Michael Haller
3) Robert B Parker: Jesse Stone
4) Clive Cussler: Dirk Pitt
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

Let's see....
Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)
Age of Fire (E.E Knight)
Shifters (Rachel Vincent)
Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine Harris)
Inheritance Cycle (Chrisofer Paolini)
Not sure if it's technically a series, but I love all of Philippa Gregory's novels about the Tudors. (The Other Boleyn Girl, etc)
Cylan

Post by Cylan »

Well, there are a few series I am absolutely in love with. One is the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It is one of THE best series I have ever come across... it constantly leaves me hanging on the edge and wanting to read the next one.

The next one is the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands. I adore how the characters are all their own stories... but then at the same time it brings in other characters from the other books. While it can be annoying if you dont read the books in a certain order, it is still a fantastic series and I look forward to reading more of her books.
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander and
Clementine by Sara Pennypacker (I'm just a kid at heart.)
Scottaleger
Favorite Author: Rhonda Byrne
Favorite Book: The Secret
Currently Reading: The Power
fav_author_id: 4898

Post by Scottaleger »

Harry Potter
Stella

Post by Stella »

Harry Potter - JKR
Outlander series - Diana Gabaldon
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
Emperor series - Conn Iggulden
Conqueror series - Conn Iggulden
Kdor11

Post by Kdor11 »

I have to admit, I really love the ' Twilight ' series. If you forget about the movies (which I dislike & only watched the first one), the books themselves are amazing! :wink:

Return to “Discuss Authors”