Remember Enid Blyton?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
amalhaseeb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Remember Enid Blyton?

Post by amalhaseeb »

I loved Enid Blyton's books growing up! From the Mallory Girls to Noddy to the Naughiest Girl in the School, most of the books in my shelf used to be by her. My writing style was heavily influenced by her in all the stories I wrote when I was little. But now that I reread some of her books, there's a lot of opinions sprinkled throughout that are quite iffy
Anisa_Sadaf
Currently Reading: The Astonishing Color of After
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anisa-sadaf.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Anisa_Sadaf »

Of course. It's her books that stared it all for me. My mum would find me sprawled on the bed or the couch with a book in hand the whole day; a new book every other week. She still does. 😂
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I love Enid Blyton!! After reading St. Clare and Mallory Towers as a child, all I wanted was my parents to send me to boarding school hahaha. I also enjoyed the Secret Seven and the Famous Five.

They have extra nostalgic value because my Mom bought them for me to share something she used to read as a child too.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I loved reading her books. The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, Five Findouters, Mallory Towers and St. Clare. Her books made my childhood interesting.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Oh I loved Enid Blyton. Summer holidays for me were full of reading 'famous fives' and 'secret sevens'. I especially loved her book ' The adventures of the wishing chair'. I could read it again any day. I think in some ways Enid Blyton initiated me into reading books, and I am so grateful for that now!
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

I love Enid Blyton, I grew up reading The Famous Five. It felt like I was living their adventures with them!
FlissShields
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flissshields.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Post by FlissShields »

Oh I adored her books. Looking at them as an adult oh boy are they full of racism and a massive dose of sexism, but I still love them.

My favourites were the Mallory Towers and Naughtiest Girl series but I devoured all her short stories.

I still hope either of my kids will show an interest, but as my husband loathes her works with the fire of 10,000 suns, I suspect I may lose that battle :lol:
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Of course! The first books I've read as a child were by Enid Blyton! I'm going to pass them on to my kids and grandkids!
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
heena abdul majeed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by heena abdul majeed »

Find out about the capable kids' essayist, Enid Blyton, on her 48th passing commemoration. ... Enid Blyton, acclaimed for composing youngsters books, was conceived on August 11, 1897, and passed away on November, 28, in the year 1968. ... Here are some fascinating actualities on the popular youngsters' ...
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

My mother thought feeding me on a constant dose of Enid Blyton would make me put down novels like Dean Koontz and Sidney Sheldon at the tender, impressionable age of 4. I read all her books from early on and actually found them to be exciting. When I have kids this will definitely be an author they're gonna read.
unencumbered
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unencumbered.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by unencumbered »

My favorite Enid Blyton books were the Magic Wishing Chair. Although I had 50 of her 100 set of books, I only read the two of them right through to the end. Sadly, I sold the collection along with the rest of my books in time I was looking to downsize my belongings. Minimalism has become me, haha!
Sufi_khan
Favorite Book: The Da Vinci Code
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sufi-khan.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Sufi_khan »

Back in those days, there wasn't as much choice in Children's books as there is now, and Enid Blyton was on every shelf. I used to go to my school library to get my books, and have read many of the titles.
Wendy11974
Currently Reading: Chin
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Wendy11974 »

My goodness I have not thought of her in ages. One of the first readers I really started to binge read. I read everything I could get my hands on when I was young but when we moved out of the country to the US I could not find her books anymore. It was before the days of Amazon, Ebay, and evening the Internet! I also then found Francine Pascal and it was all over.
Gbrooks_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbrooks-01.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Gbrooks_01 »

I absolutely loved Enid Blyton books as a child. I could not get enough of them. I found that her books were entertaining and captivating. I hated all the Nancy Drew books mainly because I disliked the character, but I was fascinated by the Hardy Boys' book series by Enid Blyton. I considered her to be a great writer of children's books and hope to be as great a writer one day.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I really liked "The Naughtiest Girl in School" but found " The Famous Five" quite boring.

Return to “Discuss Authors”