Views on Jodi Picoult?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gemma_375
Currently Reading: Moving
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-375.html

Re: Views on Jodi Picoult?

Post by Gemma_375 »

The Pact was the first book I read by Jodi Picoult and I really loved it. I love the style she uses of not giving away too much at the beginning and letting the story unfold, piece by piece, with a series of flashbacks or switching to a different character for a different perspective on the issue. I also enjoy the way she raises a moral dilemma at the beginning of the novel as I find that I often have one opinion on the matter when I begin reading, and the complete opposite opinion by the time it ends! I will agree with other people here who have posted that it gets a bit much if they are read back to back, however, as they do seem to all follow the same format so it can get a bit boring. I always tend to have a Jodi Picoult book or two on my shelf that I haven't read, so I will read one, then break it up with two or three different books, before returning to read another one of hers. I have been disappointed sometimes with her, though, as some fail to draw me in as much as others (such as the last one I read: Second Glance). Overall, she is one of my favourite authors, however, and I think I have only one or two left to read before I have gone through the whole set!
Lynne55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lynne55 »

I agree with most of the reviews where it is a common theme that Jodi books are a bit the same especially if read back to back. She is an author where I am not waiting for her next release but enjoy it when it arrives. More of a beach book because you do get engrossed with the characters, she develops her story line very well and even subjects that may not firstly appeal soon get you involved as it gets more difficult to put the book down.
sparkleeyesap3

Post by sparkleeyesap3 »

I really enjoy her books. I have read all of them. I think they deal with some real life problems and real life endings. Its not always a happy ending in life.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

She's a really good writer, and is able to construct a story in a way that makes you want to keep reading it, but the basic plot and story lines of her books are repetitive. Even the questions that each book is supposed to be based on follow similar themes.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
lillshoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lillshoe.html

Post by lillshoe »

I think her books are easy reads and always interesting, but after reading several of her books, there really isnt the urge to read another one as they start becoming somewhat similar.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I love Jodi Picoult; I've read all her books.
MirandaLovesBooks19

Post by MirandaLovesBooks19 »

I love her books. She is one of my favorite authors. The first book I read of hers was My Sisters Keeper which was an amazing book. I also read Handle with Care which made me cry. It was a lovely story but the ending just took my breath away. I couldn't believe it. Harvesting the Heart was the most recent of hers I read. I loved it. Her character development is beyond superb.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

Are all of her books stand-alones?
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

yes they are Sybil1reader.
I am trying to make my way through all her books. So far I have read My Sister's Keeper, House Rules, Handle With Care, The Storyteller and am currently reading Harvesting the Heart. HR, HWC and TS are 3 of my favourite books.
txgirl88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-txgirl88.html

Post by txgirl88 »

I have always thought her books were "so so", that is, until I read The Storyteller. I am a fan of anything related to WWII, so that could be it, but I really enjoyed the book and couldn't put it down. I have recommended it to many. I have several of her other books as well...but none have pulled me in like The Storyteller.
daniellewood94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellewood94.html

Post by daniellewood94 »

I have most of Jodi's books and have enjoyed all of them! She is by far my favourite author. She always makes the books seem more 'real'
KateLouise212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelouise212.html

Post by KateLouise212 »

I think Jodi Picoult is an exceptional author. I have read most of her work and I they are always hard to put down. I wouldn't say she is my favourite author but she would have to be pretty high up. I think her writing style makes it impossible not to bound with the characters. I also love that some characters reappear in later books, although this doesn't alter the stories in any way I think it is lovely and a nice reward for people who have read previous books or hers.

-- 16 Apr 2014, 08:27 --

I think Jodi Picoult is an exceptional author. I have read most of her work and I they are always hard to put down. I wouldn't say she is my favourite author but she would have to be pretty high up. I think her writing style makes it impossible not to bound with the characters. I also love that some characters reappear in later books, although this doesn't alter the stories in any way I think it is lovely and a nice reward for people who have read previous books or hers.
chrystalclear

Post by chrystalclear »

I just finished The Tenth Circle. It was the first book by Jodi that I have read. I found the writing to be just ok, but her character development was very good. I was engrossed from the beginning. This book is also interspersed with graphic comics (with a hidden message) that I found interesting. The subject matter of the book (teenage rape, suicide, cutting) is one that is not usually covered well, but I think Jodi took a very realistic view about it. Not for the squeamish, but I definitely recommend it. I am looking forward to reading a few more from her to see how they stack up.
melsbooks78

Post by melsbooks78 »

I have read several of her books. I think she is a good writer.
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors and I have read all her books. She takes on cutting edge topics and does a good job exploring the issues from all view points.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Return to “Discuss Authors”