Views on Jodi Picoult?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Re: Views on Jodi Picoult?

Post by Sveta »

I tried to read The Pact but couldn't stand the book. I'm not a fan of courtroom books and found hers, well, boring.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
zoe2328
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe2328.html

Post by zoe2328 »

I really liked The Pact, My Sisters Keeper and Nineteen Minutes. She has an amazing way of writing- incredibly in-depth with very precise details. I would agree though that sometimes the stories seem to go on a little too long. I have tried to read a few of her others but only made it half way. The story lines are always good- but sometimes you can get lost in the details and it becomes a bit long winded.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I read Salem Falls and loved it. The concept/plot of the book was great yet I have tried reading more of her books and I can't get into them.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Natasha-whitbread

Post by Natasha-whitbread »

I've read two of her books, Cant remember the names, the first one i spent ages thinking i just wanted to scream at the female character for doing stupid things, the second book i spent the whole time thinking the same thing, so gave up reading it as it seemed that her books followed the same pattern! Every one i spoke to about her said the same thing!
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

Her writing is engrossing, but after a few of her books they started to get repetitive and boring for me. She often seems to write about a problem she sees in society. Her books are fine, but I don't always want to be moralized to while reading a novel. I tend to like books better that don't always answer the questions they raise.
beth+krueger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-krueger.html

Post by beth+krueger »

I love Jodi Picoult. My daughter brought me My Sister's Keeper which she read for a class in college and I thought it was fantastic. The Pact was great. The Storyteller is the last Jodi Picoult that I have read and It was outstanding. She has a way of writing that just sucks you right in and you feel like the characters are friends. You have to keep reading to find out what happens to them. I thnk she is great!!
Lenore Raper

Post by Lenore Raper »

I di not read the book of Jodi Picoult but I did see the movie I can relate to the mother who wants to keep her child alive, having had know of the heart ache a mother has of her child being terminally ill I really understand how she would want to do this. On the other hand she is putting a huge burden on her other child knowing that she needs to go thru these medical procedures to help keep her sister happy. The ending of the book was fantastic because while the story clearly shows of the heartache parents have when they have an ill child , in the end it was the choice of the sick child that made the decision.
Tema85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tema85.html

Post by Tema85 »

I find Jodi Picoult a fantastic author and her books are generally good once you finish reading them but yes I agree that she does tend to drag on a bit so I usually read her books once in a while.
catchingrainbows
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catchingrainbows.html

Post by catchingrainbows »

I enjoy her books. She has an amazing propensity to endear her characters to the reader. She does very well capturing very difficult topics within an engaging storyline. As a critic, her books are not those that can be read one after another. The legalese becomes repetitive and the topics can be heavy.
Ella

Post by Ella »

The first book I read of hers was My Sister's Keeper...I thought it was fantastic. Recommended it to everyone. Was thrilled to discover a new author. Kept reading her as she put them out. There's still some really good ones....but lately? Not so much. To me, it just really seems like she is strongly pushing her views onto the reader. Very annoying. Even her last one, The Storyteller...I couldn't wait to read it. The premise was great and the subject is fascinating (if you can really call it that but I'm sure you get it) but it still lacked something, and I found it very difficult to whip up much emotion or sympathy for Paige. Or perhaps I'm just outgrowing her books?
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Post by claire mckay »

I liked Faith which was the first one of hers I read and got very caught up in it as didn't know where it was going. Couple of other ones have not been as good and bit more forgettable.
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
Sarah D
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-d.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by Sarah D »

I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult. I love the way her books take on deep personal issues. The whole time you read them you have to ask "what would I do?" She challenges the reader to acknowledge that world is never just black and white.
veronica1828jm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica1828jm.html

Post by veronica1828jm »

I have only read one of her books which was called "the pact", and at first I found it very boring, I could not seem to get into it at all but then a friend of mine told me it gets better as you read. So I restarted the book from the begining and I actually ended up really enjoying it. I thought the book was great. I am looking foward to reading more from her.
willow-bookomaniac

Post by willow-bookomaniac »

Bookworm2011 wrote:I enjoy reading Jodi Picoult books once in a while but I find that they are very repetitive. She is really good at catching a reader's attention and keeping it, but I find I can't read her books one after another because I feel like I am reading the same thing.
She is definitely a good author but most of her books seem repetitive ....
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I have thoroughly enjoyed every book that I have read by Jodi Picoult. 19 minutes was an extremely well written book about a terrible topic. It gives great insight into the thoughts, fears, securities and insecurities of teenagers today. I highly recommend this book to any parent - especially parents with middle school or high school children.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Return to “Discuss Authors”