Views on Jodi Picoult?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Re: Views on Jodi Picoult?

Post by sflaherty42 »

She has a talent for writing and deals with issues I think a lot of authors steer clear of. I like that fact that a lot of her novels have twists in them. There are definitely some that are better than others. Her books do tend to be repetitive and have similar themes.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

KB92 wrote:Every book I have read by Jodi Picoult I thought was fantastic. The first book I ever read by her was The Pact and I HIGHLY recommend it. She really knows how to get you attached to the characters she is writing about. Her books are a little long but I have never spent more than 3 or 4 days on one of her books because I get so wrapped up in it. She is definitely one of my favorite writers. :)
The first book I read by her was The Pact too and it was wonderful, it got me interested in her books for sure.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
LC Erickson
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lc-erickson.html

Post by LC Erickson »

I've read a few Jodi Picoult novels after hearing friends rave about her. I started with The Pact and was quickly drawn into the story by the complex characters. This story starts off with a bang! Although the story line is tragic, it was a well written book.

I then read House Rules, which is about a teenager with Asperger's syndrome who is fascinated with crimes scenes and forensics. I found the characters slightly less well-developed, although the story was intriguing and I learned alot about Asperger's.

I have just finished reading Lone Wolf. A friend warned me that this novel is actually alot about wolves, which I wasn't all that interested in at first, however I did keep reading. The story is a bit far fetched but not a terrible read.

I can see how people feel that her books are somewhat predictable or repetitive. Her formula for writing is similar in the books I've read so far (tragic life event, family drama, legal battle, twist at the end).
Krism1004
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krism1004.html

Post by Krism1004 »

She is hit and miss for me. She always starts strong, but I find my self getting bored and pushing myself to finish instead of being excited to see what's coming.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I love her books. I enjoy the issues she raises and the twists that occur.
CassyS
Currently Reading: Trauma Stewardship
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassys.html
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre

Post by CassyS »

I have read all of her books and have enjoyed them all. My favorites by her are Nineteen Minutes, My Sister's Keeper, Handle With Care, and Lone Wolf. I enjoy how each book revolves around a controversial topic that usually stems from a moral or ethical; she always does a great job of giving very compelling arguments for both sides of the issue. And I think she does a really good job of balancing the legal aspect with the personal lives of the characters.
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I enjoyed some of her earlier books (Mercy, Salem Falls, Perfect Match, but some of her most recent ones were disappointing (Lone Wolf, Tenth Circle. I did like The Storyteller.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Was forced to read My Sister’s Keeper for school and I decided I would never read a book from her again. I very much disliked the book and will never read anything from her again.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I haven't read any of her works except Nineteen Minutes which I liked so much that I went out and searched everywhere I could for a hard copy just so I could see it on my shelf.
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

I have enjoyed every book I read by Jodi Picoult. My Sister's Keeper is my favorite book by far.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Most of the books I have read of hers are in the courtroom but they usually interest me a lot. It can seem quite draining after a bit though.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

She has been one of my favorites since high school. She graduated from law school, so most of her books have some sort of courtroom scene or law aspect. I feel like she addresses most controversial topics well.

Return to “Discuss Authors”