Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

Post by anwidmer »

Do you have a preference in gender for writing and if so whats the reason? I recently got into a debate on this subject. I personally feel it makes no difference especially since some female authors use male pen names. Its interesting to me to see others points of view. Also if you can state your favorite author be it male or female and why their gender may play a role in your feelings. :D
lianne_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lianne_ »

Well honestly you don't need to have references about who the author is or what the author is. Female or Male author can have different point of views, beliefs, the way they share their thoughts, etc but there are only things that they want to do and that is to inspire the readers, to entertain and to give information. We are all equal, a author have only one goal that is to share their ideas and their feelings. Different point of views, different authors-it can be a male or female but there is only one purpose, to write and that writing will be the eye-opener, an advice, inspiration, and etc.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I gravitate more towards female authors (or at least authors with female names) because they write in genres more appealing to me. I have been reading a lot of cozy paranormal mysteries lately and they all seem to be female names.

However, I do not shy away from male authors. One of my favorite books is Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty; if this novel had been written by a male, I would question the authenticity as it is the journal of a teenage high school girl.

That being said, men and women can possibly (and frequently succeed) write the opposite gender authentically, but it is our own prejudices that may make us gravitate towards specific gendered authors. I find I relate more to female characters which are often written by female authors, but I will not dismiss a book simply based on character or author gender. In fact, I have read several books recently written by men about male characters and found myself enjoying them more than I expected.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I don't particularly care for gender, I just like good stuff but generally most of the good stuff I've read were written by men.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Patox »

Yes, for romance I prefer female authors. Ladies weave nice stories of love and life. I sometimes get lost in their world.
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 »

I don't have a preference, but most of the books I read are written by female authors. I read a lot of contemporary, paranormal, and historical romance.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I don't have a preference but I noticed that a lot of romance is written by female authors whereas chinese translated web novels tend to be written by male writers which leads to me reading more books written by men than women.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Nope. Gender doesn't matter for me. Only thing that matter is the content they write..the more its interesting the more adorable author becomes.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I've never really thought about this before, but I guess to me the story is the most important thing whether written by a woman or man doesn't really matter to me.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I personally feel that it doesn't matter. I never pay attention to that. I'm a huge fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon and a lot of her characters are male. Her being a woman doesn't detract from her ability to portray the rawness of her male characters.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

While I don't have a preference on the gender of the author, I definitely prefer to have a female protagonist in fantasy and sci-fi books.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I have no real preference. I read whatever I feel is interesting. It's important to choose nonfiction texts by authors who know what they're talking about. You wouldn't look for a personal life account about pregnancy or PCOS from a man, but it'd be fine to look into research data from a qualified scientist/doctor be they male or female. As for fiction, I've personally not found one gender to be better or worse than the other. It's strictly dependant on writing abilities.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Gender doesn't factor into what I read whatsoever, but I would LOVE to see some romance books written by men for a change. Or maybe just some innovative women. That sounded a little bit sexist in my head, but I didn't mean it to come across that way. I just mean that men might think a little differently to women, and it'd be nice to see that for a change.

I'm sick of reading about helpless women needing to be saved, or the man being controlling. I want to read something raw and realistic that doesn't directly feed into fantasy. But I suppose romance is definitely the wrong the wrong genre for that... It is literally wish fulfillment.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I don't care for author’s gender, race or religion. It is only important that the author writes good books.
Beautiful language and interesting plot is more important than the gender of the author.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I personally have no problem with the gender of the author.All that matters is the content in the book whether it appeals to me or not

Return to “Discuss Authors”