Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
complimentarymatters
Bookshelf Size: 0

Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

Post by complimentarymatters »

Where do you think authors get their inspiration? What kinds of things do you think motivate authors and influence their writing?
mmenzel

Post by mmenzel »

This is always something that is interesting to me and I made sure to include this question in the info section that our authors fill out. For some it is a childhood situation, issues that they are interested in or just a really great imagination! :P
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

That is an excellent question, I would assume from life itself..experiences..love..pain..memories..ordeals..fleeting thoughts..drunkness..other people..IMAGINATION! haha..everything..everything :wink:
surabhi279

Post by surabhi279 »

i think they get it from what they observe around themselves in their life.. or people who they know..
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

This is pretty much easy to answer...authors get ideas I
think from past experiences in life, and also would have
a vivid imagination.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

surabhi279 wrote:i think they get it from what they observe around themselves in their life.. or people who they know..
I know that this is true for Chuck Palahniuk. because if you read his book of short essays, "stranger than fiction" you can see where he gets the inspiration for a lot of his books. He goes to some of the weirdest events and writes essays about them.
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I'd like to think that authors pull their inspiration from every day experiences, people they know, people they imagine, maybe even from things they have read in the past. I know that's where I get my inspiration from when I write.

I think its true: you write how you read. If you read more sci-fi and fiction, you're probably more likely to write that genre than anything else.

What ever the inspiration, I'm glad they have it because I love reading it all.
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
NVJones
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nvjones.html

Post by NVJones »

I think all your answers are correct. It's my belief that authors will pull their inspiration from every facet of life--dreams, personal experiences: present and past, imagination, historical accounts, mythology, etc.
To me, dreams are the biggest source of stories. If you happen to dream every night, and in Technicolor, stories often come forth
Shadogirl

Post by Shadogirl »

Thats something i would love to know!! It would make you feel more in tune with them
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Inspiration can be drawn from anything and everything. Authors can get inspiration from life experience, family, friends, books, and all other forms of media.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Like everyone said I think it mainly comes from their life experience. Some authors might have some message to deliver or they want to make some kind of change and they use their writing skills to influence others.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

Mostly the people the books they read, the people they know, and experiences they have. Booze and drugs, too.
kennyhop
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennyhop.html

Post by kennyhop »

They have dreams and "come to Jesus" moments.

Some just pull creativeness out of their butt.
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Literally everywhere.
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

GandalfTheFey wrote:Booze and drugs, too.
This does indeed apply to some authors! We can file under "life experience," I guess! :lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Discuss Authors”