Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
celiacloureiro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by celiacloureiro »

Personaly, I believe man are better in describing situations, women describing feelings.

It's always complicated to find a women telling about a situation without, simply, refering to the character's feelings, as for men, they describe the situation and take the character back, to an intimate place, where he'll be free to re-think the occurred.

Still, in general:

Who's a better writter?
Moore

Post by Moore »

I think it doesn't matter as everything depends on the talent of the person. If the talent is present, then the sex of the person is not important. :D
MrWright

Post by MrWright »

MEN

Only jokin. I don't know really, there are good and bad writers of both sexes.
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

Nothing is better than or lesser than. Only different than. To think anything or anyone is better is a judgment with no basis in reality.
liyulianyanyu

Post by liyulianyanyu »

I understand what you said.Yes.woman is perceptual.They should write the lyric articles.
Erudite

Post by Erudite »

That's easy. The same as who's the worst writer... neither.
Fee Verte

Post by Fee Verte »

Hermaphrodites, did you ever check out the writings of Facetious? (a contemporary of Plato)
brownnataly21

Post by brownnataly21 »

Everyone is good if he or she has a gift to write and to depict the feeling s and attitudes rather well.
thelizardking

Post by thelizardking »

Haha, wow. :lol: This is very subjective to the person's talent and skills in writing rather than an f'n gender. ;)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gender has nothing to do with it ... I have read books thinking the author was male and discovered otherwise and vice versa.

There are many influences when selecting a book but I can honestly say the gender of the author has never even entered my mind.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first.
Fee Verte

Post by Fee Verte »

Men are better at writing thrillers and horror
Mary Shelley did rather well.
the limitations of her gender
Care to explain further? :?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first.
Oh my goodness a neanderthal in our midst & there was I thinking you were a 21st century guy! How very sexist of you ... no wonder you like fantasy!
Fee Verte

Post by Fee Verte »

John Norman's nauseating Gor series springs to mind.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
StephenKingman wrote:Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first.
Oh my goodness a neanderthal in our midst & there was I thinking you were a 21st century guy! How very sexist of you ... no wonder you like fantasy!
No, not sexist just giving my own opinion. Im not living in the 1940s with regard to my views on women and equality, im just saying that of all the books that i have read from crime to horror (i HATE fantasy!!) to thrillers etc, i have personally found that men make the superior author in these genres. They tend to just stick to logical facts and develop the character in such a way that they dont pause to describe their inner emotional turmoil every 5 seconds which a lot of female authors do. That way you can relate to and care about the character when his motivations and feelings are doled out in small quantities rather than wearing you down with constant mumbo jumbo about "This feels wrong, i love my wife (X200) etc etc. Its quality of character development not quantity.

Women authors tend to excel in romantic novels because they are more attuned to their feelings than men are and this helps them with their descriptive talent to writing novels. Not at all am i saying that they are inferior authors i am just saying that personally i find men can write better thrillers and horror.

Return to “Discuss Authors”