Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Also, if one more person tries to tell me that women are only good at writing touchy feely books, I just might scream
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Neither. The sex or gender of the person has in no possible effect on how she or he writes. It is either talent or nothing.
shanlife-2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanlife-2.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by shanlife-2 »

Sex should not be considered in writing, both can do a great job. Writing is something within a person.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I don't think it is about male or female. It is about the individual, his/her experiences, natural talent and educational background.
Ab1mbo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ab1mbo »

It is about the reason for writing what you intend to write. Bringing your creativity and passion to play, what has sex got to do with writing ?
I am happy to be here. I am Bukoladeremi from Lagos, Nigeria
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

MrWright wrote: 12 Mar 2010, 10:39 MEN

Only jokin. I don't know really, there are good and bad writers of both sexes.
Agreed. It's not fair to say overall that one is better than the other. It just depends on the writer
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

celiacloureiro wrote: 11 Mar 2010, 21:27 Personaly, I believe man are better in describing situations, women describing feelings.

It's always complicated to find a women telling about a situation without, simply, refering to the character's feelings, as for men, they describe the situation and take the character back, to an intimate place, where he'll be free to re-think the occurred.

Still, in general:

Who's a better writter?
It's a good thing I seen your second comment about this subject, or I was going to have a few choice words for you, just kidding. :roll: I believe that it doesn't matter the gender of the author. Great works has and will continue to come from great authors.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think it's not right to generalize things. Each author, regardless of gender, has his own strong and weak points when it comes to writing. Besides, readers also have varying opinions. For some readers, a particular author may be good at describing emotions, but others may disagree.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

Whilst I think men and women are capable of writing equally, there are more good male authors than female ones. I am not saying that female authors are bad. I am simply saying that because historically females were discouraged from going into writing there have been more male authors and therefore more successful male authors. Even if we look at the situation at the moment there are more male authors than female ones. The important thing to do is to encourage people of both sexes to become authors.
Carlenexxx

Post by Carlenexxx »

I would definitely say men....I have read a ton of books...and I find men to be better
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I think both are good in their own ways but for feminist writers, I think female writers a better.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Carlenexxx wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 20:35 I would definitely say men....I have read a ton of books...and I find men to be better
Maybe you have not read enough good books :hand: There are a lot of women writers out there. The major problem that I can see is because of a male dominate society, it has taken women longer to receive recognition in just about everything they do. Keep an open mind that just as a man, a woman can as well. :lol:
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I think before you can tell, we would have to get rid of pen names. Even then, if you truly knew the gender of the writer, I do not think that has anything to do with who is best between male and female. I think it is like a good wine. If it smells good to you, tastes good, then to you it is good.

If you like a book, it reads well and gives you satisfaction and entertainment, then it will not matter what so-called experts say or polls regarding men and women say, to you it will just be a good book. I don't think men or women have the ability to write better or write certain things better, I think they are equal as long as they are writing something that makes them feel so they make us, the readers, feel.

My daughter and son are my prime examples. My daughter studies in a quiet environment, perhaps a bit of music. She writes very interesting papers on things she is interested in such as embryology or psychiatry. My son is what I refer to as a chaotic learner. He does multiple things at once, listens to a podcast, and writes science fiction or fantasy stories. One is not better than the other, but the people who read each article may say one is better than the other depending on what they like to read. I'm lucky.

I love a good psychological encounter that deals with the embryonic state of something. At the same time, isn't that what superheroes and science fiction characters are all about? A small embryo of an idea that grows into something amazing. :) Read what you like, and if you like what you read, gender will not matter. Always remember you may never know the gender. :)
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

Men and women are equally good writers but in romance, I prefer those written by women. For crime novels, I prefer those written by men.
Maja Saveva

Post by Maja Saveva »

Gender has nothing to do with the talent a person has. Both men and women can write very good or very bad. It doesn't depend on the sex.

Return to “Discuss Authors”