Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is an author I admire a lot. My sister loves her books but has one problem. She says Chimamanda pays little regard to African culture in her books. For example, she doesn't like that Obinze cheated on his wife and left his family for Ifemelu in Americanah. As far as she is concerned, that's a slap on African culture. I think it's good that she writes that way. It may not be an accepted African culture, but these things do happen in Africa. She just writes realistic stories. I like that she rebels against the system and how society kills the real people within people. However, I think she goes a little too far with feminism, but that's just my opinion. What do you think about her and her books?
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I’m three-quarters of the way through Half of a Yellow Sun. It's my first encounter with Adichie, and quite a bit of the cultural/political commentary went over my head, but her skill in creating a compelling cast of characters kept me turning the pages. My knowledge of African culture is very limited, so I won't pretend to have an opinion on that question, but I'm interested to read what other people think. I especially loved the relationship she developed between Olanna and her twin sister Kainene. The chronology of the book threw me at first (she goes back and forth between early and late 60s) - still not sure what I think about that. What are your favorite books by Adichie?
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I have read Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's first novel, Purple Hibiscus. I think she fairly represents the socio-cultural realities which shape and order the typical Nigerian family within the period the narrative was set.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Ashley Simon wrote:I’m three-quarters of the way through Half of a Yellow Sun. It's my first encounter with Adichie, and quite a bit of the cultural/political commentary went over my head, but her skill in creating a compelling cast of characters kept me turning the pages. My knowledge of African culture is very limited, so I won't pretend to have an opinion on that question, but I'm interested to read what other people think. I especially loved the relationship she developed between Olanna and her twin sister Kainene. The chronology of the book threw me at first (she goes back and forth between early and late 60s) - still not sure what I think about that. What are your favorite books by Adichie?

My favourite is Purple Hibiscus. It was her first novel and we had to read it in school. She is a woman of strong opinions and it shows in her books. I think she has a thing for throwing people off a bit :no-spoil: I saw the movie of Half of a Yellow Sun. My parents have told me a lot about the war so I could relate to an extent. I hope you enjoy and appreciate the story.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html

Post by Ashley Simon »

Vivian Paschal wrote:
Ashley Simon wrote:I’m three-quarters of the way through Half of a Yellow Sun. It's my first encounter with Adichie, and quite a bit of the cultural/political commentary went over my head, but her skill in creating a compelling cast of characters kept me turning the pages. My knowledge of African culture is very limited, so I won't pretend to have an opinion on that question, but I'm interested to read what other people think. I especially loved the relationship she developed between Olanna and her twin sister Kainene. The chronology of the book threw me at first (she goes back and forth between early and late 60s) - still not sure what I think about that. What are your favorite books by Adichie?

My favourite is Purple Hibiscus. It was her first novel and we had to read it in school. She is a woman of strong opinions and it shows in her books. I think she has a thing for throwing people off a bit :no-spoil: I saw the movie of Half of a Yellow Sun. My parents have told me a lot about the war so I could relate to an extent. I hope you enjoy and appreciate the story.

I've wanted to read Purple Hibiscus for a while. I'll have to check it out!
Damilola Oyebanji
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Damilola Oyebanji »

I actually admire Chimamanda's contribution to Literature. Her Purple Hibiscus ridiculed religious hypocrisy and fanaticism. Some Africans embraced the foreign religions and western values blindly. Eugene condemns bowing for the traditional rulers, yet he bows to the Pope and kisses his ring.
However, I find fault with Half of a Yellow Sun and Americana. In as much as I condemn the genocide on the Igbos, I feel that the Author is biased. Literature should be didactic. At least, I expected her to reveal, in the exposition, what the Igbos did to ignite that inferno and at the end of it all, proffer suggestions to avert such treatment in future. Olanna's refusal to get married to her partner before moving in with him is a slap on the Igbo culture. She defies the tradition she claims to be defending. Thus, feminism is taken to the extreme.
She committed the same cultural assault in Americana. Sleeping around with men overseas, cutting connection with Obinze, encouraging a married man in committing adultery and at the end of the day, hijacks the man from his wife and family. To me, that's feminism taken too far.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I liked Purple Hibiscus and a lot more than Half of a Yellow Sun.
This was probably because Purple Hibiscus follows the thoughts of a single character. Following a single character, generally pulls me deeper into the story and prevents any disturbances as I immerse myself in the world of the novel.
Also and more importantly, Kambili was a character that made you feel, with the things she said and even more with the things she did not say. The feeling of a voice suppressed was given voice this way.
Lovely359
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Lovely359 »

I really enjoyed reading Americanah, because the characters in y opinion were meant to be flawed. Adichie does a great job at showing more than one side of a person, which I believe is what literature should do. I remember in school they would teach the different ways to learn about a character 1. What the character does/says about themselves 2. What others say or do about the character 3. What the narrator says about a character and 4. What the author implies about a character. Adichie does a great job of creating dimensional characters.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a fabulous writer. I love Americanah
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I know Adichie from school when we read one of her TED speeches. However, I do not know any of her books in detail.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I would say she is a prolific writer. I also love how she packages African history, culture and politics in her books and how she generally addresses contemporary issues like feminism. I feel that her books are so similar.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

I am incapable of judging her based on the question. Ive read Americanah and I thought it could have more representation, but perhaps that didn't fit into the narrative well. It would be an excellent question to ask her directly.

Return to “Discuss Authors”