Does anyone read classical literature any more?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Goaldiggergirl
Currently Reading: My Sister, My Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Does anyone read classical literature any more?

Post by Goaldiggergirl »

There's still people who red classical literature. I known some friends who's very fanatic of reading classical books.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I read classical literature, I love it. One of my goals is to read all the classics.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Sandi
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Blessed Child</a>
Currently Reading: The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Sandi »

I recently re-read War and Peace and enjoyed it this time, rather than feeling like I was struggling to keep going. I frequently re-read favorites by Jane Austin, Dickens and others. Really good books can be read over and over with the discovery of something new every time.
chloe0x29a
Currently Reading: Lustmord
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chloe0x29a »

I love classic literature. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Vernes, Emerson, Lovecraft. Even old philosophy and things that shaped history.....Marx, H.G. Wells, Nietzche (sp?). I find it helps to understand our world and societies by being able to read what has shaped it. IMHO
mindlesslover420
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by mindlesslover420 »

I haven't read a whole lot of classics but when I do re-read the ones I've read, I seem to always find a new meaning to the story, I guess that's probably my favorite part.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I still read classics. Sometimes I'd rather read the classics over all the other nonsense of today's writing.
Firedrake
Currently Reading: Flamecaster
Bookshelf Size: 696
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firedrake.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Firedrake »

I first discovered classical literature in junior high -- read all the way through everything I could find by Alexandre Dumas (and he had some loooong books), read Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Hawthorne, and went on a serious Hesse kick in high school. The Illiad and the Odyssey, Bram Stoker, Shakespeare -- you name it. A college Medieval and Renaissance Lit course opened me up to Chaucer. I also read science fiction, fantasy, mystery, and children's books. Now I still read, and "The Count of Monte Cristo" is still one of my favorite books.

After all, the reason that a book is considered a classic is that enough people found it compelling enough for it to be still be read for generations after it was first written. And some of the popular books of today will be the classics of tomorrow.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

I do read classics, but I definitely have to be in the mood for it because I feel compelled to try and analyze the book. I'm currently learning French and am pretty excited to get my hands on some French classics in a year and a half or so and read them in the original French.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I may not like or dislike classical literature. Because I love to read books. Though most of my reading are more on Non-fiction books. But I think It's better for me to watch classical literature than to read it.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

My favorite classic is Animal Farm. I have just bought a book by HP Lovecraft, so I will start reading his work soon, too. I have not particularly enjoyed any other classics enough for them to stick in my mind.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I read it from time to time. Most of them are good. I try to switch between different genres, topics and ages, so every now and then it's classical.
Pmoser
Currently Reading: The Colonels
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Pmoser »

I enjoy the classics as much as anything else I might read. Although my favorite genre is mystery/thriller, followed closely by military history, I still pick up one of the classics every once in awhile. I would have to say my authors of choice would be Fitzgerald and Dickens, but I also enjoy Wolfe, Hugo, and others.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I thank high school for introducing me to classical books. For a complete year all I read was classic books. Lately I seem to choose other genres, but I do have around 5 classics I intend to read this year.
verbals
Currently Reading: The Moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 583

Post by verbals »

I’m getting so much from reading classics at 52 that I wonder how useful it would have been to read these books at 16; how many life lessons I would have been gifted, because if there’s a connective tissue between classics, it’s the wisdom in the writing.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

Yes, I love classical literature, especially Dickens, I find the social criticism and humor that it often contains to enhance the reading experience.

Return to “Discuss Authors”