How do you feel able E.L. James?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Icon How do you feel able E.L. James?

Post by cvega93 »

Personally, I have a lot of mixed emotions with her as an author, to be completely honest. I mean, bravo on her success, but the way she published 'Grey' as a kind of copy-paste of the first one, I felt, was disastrous.
KansasJ
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansasj.html

Post by KansasJ »

Her entire story is fan fic of twilight. The whole story line of 3 books was maybe 4 chapters. I was not impressed. I've read some amazing fan fic authors whom I WISH would publish, or even just take over a series from an obviously disinterested author, but James is a one trick pony, in my opinion. I don't see anything truly original in her stories.
cvega93

Post by cvega93 »

KansasJ wrote:Her entire story is fan fic of twilight. The whole story line of 3 books was maybe 4 chapters. I was not impressed. I've read some amazing fan fic authors whom I WISH would publish, or even just take over a series from an obviously disinterested author, but James is a one trick pony, in my opinion. I don't see anything truly original in her stories.
I HONESTLY THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I mean, seriously, I tried to like her books and I read them, but only because it was the popular book at the time and I'm the type to read an entire series even if it's terrible. I despised her stories and when I found out about the movies I was like...this shouldn't be a movie!!
I also feel the same way about Tara Sue Me. It's the same concept except she already knew he was a dominant and she does the same thing that James did with Grey, a copy paste of the first book put in the guy's POV.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I think people give E.L. James a bad wrap but I have read the Fifty Shades Trilogy several times. I enjoy Anastasia! The writing is not epic but much of it is internal dialogue. How complex are our conversations with our inner selves? Overall, the sexual tension and the chemistry between Christian and Anastasia is present and accounted for. This is, after all, what many readers of erotic fiction are after. For many, the wham, bam thank you mam is enough. I enjoy insight into characters including their faults, their insecurities, their hopes and dreams, etc. James provides these aspects of the story albeit in simplistic prose. I wish I could make millions of dollars even when everyone says my writing sucks!
cvega93

Post by cvega93 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I think people give E.L. James a bad wrap but I have read the Fifty Shades Trilogy several times. I enjoy Anastasia! The writing is not epic but much of it is internal dialogue. How complex are our conversations with our inner selves? Overall, the sexual tension and the chemistry between Christian and Anastasia is present and accounted for. This is, after all, what many readers of erotic fiction are after. For many, the wham, bam thank you mam is enough. I enjoy insight into characters including their faults, their insecurities, their hopes and dreams, etc. James provides these aspects of the story albeit in simplistic prose. I wish I could make millions of dollars even when everyone says my writing sucks!
See, the development of the characters wasn't the issue for me. She is a good writer, but even good writers have their flaws. I don't like how most of the time it seems like Christian was more on the abusive/manipulative side. Even though he didn't physically put his hands on her, there was still quite a bit of emotional/psychological abuse going on. It happens in life yes, but I feel it was portrayed wrong. I feel the entire BDSM aspect was also portrayed wrong too.
Jennifer Allsbrook

cvega93 wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I think people give E.L. James a bad wrap but I have read the Fifty Shades Trilogy several times. I enjoy Anastasia! The writing is not epic but much of it is internal dialogue. How complex are our conversations with our inner selves? Overall, the sexual tension and the chemistry between Christian and Anastasia is present and accounted for. This is, after all, what many readers of erotic fiction are after. For many, the wham, bam thank you mam is enough. I enjoy insight into characters including their faults, their insecurities, their hopes and dreams, etc. James provides these aspects of the story albeit in simplistic prose. I wish I could make millions of dollars even when everyone says my writing sucks!
See, the development of the characters wasn't the issue for me. She is a good writer, but even good writers have their flaws. I don't like how most of the time it seems like Christian was more on the abusive/manipulative side. Even though he didn't physically put his hands on her, there was still quite a bit of emotional/psychological abuse going on. It happens in life yes, but I feel it was portrayed wrong. I feel the entire BDSM aspect was also portrayed wrong too.
That may be true. I don't have any personal experience with the BDSM life style or approach to sexuality so I don't know how true to form the story's portrayal is. I have however suffered physical, emotional and psychological abuse at the hands of someone who was supposed to "love" me. Christian was controlling, quick to anger, and often "punished" Anastasia. The punishment occurred in the realm of BDSM. My abuse was with belittlement, criticism, fists and broken bones. I don't know...it all took place in a fictional story that I knew was fiction. I enjoyed it and was able to step into Anastasia's shoes or bonds as it where for just a little while. Isn't that what makes a good story? Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a story's value is also, based on the experiences and frame of reference of the reader. What is crap to one person is often gold to another.
cvega93

Post by cvega93 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
cvega93 wrote:
That may be true. I don't have any personal experience with the BDSM life style or approach to sexuality so I don't know how true to form the story's portrayal is. I have however suffered physical, emotional and psychological abuse at the hands of someone who was supposed to "love" me. Christian was controlling, quick to anger, and often "punished" Anastasia. The punishment occurred in the realm of BDSM. My abuse was with belittlement, criticism, fists and broken bones. I don't know...it all took place in a fictional story that I knew was fiction. I enjoyed it and was able to step into Anastasia's shoes or bonds as it where for just a little while. Isn't that what makes a good story? Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a story's value is also, based on the experiences and frame of reference of the reader. What is crap to one person is often gold to another.
It is true that most things were meant to be in the 'sense' of BDSM, but in the world of BDSM, most of his actions didn't fall under the safe, sane, consensual rule they follow.
In the sense of what you went through, I am so very sorry you went through that. I can't even begin to imagine how you must have felt during that entire ordeal. The way you speak of it seems as through you are out of it and for that you are stronger than most to even write a quite statement about it. I highly commend you!
I do agree with you though. I find Ellen Hopkins to be my all time favorite author, but I've had friends tell me her writing isn't worth a crock of sh**.
Jennifer Allsbrook

Crock of sh** :lol: It was along time ago and I am a stronger person. I am glad though for my fictional escapes to this day. The stress of long day disappears in the pages of a good book. Sexy stories are my favorite!!
cvega93

Post by cvega93 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:Crock of sh** :lol: It was along time ago and I am a stronger person. I am glad though for my fictional escapes to this day. The stress of long day disappears in the pages of a good book. Sexy stories are my favorite!!
Your strength is an inspiration! I love the sexy ones too. I write them in my free time, but I don't ever think I'll go anywhere with them. I'm too shy to honestly share it. :oops: But, since you love the sexy ones, the Inside Out series by Lisa Renee Jones might interest you. It's a very involved series. Lost of different POVs! Also...um...I believe the Beautiful Bastard series might be one too. It's by Christina...something...I think lol
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Lol, I was just writing about her on another topic. I feel like she wrote an abuse fantasy that could have used another round of editing, but otherwise was fine enough for what it was. When it started doing harm was when the detailed and realistic portrayal of abuse was labeled as "romance," and aimed at a mainstream audience.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
cvega93

Post by cvega93 »

Rebeccaej wrote:Lol, I was just writing about her on another topic. I feel like she wrote an abuse fantasy that could have used another round of editing, but otherwise was fine enough for what it was. When it started doing harm was when the detailed and realistic portrayal of abuse was labeled as "romance," and aimed at a mainstream audience.
I definitely agree! I always saw most of what was going on as romanticized abuse and that Christian had very manipulative tendencies that also crossed into being a stalker and an abuser, but throwing the BDSM aspect into it when he wasn't even at a good mental place himself was a head shaker. And then everyone wanted to be Chrstian Grey or Anastasia Steele. I feel like she portrayed Anastasia to be weak and feeble minded (which honestly, most of these 'submissive protagonsits' seem as though they NEED a man to be okay in the book) instead of havinga strong sense of self worth in a lot of parts where she should have. I'm rambling lol but I dewfinitely agree.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Honestly, I felt that the book was poorly narrated. The characters felt a bit 2 dimensional and predictable as well.
Jsaman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jsaman »

I think her success is great, but I have lot of issues with the characters. I also cannot stand the way the way it was narrated. If I had to read how one more time how much Ana loved Christian I was going to throw my e-reader out the window.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I read the series out of sheer curiosity. I applaud her success, but to me it read exactly like a Twilight fanfic. And not a great one either. I can understand why people like it. I just personally didn't. I couldn't relate to Ana. I also never really understood why she had such a hold over Christian. Overall, I think she can write some smut but without much character development.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ugh. I don't think she deserved any of the success she got out of those books. They were poorly written and had so many errors that it was horrifying. Her characters were terrible, annoying, and poorly developed. Not to mention the fact that she played off abuse as love. If she'd actually portrayed Christian for what he was--an abusive controlling jerk--and had Anastasia eventually learn how terrible he was and escape, it would've been a much better story and I'd be able to give it a TINY bit of credit, but nope.

Return to “Discuss Authors”