Jeffery Eugenides (The Virgin Suicides, Middlesex)

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
giorgia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jeffery Eugenides (The Virgin Suicides, Middlesex)

Post by giorgia »

personally i think Eugenides is a talented and unique author. to my knowledge he has only written two novels, does anybody know of any authors like him?
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

Usually when people talk about Middlesex I've heard them refer to a writer named Wally Lamb. I haven't read any of his novels yet but he has a handful out.
strainglia
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strainglia.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by strainglia »

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

The story is narrated by a group of middle-aged men who recount the tragedy met by the Lisbon girls, who committed suicide for unknown reason(s). It revolves on different accounts of the Lisbon girls' lives collected and firsthand encounters with them --- from describing their house, strict mother, effeminate father, their smell, how they act, etc. until the girls met their own demise.

Reading it is a combination of boredom, a bit of satiety, and creepiness. Boredom cause it is a collection of accounts from interviews made by the narrators which makes me want to scream "Where the F are you getting at?! *rolls eyes*". Satiety when some words hit me, particularly some part at the beginning and at the end of the book. Creepiness for they are middle-aged men haven't gotten over their obsession with the girls, not to mention the sexual side of it.

I am not sure if their suicide means a cry for help or another sign of ego-centrism but it definitely depicts that something is wrong which needs more attention. What it is, I don't know.
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

Started Middlesex and have yet to finish, not Eugenides fault but my lack of attention span when starting. He's another well thought out writer, would definitely read his works.
CaseyLaundrie
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by CaseyLaundrie »

I have only begun to read The Virgin Suicides. I think his style is unique, and his choice to have that "floating" narrative really threw me off at first. I was trying to nail down who was telling the story, and once I read up on the book a little more it all started to make sense.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I really enjoyed The Virgin Suicides. I watched the movie first, years ago, mostly because it was when Kirsten Dunst was a relatively big name and I liked her. The whole plot is heartbreaking, but I agree with earlier comments that something was wrong and needed attention. It may be a commentary on how we will watch train wrecks but never step out of our comfort zone to help, which is how the 911 system came about in America (re: Kitty Genovese).
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Virgin Suicides is a beautiful and tragic novel, but Middlesex was on a whole other level in my opinion. Eugenides created a story that I genuinely think everybody should read at least once, even if it takes a while to get through. I know there were slow parts in it, and I myself struggled to get into it at the beginning, but the story is so important to pay attention to, especially for young people who are trying to figure out who they are.

I haven't read any of his other work, but from a google search I can see that he is still writing and has released a novel as recently as 2017. I will add his most recent book (Fresh Complaint) to my reading list and report back upon finishing it.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Middlesex is an amazingly written book, it is so unique and gripping. I wish Eugenides would write more like this. He did publish a third novel, The Marriage Plot, which was good but not at the level of Middlesex. I still need to read The Virgin Suicides but I loved the movie. He just published a short story collection in 2017 but I haven’t read that yet
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I have been reading "Middlesex" since OCTOBER!!! I am a fairly quick reader... a book the size of Middlesex usually would take me no longer than 2-3 weeks around my schedule. It isn't that the book is bad, its actually really well written, but it took me a while to get into it. There are sooo many details (good thing) that it just takes a long time to get invested in the characters and the story. I have read a few other books since starting Middlesex, for other obligations, and that has slowed me down as well, but it IS a long read. Recommend, but be prepared to invest some time! (:
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
danicommissions
Currently Reading: The Solution is Political Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danicommissions.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by danicommissions »

I would add, in discussing Middlesex - the protagonist, Cal, is intersex, but intersex people & intersex rights organisations are generally not a fan of the book's representation of intersex people. I've heard that it's meant to be a well-written book and very absorbing, but probably worth taking its depiction of intersex issues with a pinch of salt (Eugenides isn't intersex, also).
bhumika123

Post by bhumika123 »

Hey. I read your post, it is very nice ... Thank you for posting such an informational blog. We are providing support for canon printer not printing.

Return to “Discuss Authors”