Favorite fantasy writers

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Favorite fantasy writers

Post by Tami216- »

Cinda Williams Chima is personally one of my favorite authors. She writes beautifully about things that are sometimes overdone and her plots are always unique and surprising. You can never know what will happen next because the plots are so intricate and fast paced that you don't have time to think about. Whenever I pick up one of her books I know I won't be able to get away from it until I'm through. I have read her heir series which is written in our regular world but with a secret conflict-filled magical world that has different guilds of gifted people. Another series she has written is the seven realms which is set in a medieval sort of world that has all sorts of magical people as well as regular people living together. I would highly recommend either of these to anyone who enjoys fantasy. The characters always become like a close friend to me and all their stories blend together seamlessly.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
portia1239
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-portia1239.html

Post by portia1239 »

My favorite fantasy author is Terry Goodkind. The Sword of Truth series is an epic story to get lost in. I devoured every book and was never disappointed, however I was always left with great anticipation to get my hands on the next book.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

Kate Elliot's books are awesome. Especially the Crown of Start series and the Crossroads series. She has excellent world building skills and books that you can really lose yourself in. I also LOVE Emma Newman's Split Worlds series, can't wait until the next book comes out. I love the imagination and sense of humor that fills all her books.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

Terry Goodkind.
A classic.
He writes, seemingly accidentally, in the most beautiful prose and at the same time takes you down unexpected avenues in the story line.
He also thinks about magic in a really interesting way that I think is really beautiful.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy authors. I posted these mini-reviews in a discussion about books by Brandon Sanderson. I have copied them below:

I would recommend reading Elantris if you want a shorter, self-contained story. You follow the travails of Roaden, a prince of his people, who is stricken with a mysterious disease that has blighted his people. He is thrown into the once powerful city of Elantris, where citizens stricken with the disease are now imprisoned. The story follows Roaden as he battles to overcome the illness and return Elantris to a city of power that it once was. Central to Roaden's struggle is his finding and interpreting Aons, symbols that gave Elantrians magical powers. Many of these Aons can be seen on Sanderson's website as jewelry available for purchase. This story is soulful and you find yourself cheering Roaden through his successes and sharing heartbreak during his failures. Overall, Elantris is well worth the journey!

Another recommendation is The Mistborn Trilogy. This trilogy is an amazing work of storytelling! With epic battle scenes, romance, and intrigue, not to mention, characters that you love and love to hate, you can't go wrong. With Kelsier, Vin, and Eland as protagonists and the Lord Ruler and the fantastical Steel Inquisitors with spikes for eyes as antagonists, the story is full of suspense, action, and Sanderson keeps readers guessing as the plot twists through this dark and compelling world. One aspect of the story that is extremely entertaining is the ability of characters to gain magical powers by manipulating metals. Vin, a Mistborn allomancer, gains power as she ingests metals and her body "burns" them releasing certain powers. Fantasy/science fiction at its finest!

Other great reads are The Way of Kings and Warbreaker.
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

My favorite fantasy writer is Madeleine L'Engle. What's not to love about "A Wrinkle In Time"?
Charles1980
Currently Reading: A Time of Miracles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles1980.html

Post by Charles1980 »

My favorite Fantasy writers would have to be Terry Goodkind, Terry Prachett and Orsen Scott Card. Mr. Goodkindbeing the first of course due to strange events. When I was 16 in Las Vegas I was not much of a reader, however my friend was. He asked me if I would take him to the Stone of Tears book signing and of course I said I would. While being there we found ourselves in front of Mr. Goodkind and he asked me if i was having a book signed. Not being a reader the answer was obvious and we walked away. My friend tried to convince me that I should read his novels and that i would like them, at long last we made a bet about a whether or not a girl would give me the time of day and well in short she did not so I lost. After going back I stood in line with the Wizards First Rule book, because i might as well start at the beginning, and he asked me what happened. After I had told him the story he said that he loves to know he has readers that only read his books because of a lost bet. So as a side prize he sign both the Wizards First Rule and Stone of Tears books. As i was going to pay for them I was told by the cashier they were already paid for. Since that day I have always and will always read his books. His books are a great read and although a little repetition, so readers can start anywhere in the series, they are full of plot leading twists and adventure.
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

I always liked Robert Jordan, but as often as everyone is saying Terry Goodkind, I'm going to have to look into him. And Cinda Williams Chima sounds amazing by your description.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Mercedes Lackey...though I don't uniformly love all of her books, just some of them.

Katherine Kurtz...everything she's written, definitely
UnicornEmily
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by UnicornEmily »

I love Brandon Sanderson's "awesome magic systems" thing that he does in almost every book.
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

Definitely Brandon Sanderson. His books are very easy to get into, despite being very complex. I love his worldbuilding and the new magic systems he manages to come up with. There has yet to be a book of his that I didn't completely obsess over, to be honest.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

moonshoes wrote:Definitely Brandon Sanderson. His books are very easy to get into, despite being very complex. I love his worldbuilding and the new magic systems he manages to come up with. There has yet to be a book of his that I didn't completely obsess over, to be honest.
Omg same twinsies
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

Brandon Sanders, for sure. He comes up with the most amazingly intricate magic systems and original storylines. He also has a progress bar on his website, and types out books at the rate someone might read one. You never have to wait long for sequels and they don't disappoint.
Natalie394
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie394.html

Post by Natalie394 »

Morgan Rhodes is an excellent fantasy writer. Her Falling Kingdoms series is full of amazing characters and the world is so engaging and entertaining. It is described as a YA Game of Thrones and, even though I've never seen it, I think that is quite an accurate description. The 5th book in the series has just come out and I am very excited to read it.
catlettsm
Bookshelf Size: 3490
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by catlettsm »

Natalie394 wrote:Morgan Rhodes is an excellent fantasy writer. Her Falling Kingdoms series is full of amazing characters and the world is so engaging and entertaining. It is described as a YA Game of Thrones and, even though I've never seen it, I think that is quite an accurate description. The 5th book in the series has just come out and I am very excited to read it.

Love Morgan Rhodes' Falling Kingdom series! The characters are wonderful, the plot is fast paced and I totally agree with the Game of Thrones of reference (and I do watch the show).

Return to “Discuss Authors”