Authors and Anonymity

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JRO
Currently Reading: Commonwealth
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jro.html

Authors and Anonymity

Post by JRO »

Elena Ferrante, author of the incredible Neopolitan Quartet series, whose identity has remained a respected mystery until this week, was unveiled to be the translator Anita Raja. The revelation has given rise to debates regarding an author's right to remain anonymous, separate from their work and potential fame, versus the idea that their biographies are essential to dissecting and understanding their work. Even in the category of fiction, is the concept of 'death of the author' no longer acceptable in a time where society craves authenticity and transparency in almost all things these days?
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Personally I think if an author wants to remain anonymous, then we should respect their right to do so. I also don't think it's necessary to know about an author's life in order to truly appreciate their work.
I get why society deems transparency an important value but I also feel like 100% transparency isn't necessary in everything. I actually like when there's a bit of mystery regarding the author. :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

What if author's names suddenly disappeared from all books along with our memories of the people associated with those names ... would it matter? If we read a book solely for its contents it shouldn't.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

A very interesting and relevant topic. Personally, I am a great believer in the concept that a successful work should stand alone. Yes, there are many who love dissecting an authors work by reference to all sorts of things about the author. The vast majority of authors seem to be okay with this. But if an Author wants anonymity then there is no public right to such information. I think in publishing just about any book the author is making public something of themselves. I'm sure some authors would not publish their works at all if they could not hide behind the veil of anonymity. Others would temper their works in defence of their reputations and privacy.

Until recently judging an author's work by reference to their life was a relatively harmless practice. Sadly this is no longer the case. Identity politics has intruded into the world of fiction. So we see the ridiculous idea of cultural appropriation as applied to fiction. The idea that a group has some form of proprietorship over its identity, so no one outside that group is entitled to write about it. Thus we have a person who I will not name who walked out of Lionel Shriver's keynote address at the Brisbane Writer's Festival for this very reason and then very publicly blogged about it. We also see various posts around the net on what writer's should not write about or how they should write about particular groups. It reminds me of Alice Sheldon writing as James Tiptree Jr. Much time was wasted in argument over whether her stories were in fact written by a man or a woman. It is fair to say that no definitive conclusion was reached until the time her identity was exposed. But why did it matter? Man or woman, she wrote some of the greatest SyFy short stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Also, we have the tales of the same works being submitted under one name and rejected, only to be submitted under another and accepted or even acclaimed. Sometimes the advantage is to be found in a name suggesting a minority group or a female, some in a name suggesting male or mainstream. This is a sad indictment on those to whom the works are submitted. Ironically, anonymous submissions may avoid these problems, although it is possible they may not be allowed or attract their own form of discrimination.

So my view is judge a work on its merits. It is simply not relevant whether the author is male or female, or a member or not of a particular group. In my view there is no such thing as "cultural appropriation" in this sense. But in the current climate I can well see that more authors may wish to avail themselves of the cloak of anonymity, if only to avoid the unwelcome attentions of the thought police.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I agree with everyone above. I think it's sad that authors have such a difficult time remaining anonymous. Leave them alone and let them write!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think an author should remain anonymous if they wish to do so and nothing and no one should breach that right. However, I do disagree with the statement that one needs to know an author's life to fully appreciate their work. There are many authors whose lives I do not know but whose work I highly appreciate.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I can understand a writer wanting to be anonymous, eventually you would hope they would come out of the closet, especially if they are great writers.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

It seems to me that it's the author's business to decide, though I love to know. I've long been fascinated in the differences in character attitudes and behaviors in books according to whether the author is male or female. It's also very interesting to know where the author comes from and what their experiences are that may have formed, or at least contributed to, their stories.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I do agree that an author's private life is their own and that they should not be forced out into the public if they don't want to be, but I disagree that identity politics are intruding into fiction. Context is key to how we write about our experiences and authenticity should absolutely be a concern if you're writing about a group that isn't your own.

Does that mean we need to examine every aspect of an author's life if they're a white man writing about, say, a black man's experiences in London for example? No, but we should be aware of how that affects the work that is produced as no writing is done in a vacuum.

Tl;dr Identity politics are a part of fiction whether we agree with them or not, but we don't need to know an author's private life if they want it to remain private.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Plenty of authors use pen names and also stay anonymous. I don't think you have to know who the author is to enjoy their work. I fall in love with the words on the page. :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I feel is entirely an author's decision to make. No one can be forced into revealing their identity while offering art to the world. If they want to or decide not to, it's entirely up to them!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Writers might have a number of reasons to stay anonymous. Alice Sheldon / James Tiptree Jr. was mentioned but until a few decades ago there were several women writing science fiction using male pen names because it was considered a genre written by men for men. Today in this genre there's Greg Egan staying anonymous for unknown reasons, I still read his (her?) works for their quality.
Ciao :)
Massimo
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I also agree that authors have the right to stay anonymous. An author's private life is no one's business, no matter how big of a fan someone is. They have their reasons for keeping their identity secret, and fans should respect that. Personally, I think an author's writing speaks more about them than any background information.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

We got used to writers being public figures, even more with social networks, but there are still writers who want to keep a strict separation between their private life and their work.
Ciao :)
Massimo
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

As a First Amendment fundamentalist, I fully support the idea of unlimited free expression and the right to remain anonymous.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss Authors”