Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Artizi »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 19 May 2019, 23:19
Artizi wrote: 09 May 2019, 12:11 Arthur Connan Doyle, for sure. I remember reading (more like devouring) the whole series of Sherlock Holmes books. I did start with A study in Scarlett and then had my parents buy a big collection comprising all the rest of his stories and novels, which I could not put down until it was all finished :)
Yes! I love Sherlock Holmes. I have a book of his complete works of Sherlock Holmes and I read them all over one summer back in high school.
It's always good to find a Sherlock fan around :)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

J. K. Rowling. I'm sorry if this sounds like a very un-original/cliche answer but I was eleven and the first ever novel to land on my lap was about a boy wizard who turns eleven and has a giant break down the door to the cottage he was at that night, wishing him a happy birthday and telling him he is a wizard. I grew up with him and I was so overwhelmed to see what powers writers have!
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html

Post by Artizi »

SpiritPhoenix wrote: 21 May 2019, 09:57 J. K. Rowling. I'm sorry if this sounds like a very un-original/cliche answer but I was eleven and the first ever novel to land on my lap was about a boy wizard who turns eleven and has a giant break down the door to the cottage he was at that night, wishing him a happy birthday and telling him he is a wizard. I grew up with him and I was so overwhelmed to see what powers writers have!
It doesn't sound cliche to me, as a young girl it really did encourage me to keep reading!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Artizi wrote: 22 May 2019, 21:45 It doesn't sound cliche to me, as a young girl it really did encourage me to keep reading!
Oh my God yes! I did feel a little lost when the series ended, because I've joined the reader community really late, until the end of the series I had merely read a few Enid Blytons and local comics. But I met a few friends who read and they recommended me brilliant stuff and that's how I realized there's so many things out there! But yes, it all started with Rowling! <3
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

The Magic Treehouse started it, but Harry Potter was what fueled the fire.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I guess it was "Have You Seen My Mother?" I don't have a clue who it was by, but I was 4 years old. I knew there were a ton of books out there, and in order to get through them all I started reading very young. :reading-4:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Aubrey009
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbok
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Aubrey009 »

Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' started a lifetime love of mystery. Ray Bradbury started my enjoyment of sci-fi.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender&rsquo;s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

In childhood Enid Blyton, teens Jackie Collins, 20’s Marian Keyes and 30’s Alistair Reynolds opened my eyes to the Sci-fi genre
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I would say Danielle Steel started me off at 15 yrs old. I can never get enough of her books ...
kylestephens123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kylestephens123 »

For me, it was H. G. Wells. I was in 8th grade at the time and although I was a pretty good student, I really only read because I had to for school. When I read War of the Worlds as part of a summer reading program, I fell in love with the story and Wells' writing style.

War of the Worlds quickly became my favorite book (and was so for a long time), and Wells had opened up the world of SciFi literature to me. I began reading Heinlen, Orson Scott Card, and many other SciFi authors after that. I also really enjoy Well's other works, such as The Invisible Man.

Wells is the author that opened all of the other reading doors for me and I am thankful for his writing!
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html

Post by iced_sunshine »

Melissa Marr. I think she's a wonderful author, just a tad underrated. Hers was the first book I ever owned (Ink Exchange) and I have it to this day. I love that book to bits and I reread it every once in a while to 'go back to my roots'
Her books should definitely get more praise.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Hans Christian Andersen & E.B. White.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

The first book I got really into was The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (or Epitaph of a Small Winner) by Brazilian author Machado de Assis, which I must've read at least three times. Together with Voltaire's Candide, this novel had a huge influence on my writing style (hell, it was one of my inspirations for starting to write in the first place) and sense of humor. I devoured Machado's and Voltaire's works one after the other for quite a while, and then went on to read all sorts of authors, from Dostoyevski to Meyer.

That said, I hadn't been reading all that much after graduating from school... until my "second re-awakening", at least. I don't know if you count web novels, but they sure set me on a reading frenzy that carries on to this day. I don't remember the first web novel I've ever read, but the first one I've read like a madman was definitely Er Mu's Release that Witch.
CJFinn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CJFinn »

Johnathan Livingston Seagull. Odd choice, I know, but it's the one book where words became visual images in my mind. I'm not a big fan of the sea-rats these days, but the book will always hold a warm place in my heart. Just a bit of my youth flying ever higher, and at times, further away.
Mama Day03
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mama Day03 »

I’m in love with all of Harlan Cobens work he is incredible! I read a lot before I discovered him but after I was in constant search of titles by him! He amazes me with the plot twists and badass characters.

Return to “Discuss Authors”