Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by DakotaA »

S. C. Lewis. I remember checking the Chronicles of Narnia books from my elementary school library and reading them first chronologically, and then the way the Lewis released them. During this time my mother also read me and my sister Harry Potter, so I've got to include J. K. Rowling. Notable mentions also go to J. R. R. Tolkien and Ray Bradbury for The Hobbit and Something Wicked This Way Comes, which I still have the cassette tapes for.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I remember that the book that really got me back into reading was Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie. It was required reading for school but after that I was hooked.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

For me it was j.k rowling. After reading HP i knew i had missed a lot when i wasn't reading books.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

Enid Blyton. Her illustrated works were the first books I picked up, not counting class readers and any other material I used to learn as a kid. I thoroughly enjoyed her books for children and later, her more mature works like the Secret Seven and the Famous Five.
juaningning_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juaningning-19.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by juaningning_19 »

When the Twilight series was born. It was Stephanie Meyer. I became a bookworm afterwards.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

One of my earliest authors was Victoria holt. This woman has serious talent. I remember reading the time of the hunter's moon (one of her novels)and i would imagine myself as one of the characters. Her books made a very deep impression on me because i was still young and believed in romance and falling deeply in love. Am still in love with her books even today because they are creative and you never tire of reading them.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

flaming_quills wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 12:04 Enid Blyton. Her illustrated works were the first books I picked up, not counting class readers and any other material I used to learn as a kid. I thoroughly enjoyed her books for children and later, her more mature works like the Secret Seven and the Famous Five.
My older sisters were Enid Blyton fans, in particular, of her Malory Towers series of school-based books. I used to read these too, even though they were probably aimed more at girls than boys. Enjoyed them hugely! I also read the Secret Seven and Famous Five sets.
mollxy23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollxy23.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mollxy23 »

Either Jacqueline Wilson or Enid Blyton. Jacqueline Wilson was just such a big part of my childhood; I remember me and my friends going to a meet and greet and book signing of hers and it was crazy meeting someone who I'd idolised for so long!
However, I've got to mention Enid Blyton. My mum gave me her copies of the 'famous five' etc., which has the first series I ever read.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I never enjoyed reading on my own until I was about 12. I remembered having done a CS Lewis book as a set book in about Grade 4 and thinking it was kind of interesting, but at the time I wasn’t really into it. So I went and got Prince Caspian out of the library and read it on my own. I loved it! So I went and got more CS Lewis books out and that was the beginning of my love of reading.
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

John Steinbeck.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Arthur Connan Doyle, for sure. I remember reading (more like devouring) the whole series of Sherlock Holmes books. I did start with A study in Scarlett and then had my parents buy a big collection comprising all the rest of his stories and novels, which I could not put down until it was all finished :)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

J.K.Rowling is my inspiration.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

For me it was Laura Ingalls Wilder. I’ve seriously loved reading since I was a child and the first series I finished was the Little House on the Prairie books. 😊
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Artizi wrote: 09 May 2019, 12:11 Arthur Connan Doyle, for sure. I remember reading (more like devouring) the whole series of Sherlock Holmes books. I did start with A study in Scarlett and then had my parents buy a big collection comprising all the rest of his stories and novels, which I could not put down until it was all finished :)
Yes! I love Sherlock Holmes. I have a book of his complete works of Sherlock Holmes and I read them all over one summer back in high school.
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Only1Cola wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 14:31 I never enjoyed reading on my own until I was about 12. I remembered having done a CS Lewis book as a set book in about Grade 4 and thinking it was kind of interesting, but at the time I wasn’t really into it. So I went and got Prince Caspian out of the library and read it on my own. I loved it! So I went and got more CS Lewis books out and that was the beginning of my love of reading.
Ahhh yes C.S. Lewis is one of my favorites, too. I have all seven Narnia books in one volume. Can’t wait to read them to my kids someday. 😊

Return to “Discuss Authors”