Authors you just don't get?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Authors you just don't get?

Post by Dave »

There is a topic on this forum called 'Overrated Authors'. I almost responded to it, but I realized the authors I was going to comment on aren't necessarily over-rated, as much as I just don't get them. Here they are:
Paul West. I tried to read his novel "The Dry Danube" a couple of times & just couldn't start it. Later I tried to read a book of his called something like "Cheops: a Cupboard for the Sun." It was about ancient Egypt, but it was just unreadable for me.
William Faulkner. I tried to read a book of his short stories called "Knight's Gambit" but couldn't finish it. I found the stories just boring, unentertaining. I tried to read "Absolom, Absolom" a few years ago & wasn't able to get into it at all. I couldn't tell who was narrating the book at times, whose voice was speaking. It maked me reluctant to try any more Faulkner. Oddly enough, I have a book of short stories by Faulkner called "Big Woods" on my shelf. I've had that book for 20 years & have never tried to read it. One of these days I'll probably give it a shot.
Walker Percy. I heard for years about "The Moviegoer" & its protagonist Binx Bolling. A couple of years ago I read the book. I must say it kept me interested, & I was able to finish it, but ultimately found it very unsatisfying. The book just didn't have very much to say to me. I guess I found it an empty book.
Well, that's my two cents.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I know what you're saying. I have had similar experiences. I think it has more to do with the style in which an author writes rather than the story itself. There are times when I am in the mood for a more ambiguous (or stylized) presentation, but I must admit that most often I prefer a story which is told straight-up and without a lot of garnish. The "garnish" is often critiqued as being pretentious writing. In some cases this is true, but I think the word pretentious is often overused. Some metaphorical passages, for instance, beautifully capture the essence of an idea and are quite to the point. They simply convey an idea in a more poetic manner, but they require more effort on the part of the reader to make the connection to what the author is trying to say. Oftentimes reader's personal tastes in literature are adverse to having to perform literary acrobatics and simply want to proceed to what happens next.

Other things, such as digressions, also can be unwanted distractions. One author who used a lot of digressions was Willa Cather, but, generally speaking, her digressions were often more interesting than what was happening at that particular time in the story.

One author, David Mitchell (Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas), whose work I have come to enjoy, uses a lot of post-modernistic techniques in his novels and it seems to work for me, but I know many others find some of his stories weird or confusing.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

E. L. James D:

I tried to read her novel to get out of my comfort zone but found her writing to encourage abusive relationships and from what I hear, a misrepresentation of the BMSD community. Because of the heavy emphasis on it, I couldn't finish reading the book at all. Sometimes it's hard to figure out whether an author is a self-insert or if the character is truly an original piece and in this case...I don't know.

Just to clarify, I don't hate her but just don't understand her approach to the subject she writes about.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I myself do not like Hemingway and I do not think he is overrated, I just don't think he is my kind of writer. I absolutely hated The Old Man and the Sea. And last year I finally read The Great Gatsby and did not like the writing style: there was so much narration: They talked, they ate, they decided to go and drive over to...Gah! Just let me see them talking! Show me more, don't just tell me about it all. Is that novel overrated? Probably not, but like the title of this thread says, I just didn't get it.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Sorry but I just do not get John Green. I've read the fault in our stars and have seen the movie for paper towns. Unless it's an American thing but I'm from the UK and I can't recall any teenagers that behave or speak how he portrays them. I find it all a bit false.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I do not understand William Faulkner. I had to read two of his books for a comparative world literature class and I got lost halfway through. The guy does not know the meaning of periods or run-on sentences. Even though I know that he is a good writer, his works are very hard to read.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Christina O Phillips wrote:I myself do not like Hemingway and I do not think he is overrated, I just don't think he is my kind of writer. I absolutely hated The Old Man and the Sea. And last year I finally read The Great Gatsby and did not like the writing style: there was so much narration: They talked, they ate, they decided to go and drive over to...Gah! Just let me see them talking! Show me more, don't just tell me about it all. Is that novel overrated? Probably not, but like the title of this thread says, I just didn't get it.
I don't like Hemingway either. I had to read A Farewell to Arms in high school, and I remember being so angry when I finished reading that I threw the book across the room. It was just so depressing, and I couldn't connect with the main character AT ALL. He just seemed so heartless over and over again and so numb, and it drove me insane.

I really liked The Great Gatsby though. The lack of dialogue was a little strange, but the way that Fitzgerald wrote is just amazing to me. Every line is so eloquent; I felt like I was reading a poem. I would say the artistry with that book is the way that Fitzgerald portrays Gatsby's loneliness and how money really does not buy happiness.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I have tried to read Charles Dickens several times, but he is one of the authors that I just don't get.
If that is even possible? I will try waiting a few years and returning to his books later. I understand people say they are great...but for me..maybe I just need more time.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I have never understood why Hemingway is such a big deal. I've just never been drawn into any of his books.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

John Green, Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult. Everyone loves these authors but I can’t get through their books. I don’t like to read depressing books; the world has enough bad stuff going on I don’t want to read it in books too. I was also bored reading The Great Gatsby, Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. People like reading from these books/authors and I just don’t understand why they would want to.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

John Updike, to name one. Ever since college, I've felt that I don't really get into his works as much as some others. Also, I don't get what's so great about Nora Roberts either. I find her books rather boring.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I find John Grisham and Enid Blyton to be incredibly horrible at fleshing out their characters. And they bore me.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I dont get hemingway sometimes..
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I don't get Douglas Adams... as in I literally don't understand his books half the time! I've been trying to get through the entirety of Hitchhikers Guide (the 4 story book) for a few YEARS now. I've been in the last 'book' for maybe a year and half now and struggle to get through a single sentence sometimes. I genuinely think his mind exists on a higher plane than mine. That being said, I love the absurdity of his writing and ideas.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Gingerbo0ks wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 11:33 Sorry but I just do not get John Green. I've read the fault in our stars and have seen the movie for paper towns. Unless it's an American thing but I'm from the UK and I can't recall any teenagers that behave or speak how he portrays them. I find it all a bit false.
Same. I enjoy listening to him talk but his characters and stories aren't for me. Most of the time, the plot revolves around shy and reserved (or awkward) Character A and how their life is changed by the exciting and manic Character B. I've read a handful of his books and none of them seem to be any different.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.

Return to “Discuss Authors”