Steinbeck/Hemingway Lovers Welcome

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
dancingpinkpony
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingpinkpony.html

Steinbeck/Hemingway Lovers Welcome

Post by dancingpinkpony »

Who has read East of Eden? This book has always been my favorite! Both Steinbeck and Hemingway are wonderful authors. Does anyone know any books with similar writing styles?
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I love both Steinbeck and Hemingway (as writers, of course :wink: ). I haven`t read East of Eden yet but will put it on my reading list. Thank you for suggestion.
Megbeth84
Currently Reading: The Historian
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megbeth84.html

Post by Megbeth84 »

"East of Eden" is one of my favorite books! (And one of the only books my teachers made me read in high school that I actually loved). And don't get me started on how beautiful "Of Mice and Men" is. My appreciation for Hemingway is far more recent though. I had to read a few of his novels in high school and I HATED them. However, when I started teaching I began to teach "Hills Like White Elephants" in my classes and I finally started to appreciate what Hemingway is doing and how he's constantly refining his style. I love his short stories now (and I think it's easier to see his style in those stories). Do you have any good Hemingway recommendations? I really want to read more of his stuff and the short stories would be preferable.
gerri51
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerri51.html

Post by gerri51 »

To be honest, I have not read anything by either author since high school, when I read The Pearl and Of Mice and Men. However, I picked up a copy of Steinbeck's, Travels With Charley and Hemingway's, In Our Time while browsing a used book store recently. I'm reading Travels With Charley and really enjoying it. I enjoy travel stories. I'm looking forward to reading more Hemingway, especially after having read my daughter's research paper she wrote about him for one of her college classes. :)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I have read East of Eden now. I loved it. Great masterpiece of the master.
AbigailFTaylor
Currently Reading: The Star Scroll
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigailftaylor.html

Post by AbigailFTaylor »

I love them both but I'm at the tip of the iceberg. I DID find Hemingway's pulitzer speech and other short stories on vinyl. It is very cool to hear big papa crackling through the speakers...like any minute I'll be in a Woody Allen film and finally get to meet the man himself.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Megbeth84 wrote:"East of Eden" is one of my favorite books! (And one of the only books my teachers made me read in high school that I actually loved). And don't get me started on how beautiful "Of Mice and Men" is. My appreciation for Hemingway is far more recent though. I had to read a few of his novels in high school and I HATED them. However, when I started teaching I began to teach "Hills Like White Elephants" in my classes and I finally started to appreciate what Hemingway is doing and how he's constantly refining his style. I love his short stories now (and I think it's easier to see his style in those stories). Do you have any good Hemingway recommendations? I really want to read more of his stuff and the short stories would be preferable.
"A Farewell to Arms" is my favorite Hemingway novel, and one of my most favorite books. It's not a short story, but it's a pretty easy read, especially since it's Hemingway. His books can often be more complicated to get through.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I consider East of Eden to be one of the greatest American novels of all time. I don't like anything by Hemingway.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

East of Eden is my favorite novel, too! I haven't read anything like him.

Return to “Discuss Authors”