The life of the author

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mlucius224
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlucius224.html

The life of the author

Post by mlucius224 »

Do you or people you know choose not to read books by specific authors because of events that have happened in the life of the author? I have recently talked to friends who will no longer read Nicholas Sparks books because he got a divorce. I don't think that the personal life of the author should affect our enjoyment of their writing. It isn't that I don't get what they are suggesting, why read something romantic from a guy who couldn't keep the romance alive in his own marriage, but is that fair? What do you think?
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I don't know about Mr. Sparks situation or not, but I do think that there is some merit to taking the personal life of the author into account. Their life shows a certain perspective that will most likely show up in their writing as well, which could disenfranchiseme some readers. :twocents-mytwocents: :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Wow! When I first read that some won't read Nicholas Sparks anymore, I thought that was pretty extreme. But then again, it makes perfect sense. You want the author you enjoy so much to be authentic, or else their writing loses its sincerity. That's such a shame. I've never personally stopped reading an author because of their personal life.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I think that is really rather extreme.
I'm no fan of Nicholas Sparks but I gather he writes fiction & in that case I really don't see what his personal life has to do with his books.
(Anyway maybe the divorce was his wife's decision!)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I do agree that personal life of the author is his or her personal life, and nobody`s else. However, if his or her social or political opinion is shown in the writing and that, in its turn, has an impact on political or social group of people, that`s another matter. It was recently revealed that Gunter Grass, the author of The Tin Drum, had connections with the Nazis, and that had a massive negative impact on his readership.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

chytach18- wrote:I do agree that personal life of the author is his or her personal life, and nobody`s else. However, if his or her social or political opinion is shown in the writing and that, in its turn, has an impact on political or social group of people, that`s another matter. It was recently revealed that Gunter Grass, the author of The Tin Drum, had connections with the Nazis, and that had a massive negative impact on his readership.
I agree. I don't care about the personal life of the author, but avoid authors such as Grass due to their racism.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

For me, I usually don't get too invested in an author's personal life. I'm usually in it for the story. However, there are instances where the author becomes almost as important as the story (J.K. Rowling for instance). There are some authors that I want to learn about and feel connected to, and I think that affects how I read their works. If I find out one of these authors I've grown to love has made a decision I don't agree with, it ruins the books for me. This rarely happens.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Something like divorce or even having been convicted of a crime (O'Henry served time for embezzlement) wouldn't prevent me from reading their work; on the other hand, if the cause of contention was related to the craft of writing - if the writer was found to be a plagiarist, if it was proved that the book was largely ghost written, or if the author had claimed the story was true when it wasn't (famous case in Oprah's Book Club) - then I am through with that writer, then, and forevermore.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

DATo wrote:Something like divorce or even having been convicted of a crime (O'Henry served time for embezzlement) wouldn't prevent me from reading their work; on the other hand, if the cause of contention was related to the craft of writing - if the writer was found to be a plagiarist, if it was proved that the book was largely ghost written, or if the author had claimed the story was true when it wasn't (famous case in Oprah's Book Club) - then I am through with that writer, then, and forevermore.
I agree completely! I think it's too extreme to stop reading works by an author over something like a divorce (especially when you might not know all of the circumstances), but honesty is another matter entirely! If the author plagiarized or lied, then he/she doesn't deserve our time and money!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
I am ludlum admirer

Post by I am ludlum admirer »

I admire on Robert Ludlum and Dan Brown but I don't want to know about their personal life. I love their idea, their spirit and their works.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I agree I have never stopped reading an author's book because of their personal life. I completely understand why people might do that, but the way I look at it, it's like judging the person almost. However, now with some singers when it comes to music, I have hard time listening to if I know they have physically abused someone it's hard to support someone like that, but when it's just someone getting a divorce that's a little different.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I have only ever heard of this once, my brother and I discuss mystery/thrillers all the time and I suggested we read a book by Anne Perry as she has many novels in her series and they get relatively good reviews. My brother told me he would under no circumstances read a book by Perry as she had been convicted of participating in the murder of her friend's mother! I was shocked and had to agree with him; we both decided we did not want to this author or promote her books.
Hampton_Roe

Post by Hampton_Roe »

I usually don't tend to learn anything about the author of the book that I read. If I like what they write, I'll read it whatever they do in their private life. I read so many books and newer knew who wrote them.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I've never been one to judge an author's work by how they live their life. The only time that might matter for me is if I'm interested in a self-help book that was most likely written by a hypocrite. That's the only scenario that I can think of where it might matter to me.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
April B
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-b.html

Post by April B »

It sounds crazy to me not to read an author's books because of their real life activities. I rarely pay attention to such things primarily because it isn't any of my business. But unless they turned out to be some sort of psychotic puppy killer(or an equally abhorrent criminal), I would never consider not reading a book because the authors done something we normal humans do-like get a divorce...(sighs while shaking head...)

Return to “Discuss Authors”