J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Re: J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

Post by Falling4Ever »

Definitally Rick Riordan, in my eyes at least. He put representation in his book too!
MrWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrwriter.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by MrWriter »

Percy Jackson is a brilliant series and terrifically well-written but unfortunately for Rick Riordan, J.K Rowling's unpredictable plots truly make her the Queen of Fantasy books.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I have only read J.K. Rowling but honestly, seeing this question and imagining the authors have comparable work makes me want to read Rick Riordan. I guess I will report back with my opinion after giving the books a go!
PhoenixKitty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PhoenixKitty »

J.K. Rowling for the win! I prefer the Harry Potter books because I feel like they were a lot more interesting. Even though both Harry and Percy lead horrible lives at home, I feel like Percy's was a more 'cliche' life, where there was one abusive parent and one parent that worked to much to be able to care. Not that I'm saying anyone in that situation is undeserving of pity or anything disrespectful, but I feel like Harry Potter had a much more interesting reason to why his relatives treated him so badly, and I felt like I could understand what Harry was feeling and why he was doing what he did a lot better even though I've never been in either of their positions. How Harry and his relatives interacted was also more captivating than Percy and his family, and I like how the relationship between Harry and the Dursleys changed over time because of different interactions that happened. Another thing, I feel like the J.K. Rowling's books were a lot more thought provoking, and I love hearing about all the theories that have been thought up on Youtube. I've never seen any really good Percy Jackson theories, but maybe that's just because I haven't searched hard enough. Overall, I think I just connect more with J.K. Rowling's characters, and the Percy Jackson series seemed to contain a lot more tropes than I could feel comfortable reading.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

Rick Riordon is a good author but I root for J.K. Rowling. Her writing style makes me glued to her story from the beginning to the end. The plot in all Harry Potter books are beyond my expectations and outstanding. The characters are well-written too. All of the characters including the minor ones have different personalities and complex backstories. The adventures are challenging and full of suspension. That's the reason why the books are more successful along with the movies.
AnxiousSocks
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxioussocks.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by AnxiousSocks »

I think that the books are so vastly different from one another that they are incomparable. I think JK has gotten more commercial success because her books are appealing to a much wider audience, whereas Percy Jackson, not so much.
LizAnne
Currently Reading: The Kings' Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizanne.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by LizAnne »

I love them both equally! J.K Rowling was who really got me to love fantasy and reading in general when I was little, but Rick Riordan opened the door to Greek mythology in new ways for me. Along with C.S Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, the Harry Potter series and the Percy Jackson series were probably the big three of my childhood.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Am I the only one in the world who find the Harry Potter books boring? I tried to read a couple (#2 and #3) because I wanted to know what all the Hubbub was about. I even tried the movies too. It's all stuff I've read before and was written much better.
As for Rick Riodan, I have a trilogy of his in my new ebook library waiting for me. So I'll let you know.

HOWEVER, (a big one) if you want to discover the best author of Sci Fi Fantasy (and Historical fiction) for ALL ages, then it's got to be Steven R. Lawhead. Start with his stand alone book, Byzantium and head to either of his earlier series Pendragon and Dragon King. You can thank me later. :tiphat:
Love L-L
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
AnnaPap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annapap.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by AnnaPap »

I love both the Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson series. I think both J.K. Rowling and Rick Riordan managed to create wonderful worlds. However (and putting commercial success aside), I'll have to say Rowling for two reasons. The first one is that she created a world where everything seemed plausible because there was so much detail. A line that you hadn't paid attention to in the Order of the Phoenix for instance, could prove to be an extremely important plot point in the Deathly Hallows (I'm talking about Regulus' locket). The second one is that I found the hidden messages and metaphors in Harry Potter a lot more meaningful. About friendship, love, death, depression, you discover something new every time you read the books.
Pan_Cakes

Post by Pan_Cakes »

I personally prefer Rick Riordan over JK Rowling, but I also got into Riordan way before I ever got interested in Rowling. Also, it’s interesting how he plays with perspective and expression/sarcasm, sort of how they would actually explain if they were real people. Especially when contrasted to Rowling’s one perspective view with lengthy explanations.(just my opinion on her writing style) And though there are a large number of books in the Harry Potter series, Riordan has multiple series with spinoffs to top it off.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

I grew up with Harry, literally. That said, it's no wonder I favour Harry over Percy. But, PJO, HOO, Kane chronicles and Magnus Chase have a lot of diversity and talks equality and inclusiveness in its own way where the second wizarding war runs eerily parallel to WWII. But I do find a lot of similarities between the two protagonists. For starters they have, black hair, green eyes and bucket load of sass! And how could I forget, a prophecy over their heads...
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

This thread pulled me right in because they both are my favorite authors. And are they both hold their thrones in their own writing styles. I enjoy J.K.Rowling's fantasy world, knowing that it's a fantasy world whereas with Riordan, sometimes it feels real. That might be because we are deep rooted to believe in gods and powers while Rowling's world is full of mythical beings. Having said that, Harry Potter is my go-to series for every mood while Percy Jackson is when I am in mood of wanting something complex literature
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

I prefer Rowling over Riordan. Rowling seems to write her words for whomever is reading the story. Riordan is definitely for the low to mid readers and the level of book is very evident.
Samarth Kedia

Post by Samarth Kedia »

I think it's a great topic. Let me give you the merits and demerits all at once
Sir Rick:-
1) Sir Rick always Try to connect his one series to another. Like, if you just picked the book, The Trials of Apollo from a bookstore and you start reading it, believe me or not you won't get the story after 50 or 60 pages cause you are not familiar with the term Half-Blood, Camp Jupiter, Chiron and stuffs.(This condition is applied only, the person reading it has never read the series like Percy Jackson or The heroes of olympus.)

So at this Point Mam J.K wins. Cause if you start reading the volume 2 of The Harry Potter series then, you can at least make out the story though I know that you will face some difficulties but still, you can make out the story.

2) In sir Rick's book, you people enjoy reading the book and the exact same time you learn some portions of mythology.
In,
Magnus Chase - Norse Mythology
Percy Jackson - Greek Mythology
Heroes of Olympus - Greek Mythology
The kane chronicles - Egyptian Mythology
Trials of Apollo - Greek Mythology

Whereas In Madam J.K's book we get to know about wizards and stuffs which rarely get to learn something.

So this time Sir Rick wins. I know it's a quite lame reason but wait, think it from the point of view of a 10 year old child. They would love to read witches and wizards but at the exact same time these mythological god can inspire them and devote them to mythology, maybe one's future dream could be mythology. Spells?? Nah....

3) Sir Rick's series is quite long which includes Magnus Chase, Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Trials of Apollo, The kane chronicles and other supplementary books like Survival guides and stuffs.

Whereas, Mam J.k's series is short as compared to that of Sir Rick's. This includes, Harry potter, Beedle the bard, Quiddtich through ages and The Fantastic beast series.

The length of the series hardly matters I just wrote it here for your Knowledge.

4) Well you need a sequence to read sir Rick's book but you don't need it for Mam J.k's.
To understand sir Rick's book, you should read the series in sequence that is :-

i) Percy Jackson
ii) Heroes of Olympus
iii) The kane Chronicles
iv)Magnus Chase
and then,
v) The Trials of Apollo

So at this point mam J.K wins

5) Whose story is better?

Well to honest, both are really great. It depends upon the reader, in which subject he or she is interested in, either myths or witches?
For me both are great but at some points, Sir Rick has taken over my heart. I too am a big fan of Harry potter but I like sir Rick's book more as compared to Mam J.k's. I respect both of them truly.

WHY I LIKE SIR RICK's BOOK MORE-
1) He actually introduced me to the world of myths which was awesome.
2) His story were more mysterious to that of Mam J.k's
3) Many character are there from the myths which actually makes it more realastic

Sorry Harry Potter fans.....
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I would personally go for J.K.Rowling. Both are phenomenal writers, but my first preference would be Rowling.

Return to “Discuss Authors”