J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

Post by EternalD »

JK Rowling deserves credit for having sparked interest in reading in millions of young people. Anyway, I can't honestly say she's a superior writer to Rick Riordan. He's a fantastic author, and it's a shame what they did with the Percy Jackson series in the movies.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I would vote for I love JK Rowling. I love her books and her writing style . Her Harry Potter stories are classics. The spin off "Magical Creatures" story is also very creative and entertaining. Her imagination is unrivalled as well as all the details she invents for her magical world. Her books have translated well into successful movies. She has encouraged so many young readers to start reading.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

Rick Riordan. He's hilarious and has definitely captured what teenagers think, talk and act like.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

rick riordan, j.k rowling isnt a good person.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

EmJo21 wrote: 27 Jul 2015, 18:49 Who do you think is a better author? J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?
They both are phenomenal authors, however statistically speaking J.K. has had a lot more success than Riordan. Her book series having global success alongside successful movies as well. Her books were a gateway for many young readers to explore their imagination and creativity. Not to say that Riordan's books weren't successful but retrospectively J.K. has had far more success and her books have continued to populate interest even as we are passing the eighteen year mark since the first book was published in the UK.
Both the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series were instrumental parts of my childhood, but I much prefer the Percy Jackson books. For one, I think the characters are much more well-developed and fleshed out with their own stories to tell (also just more likeable in general), whereas the characterisation is a little skipped out on for anyone besides the Golden Trio in Rowling's books. To be fair though, Rick has written more Percy Jackson stories which gives more time to explore the characters and Rowling did a great job within 7 books. I must say I do admire how Rowling really built up the world of Harry Potter from scratch with all the small details and foreshadowing, but I love how the world of Percy Jackson was an artful blend of mythology (I'm a sucker for Greek mythology) in a modern context.
supernova01
Favorite Book: The Unborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernova01.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by supernova01 »

Both are equally amazing.
I love both of their writings.
Mollie Doran
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollie-doran.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Mollie Doran »

J.K Rowling all the way. Although my 12-year-old self would want to stab me for saying it, her storylines were more complex, her world building better developed and she started a fantasy phenomenon on her first book series!
Rick Riordan is a wonderful author and the main thing I think of when describing his books is "clarity". For some reason the books he writes play out in my head like movies; the ultimate book-reading experience in my opinion.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I love Rick Riordan better. I love his Percy Jackson series especially. I have never found a book that I would love so much.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

rachel_jacks wrote: 30 Sep 2015, 08:04
zeldas_lullaby wrote:If I recall, he had acne, he had a stepdad who stole his lunch money, he had a severe learning disorder, etc. Harry Potter had a depressing life too, but he didn't have to deal with a learning disorder all those years at Hogwarts! Rowling made his issues magically infused. Riordian failed in that regard, and I just couldn't keep reading.
Alright, plot spoiler alert! I picked up the Percy Jackson series only in the past few months. I only have the 5th book left. The first book does start off with Percy's life in the normal world, before he knew he was the son of Poseidon. After he goes to Camp Half-Blood and becomes friends with Grover, he learns a lot more about himself and his life. First, what kid doesn't have acne? I'm not sure that that's a depressing thing, but probably the only normal thing about Percy. Second, his mother married his stepfather because he smelled so bad that the monsters couldn't smell Percy. As the son of one of the "big three" gods, Percy had a stronger smell than most half-bloods. Since his mom kept his stepdad around, the monsters couldn't find Percy and he was able to live a relatively normal life. Eventually he mysteriously disappears ;). Third, Percy doesn't really have learning disabilities. His ADHD is a manifestation of his warrior instincts growing and developing. As a Greek warrior he needs to be prepared to fight at all times, so sitting still isn't his thing. His dyslexia is a manifestation of his ability to read Greek.

That being said, I do feel the first book spends a lot of time on Percy's pre-half-blood life, so it's a bit slow, but once he goes to camp things progress more quickly. Future books spend less time on the mundane things. If you enjoy Harry Potter I believe you can enjoy Percy Jackson, so don't give up on it yet! :)
And we have a die-hard fan people!!
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

I love Rick. I've read the Percy Jackson series over and over. I'm trying not be biased in any way in my judgement though.

So I will not make one😂
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Strictly based on writing, it’s definitely JK Rowling for me as I love the HP series, world, characters, creativitity, etc.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lily Ahulu »

JK Rowling. Wild imagination
Hannah Ying
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-ying.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Hannah Ying »

Personally, I liked Rick Riordan's books way better. They introduced me to Greek and Roman mythology and hold a very special place in my heart. I also absolutely loved the characters that he's created. Sorry, but Harry Potter just wasn't as good in my opinion.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

J K Rowling has shown the world that even authors can lead glamorous lives. Though she comes from the extreme end of the spectrum, her success has motivated many people around the world!
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

I can't pick! I tried to put them on the scales and tried to figure out which I love more but I couldn't! I just love both of them so much.

Return to “Discuss Authors”