George R.R. Martin

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by KCWolf »

I really like GRRM, and I hope he finishes the series. I like that he's not afraid to get real with us, and show us the dark side of humanity in his series. Yet, there are some really lovely, beautiful passages too in his writing.

I love the characters that he creates and how even the good guys/girls are not perfect, and that even in wicked characters like Cersei you can find some light, or some reason to empathize with her.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I think that he is a very good writer, but I know a lot of people who have been put off by the extremely many details in his books.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I absolutely adore his books. While they're extremely long and dense at times, they're honestly amazing. He's definitely a brilliant fantasy author and I love how he doesn't follow the traditional fantasy tropes (or normal book tropes) when he just up and kills off main characters.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

He's a good writer with an excellent grasp of human nature. I love the attention he pays to detail and the way hr balances the multiple points of view in his books.

My only issue is that sometimes he pays too much attention to detail, so sometimes my attention tends to wander. That's never good with books as long as his.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
rhuzii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhuzii.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by rhuzii »

I remember reading the whole series a few years ago, I was so in love with it. :D I think the thing I really loved about his books was how complex the story was. I know that some people feel intimidated by large books with a huge cast of characters, but I honestly adore that there's so much to the story. When someone writes something like that it's always even better when you reread it cuz you notice so many details and foreshadowing you missed the first time around. And yeah, I also hope he'll finish the series one day :lol2: Who knows how long we'll be in this waiting room
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

I genuinely believe Martin is one of the greatest World-builders to ever exist, I haven't read much outside his ASOIAF series and the books that exist with that world, but George has a way of making you believe that this world could very much be real, from the way he constructs his characters, to the society that shapes those characters and don't get me started on the religions in Westeros, I'm a sucker for fantastical religions and George doesn't disappoint.
Amyra27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyra27.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by Amyra27 »

I just started reading game of thrones
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I haven't actually finished any of the books in A Song of Ice And Fire series but from what I read, it's clear Martin is an excellent writer and I can't wait to finish the books seeing as I'm currently watching the series.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I love George RR Martin because of the way that he can both write big things and small. His intense politics focused plots lead to backstabbing, alliances and murder, keeping the suspense high. Alternatively, he can also wonderfully describe medieval food, or the way blood runs across the floor.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I love GRRM and reading his works has helped me to expand my own works, and take chances in world building and character building.

I would love to take a class from him. He is one of the best, IMHO.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Aurelianp
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Rebellion
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurelianp.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Aurelianp »

I adore GRRM. I fell in love with his writing while reading A Game of Thrones.

For those who who are only familiar with ASOIAF, may I suggest reading A Song for Lya, it is a heartbreaking novella.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Has anyone read the Wild Cards series edited by Martin? I happened upon one in the library, enjoyed it so much I started collecting them and started from the beginning. I am currently on book number 14 out of 27.
amjohnson13
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Wild Cards is an interesting series edited by Martin. Martin also writes one of the characters. So they are like anthologies as all the characters are written by different writers. I am on 14 out of 27. I find if you read them in order references to events from previous books make me think,oh yeah I remember that!
amjohnson13
casdill
Currently Reading: Thank and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by casdill »

Haven't read Wild Cards yet, not sure it's totally up my alley but I'd probably give it a try because I do enjoy his other works. I found GRRM way back before HBO was doing the series and fell in love with ASOIAF as a die hard fantasy nerd. At no point in any of the series have I been disappointed. The Red Wedding was so shocking to me though I had to put the book down, and I just stared off into the distance for goodness knows how long, before I could start reading again. I figure we'll get WoW soon enough, he's been busy with some huge projects even outside of GoT so I'm not mad, just hopeful we get it before it hits that ten year mark lmao.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I love Martin! I have read ASOFAI series at least 6 times and am gearing up for the 7th, been wanting to read it again after the show finished up to see how much it would effect it had on the books... maybe glean out a few more instances of foreshadowing... I also really liked "Fire and Blood" and can't wait for the second vol. The Dunk and Egg stories kinda missed their mark for me since there were a lot of Aegons in it and it was hard to keep track of who was who... but i can't wait to finally read some more of him... I've got quite a few of his books in my TBR pile.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST

Return to “Discuss Authors”