Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SarahEOlivier
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saraheolivier.html

Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by SarahEOlivier »

Which do you like better and why?
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I prefer JK Rowling. Both have done very well for themselves and have written captivating and successful novels. JK Rowling to me wrote a better story in my opinion. The Harry Potter series are classics and I think people will still be reading them in years to come. The Twilight series on the other hand will be read a lot less. I prefer JK Rowling's writing style and her creativity which is rare.
SarahEOlivier
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saraheolivier.html

Post by SarahEOlivier »

Agree I read Both and JK's Series' had a message that everybody will always remember
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

JK Rowling without any doubts!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
boelyn65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boelyn65.html

Post by boelyn65 »

Out of the tow authors I prefer JK Rowling best, I think her characters are well developed and she progressed the story throughout every book in a nice way that didn't lose readers throughout the years and allowed the story and the characters to grow over time. I do like JK better but I do have to give credit to Meyers for giving the public a new face for vampires since a lot of stories had already been played out, it was something new and she made it work have to appreciate that at least.

-- 06 Jul 2015, 18:38 --

Out of the two authors I prefer JK Rowling best, I think her characters are well developed and she progressed the story throughout every book in a nice way that didn't lose readers throughout the years and allowed the story and the characters to grow over time. I do like JK better but I do have to give credit to Meyers for giving the public a new face for vampires since a lot of stories had already been played out, it was something new and she made it work have to appreciate that at least.
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

J.K. Rowling because her characters are more complete and fun to read about. I don't like reading about in the love between a human and a werewolf or a vampire. I like the adventure in J.K. Rowling's books and the cleanness of it.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

JK Rowling, I didn't enjoy Twilight as much as Harry Potter
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

Ummm yeah J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, and Meyers wrote Twilight... I think J.K. Rowling wins. Not only that, I just find her books more interesting and fun.
HeavanSent727
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heavansent727.html

Post by HeavanSent727 »

WELL, i love both of them, but if I had to pick, it would definitely be Rowling. I can read and reread her books over and over and still be captivated by the world of Harry Potter.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I say JK Rowling for the same reason that a lot of you have. I think the Harry Potter books definitely have more depth than the Twilight books. However, Stephenie Meyer is still writing and I don't think JK Rowling is. I haven't read her book The Host but she has written another book and I do believe she will continue to write. Unfortunately, I don't think JK Rowling will write anything else.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

I strongly prefer JK Rowling for various reasons. Stephanie Meyer is honestly one of the lesser talented authors that I have had the chance to read mainly because of her monotone style of writing. Firstly, Meyer refuses to take risks when creating plot lines and you can easily see the ending of her plots. The Twilight Saga was a perfect example of this as it was an incredibly boring set of books to invest time in. Meyer also has a dull creative sense when it comes to characters. She attempted to create interesting backgrounds for characters such as Jasper, but her attempts just fell bland and we got the tease of having a good back story. However, JK Rowling has a remarkable talent and was able to create one of the most detailed worlds out of blank spaces. While reading the books, you find unbelievable connections that you didn't even believe would exist and she exposes you to new ideas in every chapter of her novels. The Harry Potter series continues to amaze me to this day. Rowling also has the gift of character creation unlike Meyer. Each of her characters play an important role and their stories are even breathtaking at times. It is simply amazing to dig deep into her works and they give you way more than you could ever put into them.
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

J.K. Rowling no doubt. I was actually more of a fan of Twilight than Harry Potter back in the day, but J.K.Rowling has garnered such overwhelming respect that I can't not choose her.
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

I couldn't get into either of their series as books, however, I did watch the Twilight movies and not the Harry Potter ones so I guess Stephenie Meyer is just a little better in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
ChelseaMenjivar
Currently Reading: The Blue Bistro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseamenjivar.html
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic

Post by ChelseaMenjivar »

I would have to go with JK Rowling. Harry Potter is so well written, and all seven of the books flow together so smoothly. She created an entirely knew world, and it is just so fun to be drawn into it.
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic
ImpatientTypist
Currently Reading: Wee Free Men
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-impatienttypist.html

Post by ImpatientTypist »

I hope I'm not budding in or anything but seeing as you are all either JK or SM fans I would like to use your knowledge of these books and pose a question :).

Why do people like either of these? Now please know that I do understand that there will always be different tastes in literature and I also understand that most people like the stories for either the drama or fantasy. But for me (personally) I couldn't get past the first few pages of Twilight and the HP series really didn't hold up by the last two (maybe 3) books.

I'd love to hear why you guys liked these books so much, and what you liked about them :) Thanks in advance!

Return to “Discuss Authors”