Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by briellejee »

PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:25 J.K. Rowling, hands down, is better than Meyer. Stephanie Meyer is not a good writer. She's uninteresting and juvenile, in my opinion.
And too cliché. Really hate cliché plottwists. I like your quoted signature about Bilbo. Are you a tolkien fan? :shifty:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:23
briellejee wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:12
Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 04:55

Considering how nerdy I am, I think I would be in Ravenclaw. In fact, I was sorted to Ravenclaw by Pottermore. I am too lazy to get into Hufflepuff, and hopefully not so cunning to get into Slytherin.. :lol: But a part of me still wishes to be brave enough to get sorted to Gryffindor.. :? What about you?
Aaaah, I am still waiting for my owl! Better late than never! :wink:
Omg I am in Ravenclaw too! It's almost a tie between it and Slytherin. Guess I'm not that cunning enough. :roll: I do want to be in Slytherin though. But Ravenclaw suits me just fine. I love Rowena anyway. hahaha I hope they have classes for Masters and PhD there :lol2:
Hey that's great! Yeah if they are offering PhD courses, I am so gonna join! It has to be better than where I am currently enrolled :roll: !
I'm finding a school for my Master's studies. Everything is better in Hogwarts! :wink:
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

briellejee wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:05
PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:25 J.K. Rowling, hands down, is better than Meyer. Stephanie Meyer is not a good writer. She's uninteresting and juvenile, in my opinion.
And too cliché. Really hate cliché plottwists. I like your quoted signature about Bilbo. Are you a tolkien fan? :shifty:
I agree. Her writing is absolutely bogged down by cliches. And I am a Tolkien fan! I grew up with the movies and the books. I have a sizable collection of the histories, too.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

PlanetHauth wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:26
I agree. Her writing is absolutely bogged down by cliches. And I am a Tolkien fan! I grew up with the movies and the books. I have a sizable collection of the histories, too.
Oh my gosh!!! Same!! Ahh it's really good to find a tolkien fan here, and an avid one at that!
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

briellejee wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:35
PlanetHauth wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:26

Oh my gosh!!! Same!! Ahh it's really good to find a tolkien fan here, and an avid one at that!
I get it from my dad. He grew up with the books and it has since been one of the things we bond over. My sister loves them too.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Visesh96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Visesh96 »

I cannot really decide because I really love both of them and sure they have different writing style but it is these two authours that made me fell in love with reading, so I love them both.
Maja Saveva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maja Saveva »

JK Rowling. I think she has greater imagination that SM's. Unlike Stephanie Mayer's books, JK Rowling's keep me reading untill the very last page, plus i like the way she combines words more than i do when i read Stephanie's books.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I prefer J. K Rowling. I really like the Harry Potter series because in my opinion, they have better content and will remain relevant even after a very long time. Stephanie Meyer's twilight on the other hand was in my opinion cliche' trying too hard not to be cliche'.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

nikkyteewhy wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:16 I prefer J. K Rowling. I really like the Harry Potter series because in my opinion, they have better content and will remain relevant even after a very long time. Stephanie Meyer's twilight on the other hand was in my opinion cliche' trying too hard not to be cliche'.
I agree with your opinion on twilight. Also, her book The Host is also the same thing. Really not a fan of Meyer's writing.
amale
Currently Reading: the long way to a small angry planet
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amale.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by amale »

I prefer J.K Rowling hands down. I believe her to be the more talented writer by far. The Harry Potter series is fantastic and timeless. It appeals to multiple groups beyond its initial target audience. And I believe Rowling has proven herself an accomplished writer given also well done Cormoran Strike series.

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series was alright, but not very well done overall and in my opinion, does not paint a very empowering message with the character of Bella, but I grew up as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan so perhaps that colored my view of how a vampire/human romance should be done. I just would not recommend Twilight to a young adult simply because Bella's character was portrayed as one that let love consume her to the point of actually physically risking her life just to have a mystical vision of her boyfriend.

Comparing that to Rowling Hermione that while, she does deal with romances, her character is motivated by so much more than that. She has ambitions and drives well beyond that of lovestruck teenager, something that any young adult (or just person in general for that matter) should aspire to be. And in that vein, it is more realistic for a young girl to take up causes (like S.P.E.W) or to be invested in her studies or hobbies rather than obsessing over whether she gets to be with a one true love or not. Bella is brave, no question, but her motives and the constant plot circling around her romantic interests were just not for me.

I will say though Stephanie Meyer's the Host was a pretty good novel and I think much better written than the Twilight series. I wish that novel had taken flight in terms of popularity over the Twilight saga, as it is actually, a pretty good science fiction novel. Stephanie Myer definitely can write well, I just found the character of Bella Swan grating, to me personally anyway.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

J.K. Rowling wins this one for me.

Every time I read the Harry Potter series, I see a new connection between the books and I never tire of them. I honestly think that she has influenced an entire generation of readers with her stories. I also think she has made it more popular to read books.
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

Definitely J.K. Rowling. I'm not a huge fan of Meyers' works - I did not like the Twilight series (rather vehemently), and I even went back and reread some of them to give them a second chance. I thought the Host was better, but there was still so much about it that drove me nuts about her characters and their overall development. I think Harry Potter had so much more complexity and diversity in the characters, and there weren't as many instances when I felt Rowling was being totally unrealistic or immature with her characters.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Rowling hands down. Meyer made so many story short-cuts and cop outs in my opinion. Edward had such a blank personality that you could project onto him where Harry Potter was complex, dynamic, with a diverse world. Rowling had much better story congruity and structure than the Twilight series did. I can go on and on about this.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

SarahEOlivier wrote: 30 Jun 2015, 08:16 Which do you like better and why?
JK Rowling by a landslide. Her books at least had a positive message that can be taught to many different people. Twilight didn't have any sort of positive message. In my opinion it actually portrayed a negative relationship for young people to idolize.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

To see their names next to each other is just so insulting (in my opinion).
I adore JK Rowling and her novels are amazing. The craft of the Harry Potter Series is inspiring and well written.
Twilight is not well written. I know. I have read every book in the series.
Twilight is a fan fiction. I used to write fan fiction and it is not anywhere near the same level.

Return to “Discuss Authors”