Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by RoxieReads »

I read the first Twilight book and found that it had many negative messages about relationships as well as women, whereas Harry Potter is inspiring and is all about live being the greater power in a positive way.
~Roxie~
Simina Dinca
Currently Reading: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Trad. Chinese Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simina-dinca.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Simina Dinca »

JK Rowling is my choice and I am surprised that they can be subjected to comparison. I think they are extremely different as authors and so are their fiction works :mrgreen:
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I like JK Rowling. The world she created with her imagination is so engrossing. All the characters, spells, courses, and places she had to name and describe are truly a testament of her creativity.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

As I have said before on two forums, both writers, while completely fulfilling their purpose of entertaining, do not write very well. Sentence structure and overall quality are wonting, and leaves English majors and literature enthusiasts wondering how it has gained so much acclaim. They were entertaining when I was younger, but now I see some issues.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Lucysmom_2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lucysmom_2019 »

Stephanie Meyer all the way. I enjoyed all but the 1st Twilight books, I will admit I did try to read one of her non-Twilight books and I was not impressed, but I could not get past the 2nd Harry Potter. I did try to read a non-Harry Potter JK Rowling's book and again I was not impressed. I think both authors lucked out on hitting a great topic that fostered cult-like following, but neither author is a great writer. I would not be surprised if neither of them writes anything that generates this type of buzz ever again.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Not a huge fan of either, but I would choose JK Rowling over Stephanie Meyer. I can appreciate her work a little more than Meyer.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
AnnaPap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annapap.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by AnnaPap »

JK Rowling. I've read both the Twilight and Harry Potter series. There was a point in the Twilight series that I got kinda bored, I think it was Eclipse. With the Harry Potter series, I could never put the book down. When I was little and the Order of the Phoenix had come out, I even skipped school for a day, just so I could stay home and read it!
Also, like many other people before me have said, even though I really enjoyed reading both series, I've never had the urge to pick up a Twilight book and reread the whole thing, but I've read the Harry Potter books multiple times.
Natasha_57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-57.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Natasha_57 »

In my opinion, JK Rowling's books are better because they're more humorous and imaginative. Besides this, children and adults can relate to her characters and stories on a deeper level. Meyer's books seem to resonate with teens more than anyone else which makes them less popular.

Return to “Discuss Authors”