Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
monicamweyeli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by monicamweyeli »

I recommend Sydney Sheldon. He has a good way of capturing ones attention by leaving them in suspense which makes the story more and more interesting
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

It all depends on what genre but I most often read fantasy/science fiction. Of course, J.K. Rowling is my favorite writer because of Harry Potter but the author I most consistently recommend, at least for fantasy/science fiction, is Anne McCaffrey. I adore The Dragonriders of Pern (science fiction, not fantasy, but it's a popular misconception) and I loved the first book in the Crystal Singer trilogy. Her fantasy/historical novel Black Horses for the King is my favorite King Arthur retelling to date. McCaffrey has a huge following and for good reason; she was an amazing writer! Her son, Todd, has continued The Dragonriders of Pern since she passed, even writing some with and without her before she died, but I wouldn't really recommend him so much. I much prefer his mother's books.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I would highly recommend Margaret Peterson Haddix. She writes very interesting plots for children, teens, and adults.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

One author I'd definitely recommend is Rick Riordan. He has written the Percy Jackson series and it is a must read for all Fiction fans.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

The author I most often recommend is J. R. Ward.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I recommend Mary Higgins Clark and L.M. Montgomery and Neil Gaiman most of the time. And all of the authors i see in the bookstore that i know HAHA
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

Williams Shakespeare
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Bandersnatch wrote:Brandon Sanderson is a great writer. He always manages to come up with these completely different magic systems and they're always interesting. His characters and worldbuilding are also great. So far haven't read a book of his that I disliked.
I absolutely agree! His imagination and way of telling a story is extraordinary.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

Carolyn Haines and Matthew Gregory Lewis.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am a great fan of science fictions, and would recommend Michael Crichton to anyone with a similar liking. But I haven't met many people who is a fan of or at least have read Michael Crichton books. This seems odd sometimes, considering the fact that many of them absolutely love the movie 'Jurassic Park' (though to be honest, even I did know the author's name for about 9 years after watching the movie, and once I knew, I loved each and every one of his works). Any Michael Crichton fan here?
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

It depends on the person and the context of what we're discussing. I always have my latest obsessions on the brain and those usually enter the conversation, but I almost always recommend Tamora Pierce because her writing is so spectacular!
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising »

Right now, Richard K Morgan, because the Altered Carbon Netflix series was poorly recieved.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Anne Tyler. I've been disappointed by some of her most recent books, but I own and often reread some of her earlier works, including Dinner and the Homesick Restaurant, Morgan's Passing, and If Morning Ever Comes. Right now I'm rereading The Clockwinder.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I usually recommend Tolkien (I can't help it), Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Tamora Pierce, and Sherrilynn Kenyon. Once upon a time I'd recommend G.R.R. Martin, but I've become a little disgruntled with him, in that he works on so many projects, but never manages to get around to ASOIAF in a timely manner.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I always recommend Barabara Kingsolver to people who dare ask me :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”