Books by Brandon Sanderson

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
master_little
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-master-little.html

Re: Books by Brandon Sanderson

Post by master_little »

Godspeed.. :)

-- 19 Jan 2016, 02:27 --

Did anyone finish reading? I just came to know that all of Sanderson's are set in the same universe and will clash sometime later in the future. They are connected by an overarching storyline. Also there is one character who appears in each and every book series. !!!!!!!!!!
Malea 92
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malea-92.html

Post by Malea 92 »

master_little wrote:Godspeed.. :)

-- 19 Jan 2016, I just came to know that all of Sanderson's are set in the same universe and will clash sometime later in the future. They are connected by an overarching storyline. Also there is one character who appears in each and every book series. !!!!!!!!!!
Almost - this only holds true to the books that are "cosmere" books, thus set in the Cosmere Universe. These include all of the Mistborn books, Elantris, The Emperor's Soul, Warbreaker, and the Stormlight Archive. (Did I miss any, guys?!) There is indeed a character (oftentimes called Hoid) who shows up in every series. One day in the distant future (I think it's been rumored to be somewhere after Stormlight 5 or 6) we are supposed to get a book about him.

On another note - since I have devoured the Cosmere and still can't seem to get enough of Brandon Sanderson what should I start next? I have heard good things about so many of Sanderson's books I don't know where to start! (Again, I've been through the Cosmere, so where do I go from there?)
master_little

Post by master_little »

The Reckoners series?
Or maybe try another author just to break the monotony of Sanderson? I could recommend quite a few series out t=which are just as great..
emilemilemily
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilemilemily.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by emilemilemily »

I'm in the middle of "The Way of Kings" right now. I was pretty shocked at how long it is, too, but I just pretend to myself that I'm really reading two or three books that are smushed together, haha. It's taught me a different way of reading certain books. I usually fly through a book to get the big picture of the overall story. But this book is taking patience to finish, so I'm forcing myself to relax, absorb the details, and simply enjoy all the complex details Sanderson weaves into his story. What I can't imagine is how Sanderson will resolve this book in the ending, even as long as it is---it just keeps getting more complex! Already excited to start the next in the series, though.
master_little

Post by master_little »

Ohh you have just reached the tip of the iceberg. Wait till you start Words of Radiance.. It's longer, better and even more complex. Basically it is the Way of Kings done twice over in every aspect. Surely its a pain in the ass to remember so many characters whose list gets even longer in the next book, but that's the beauty of Sanderson. Why don't we have a group read here or on Goodreads once you start Words of Radiance. I'm willing to read it again!!
emilemilemily
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilemilemily.html

Post by emilemilemily »

Sounds good. Willing to read such a long book again? That's some dedication! I guess I need to hurry it up with finishing The Way of Kings so I can start Words of Radiance.
master_little

Post by master_little »

Haha. For Sanderson anything. Though I'll be starting on his Bands of Mourning as it arrives. I'v preordered it. Gonna be great!
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

For some reason I just couldn't ever go past a couple of chapters in Mistborn. It wasn't the writing, just wasn't in the mood for it I guess. But, I just finished reading Elantris and The Emperor's Soul. They are fantastic stand-alone fantasy novellas for anyone likes shorter fiction.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy authors.

I would recommend reading Elantris if you want a shorter self-contained story. You follow the travails of Roaden, a prince of his people, who is stricken with a mysterious disease that has blighted his people. He is thrown into the once powerful city of Elantris, where citizens stricken with the disease are now imprisoned. The story follows Roaden as he battles to overcome the illness and return Elantris to a city of power that it once was. Central to Roaden's struggle is his finding and interpreting Aons, symbols that gave Elantrians magical powers. Many of these Aons can be seen on Sanderson's website as jewelry available for purchase. This story is soulful and you find yourself cheering Roaden through his successes and sharing heartbreak during his failures. Overall, Elantris is well worth the journey!

Another recommendation is The Mistborn Trilogy. This trilogy is an amazing work of storytelling! With epic battle scenes, romance, and intrigue, not to mention, characters that you love and love to hate, you can't go wrong. With Kelsier, Vin, and Eland as protagonists and the Lord Ruler and the fantastical Steel Inquisitors with spikes for eyes as antagonists, the story is full of suspense, action, and Sanderson keeps readers guessing as the plot twists through this dark and compelling world. One aspect of the story that is extremely entertaining is the ability of characters to gain magical powers by manipulating metals. Vin, a Mistborn allomancer, gains power as she ingests metals and her body "burns" them releasing certain powers. Science fiction at its finest!

Other great reads are The Way of Kings and Warbreaker.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Sanderson is incredible, definitely one of the best. I was introduced to him through the WOT, but I'd recommend people start with either Mistborn or Warbreaker.

I haven't read the Dresden Files, but I'm in the middle of the Codex Alera (also by Butcher) and would highly recommend this series as well!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I just started reading Mistborn: The Final Empire and it's absolutely incredible, I think. It's still 500+ pages but I have no qualms about that, seeing as I do prefer my Fantasy novels to be a bit thicker.
My weekend is all booked!
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Mistborn was quite an easy read for me!
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I read The Way of Kings a loooong time ago and thought it was great. However, I will restart the series once he finishes it, because there are too many characters to remember and the books are way too long to reread every time a new one comes out.

Mistborn, as several other posters mentioned, is a great series. Didn't like the Alloy of Law though, the continuing series.

Warbreaker is a standalone novel which is pretty cool too, if you don't want to commit to a series.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

His trilogy The Reckoners was AMAZING. Steelheart was the incredibly first book, followed by Firefight, then ending with Calamity. Incredible! He's written some kids books, like Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians, but I could not get into that one at all. But, definitely, read The Reckoners.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

There are so many Brandon Sanderson books I want to read! I think that highest up on the list is Skyward. I have heard that it is a great sci-fi book!
~Roxie~

Return to “Discuss Authors”