Which author do you want to have a beer with?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Which author do you want to have a beer with?

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Charles Bukowski! I mean who else if not him? He died two days before I was born. I'd like to think I'm his reincarnation! :P
Riverfroggo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Riverfroggo »

Terri2 wrote: 02 Mar 2007, 20:15 Which author would you most want to meet and sit down and have a beer with?

(If you don't drink beer, which author would you most want to go to lunch with?)
Lillian Jackson
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I think I'd love to have a beer with Leigh Bardugo just to see what she was thinking when she wrote Kaz because wow... he's quite the character. And not just him, each of her characters are well fleshed out and they carry the story forward in so many ways that it's hard for me to remember that they aren't actual people sometimes.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

One of my favorite books is "The Power of Nice" by Linda Kaplan-Thaler and Robin Koval. I would genuinely appreciate the opportunity to have a drink with them.
scler1
Currently Reading:

Post by scler1 »

Theres' no other author that I would love to have a conversation with than Stephen King!
Robyn_original
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-original.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Robyn_original »

Neil Gaiman. He seems like such a kind guy, someone who thinks deeply about things, someone who is down to earth. I think he'd be really interesting to have a conversation with. Sometimes when you talk to people, you get a glimpse into how their mind works in real time. I'd love to get a glimpse of his. Also Terry Pratchett if he was still alive, who had an amazing sense of humor. His books were a lifeline to me when I was growing up. I'd like to thank him.
Robyn_original
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-original.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Robyn_original »

Unielain wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 06:14 This is a hard question, because I'm easily scared of people I really admire. I think Sarah J. Maas would be nice to meet. According to interviews I've listened, she is a sweet person. I would have a lot to ask from her and I think we would have good laughs. Neil Gaiman is my second opinion, just purely because I admire his work so much. I could find it hard to talk though, because as I said, social anxiety thingy. I would have so many questions and not only about his work but also of his worldview. I think there are so many interesting and often troublesome layers of life touched in his books, for example the prison system, in american gods. I'm also a huge mythology nerd and think we would have a lot to talk about.
Yes! I would also be so tongue-tied talking to someone I admire so much, but I think that Neil Gaiman comes across as so gentle and non-judgmental that after a few minutes with him, I would hopefully get over my anxiety and be able to speak to him like a normal person. I feel like he would understand the anxiety and not just think I was an idiot.
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 »

From the present crop of living authors, it would be Haruki Murakami. But if we're considering dead authors then it would most certainly be Charles Bukowski. That man has way too much influence on me and my writing.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski
Msqueaksalot

Post by Msqueaksalot »

Joanne Fluke would be so awesome to have a cup of coffee and a cookie with. Her books are so entertaining and the bonus recipe make them interactive.
raner

Post by raner »

I'd like to get a drink with Yann Martel. I really liked Beatrice and Virgil--it's one if the best I've read.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

So many, but I imagine lunch with Paulo Coehlo would lead to some great philosophical conversation. Junot Diaz or Rudolph Steiner would be close seconds.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Arundhati Rpy for some reason. Apart from her amazing storytelling skills, she is also very highly opinionated. It would make the meal/beer even more interesting.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

My most obvious answer would be J. K. Rowling but I have recently been very intrigued by Haruki Murakami's work and even watched the Dreaming Murakami documentary and really enjoyed it. I think I might have a few (or a lot :D ) of questions to ask Mr. Murakami and would love to see his perspective on his stories.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I would love to have a beer with Hunter S Thompson or Stephen King... Thompson because he seems like such a trip and I know it would be a memorable experience and King because he is just so dang likable! And maybe I would get to meet his corgi, Molly, Thing of Evil!
EmberBlaze

Post by EmberBlaze »

Stephen King. I would try to stop fan-girling long enough to ask him my questions.

Return to “Discuss Authors”