If you could take a writing class which author would it be?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
cdisenberg
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Way too many to list
Currently Reading: Dantes Inferno
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdisenberg.html

If you could take a writing class which author would it be?

Post by cdisenberg »

If you could take a writing class from any author who would you choose? This can be a living author or a dead one.

I have two that I think would be awesome to take a class from one alive, Stephen King, I've read his book on writing and loved it. He seems like he could teach you so much and I love horror. The other is dead, Edger Allen Poe, just to have some time to watch and learn how his mind worked and constructed his poems and stories! There are so many, I would love to hear yours.
“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
― Ernest Hemingway
BGChargers123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bgchargers123.html

Post by BGChargers123 »

I'm with you on the Stephen King front, that man certainly knows how to write. Also, I would give anything to be instructed by Ernest Hemingway, his Iceberg Theory is one that is both fascinating and skillful.
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

Jannette Oke (alive) or Martha Finely (dead) would be my choice. They are great writers of Christian book series, and novels. I really enjoyed their books.
sedmontson

Post by sedmontson »

Very interesting question. My first choice is Joyce Carol Oates, I have read her books ever since high school. Always fascinating and grammatical. Love them. Also I'd enjoy studying under Jeffrey Deaver, he writes police procedural but with a twist (he's also disabled). :wink:
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

Based on Stephen King's book On Writing, an entire class from him would be quite something. Invaluable really. But right now I am obsessed with David Sedaris and his unique voice. To have even an hour with him about his process would be priceless.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Stephen King would be much choice as well. He certainly knows how to write and I love his writing, though I only read a few of his books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
allwritemel1967

Post by allwritemel1967 »

Enid blyton (dead) because the way she makes her characters live and beathe off the page is awesome. For someone alive ... tough choice but I think Jacqueline Wilson would ti the balance for me because she wrings emotion from the reader. I have taken a class by a poet which was very interesting ... even though I don't write poetry!
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I have always wanted to take a writing class taught by Robert Frost. Sadly, that will not happen. As for someone living, I am not sure. There are so many. Stephen King would be fascinating, I'm sure. To be able to pick that brain.....
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
cjwatson90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjwatson90.html

Post by cjwatson90 »

I would truely enjoy taking a writing class from Shel Silverstien, Stephen King, or Edgar Allen Poe. I would be fascinated with them and would love to pick there brains. I think all three of them would have a very interesting class.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I would take one with J.K Rowling or Chuck Palahniuk. I love them both for different reasons. They have two very different styles of writing, but I could learn so much from both of the authors.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
shantyknight
Favorite Author: P. N. Elrod
Currently Reading: The Last American Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by shantyknight »

P.N. Elrod.
Faerie104
Currently Reading: The Vampire's Bride
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faerie104.html

Post by Faerie104 »

I would have to say I'd love to sit down and take a creative writing workshop with Christine Feehan, Laurel K Hamilton, and Anne Rice.
shantyknight
Favorite Author: P. N. Elrod
Currently Reading: The Last American Vampire

Post by shantyknight »

P.N. Elrod or Seth Grahame-Smith. Very interesting writing styles which easily hold my attention. And would inspire me to create my own unique writing style.
Kayo Smada
Currently Reading: Flora and Ulysses
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayo-smada.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Kayo Smada »

There are so many authors out there I enjoy, but I think I would first love to sit down with David Sedaris. I really love his unique, humorous perspective in his short stories. I think I'd also love to learn about writing longer novels from Fyodor Dostoyevsky, George Eliot, and James Michener. But what I wouldn't give to sit down with Agatha Christie and talk about mystery writing.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

No contest. Charles Dickens.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “Discuss Authors”