Favorite Funny Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Terri2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Favorite Funny Author?

Post by Terri2 »

Who's your favorite funny author? By funny author, I mean anyone who writes any kind of funny stuff, whether it's comedy/joke books or just usual novels with funny parts.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i love janet evanovich. her books are so funny. for anyone that hasn't read them i highly recommend you do so. i mean seriously they are wicked awsome
bplayfuli

Post by bplayfuli »

Carl Hiaasen
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Douglas Adams work has me laughing out loud.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

Marian Keyes. She just has a way with words. One of my favorite lines was about this girl who's boyfriend was a total douche:

"In Tara's case, love was not only blind, it was also deaf, dumb, had a bad hip, and the onset of Alzheimer's."
awelker

Post by awelker »

sleepydumpling wrote:Douglas Adams work has me laughing out loud.
last summer my cousin gave me a copy of all six hitchhikers guide to the universe and i haven't gotten around to reading it yet. are the really good?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

awelker, they're not just good... they're brilliant! Hilariously funny, fantastic characters, well paced stories with plenty of twists and turns to keep you on your toes, and he created worlds and creatures that are just so clever.

Sigh... he died some time ago now but I am still mourning him. The only author I ever mourned like an old friend when he died.

If you would like a "starter" book for his humour, I can highly recommend "A Last Chance to See", which is a non-fiction book he wrote with zoologist Mark Carwardine. He and Mark travelled the world for the BBC tracking down almost extinct animals. Just the captions of the photos in the book alone have me chuckling. One of my favourites is "Across the horizon we spotted a not even remotely white, Northern White Rhinoceros making across the plains like a nimble young tank." I'm doing that from memory, so apologies if the quote isn't exact.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Al Franken's books make me laugh. One of my all time favorites is his book written under his Stuart Smalley character: "I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!" His self-depricating humor is hilarious.
SylviaM

Post by SylviaM »

Gerald Durrell
P.G.Wodehouse for the ancient school anyway
lifelongreader

Post by lifelongreader »

Bill Bryson makes me laugh out loud - and makes me want to share his funny turns of phrase with others, which can be a bit odd when you are on public transport.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Oh yes, he's incredibly clever. I got to meet him a couple of months ago, and he's charming!

alisonaston

Post by alisonaston »

Augusten Burroughs is a wonder - he has me spitting coffee through my nose!
knightss

Post by knightss »

okay.. i've let it slide for the first 2 posts i read but now i have to respond. i don't see what's so great about Burroughs. His stories aren't great if anything i'd call them mediocre and there is nothing special about his style of writing. The only thing is appealing about his work is that they are 'memoirs' but they are still found in the fiction section so don't take everything at face value.

I don't mean to be nasty to you Alison, i just can't stand Burroughs lol, sorry.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Yeah but Derek love, the question wasn't who Derek wants to have a beer with or who Derek's favourite funny author is... they're questions subjective to the poster. It's boring if we all like the same authors. Personally I hate Ayn Rand and Chuck Palahniuk with a passion, but I'm not gonna dispute you guys liking their work. Dissing other people's tastes is not cool.

knightss

Post by knightss »

I know i know, it wasn't an attack on alison, i wanted to get that across so i said it in the first post. Something about his writing just pushes my buttons. Who knows, maybe i'm the fool.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely

Return to “Discuss Authors”