Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
krisssy_99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisssy-99.html

Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

Post by krisssy_99 »

Whose work would you rather read - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters, if asked to choose between the two ? Both are England's most famous female novelists of the victorian era who popularized romantic fiction and their books are popular classics. I love both authors but I think Jane Austen is a bit more "reserved" somehow - although she is clever and witty. The Brontes are more passionate in their writing, I believe. Jane Eyre is my all time favorite . What is your opinion?
bibliomaniac_23

Post by bibliomaniac_23 »

Jane Austen at times comes across as too "proper" and shallow. Her world is limited to social interactions and balls which can get superficial at times. The Bronte sisters have definitely been more successful at capturing raw human emotions and desires, they aren't afraid to lay open the souls of their characters to be judged by the whims of readers. Jane Eyre is a personal favorite of mine and the love the protagonist feels for her Mr.Rochester is something that is simply beyond the emotional spectrum of Elizabeth Bennet.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

Thats a hard choice. But I think I would have to say Jane Austen because I adore her wit and scathing remarks masked as manners. I laugh more when reading Austen, not necessaily out of ha ha funny, but her clever intellect shines through her books. I like the Bronte's as well. However, I percieve them as more emotionally driven than intellectually driven. This may be my own personal bias towards lack of love for romance novels. I find the Bronte's don't employ wit as often and have a tendency to attempt pulling at heartstrings rather than thought provocation.
I vote Austen.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

Krissy,

What a great question. I have never thought about this before. I love both of the writers so much, but I think I have to go with the Bronte sisters. Austen for sure is more reserved. Her writing is beautiful and has so many good ideas involved. Those ideas were revolutionary for her era. Still, I love the way the Bronte sisters write, especially Charlotte. To me, writings seems even more of an art form when reading their books.

Thanks for posting that question. It made me think of something new!

Amanda
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I love Jane Austen and I have read more of her books than the Bronte sisters. Wuthering Heights was hard for me to read because of the poor language of one of the characters. So I would say I definitely prefer Jane Austen.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Dezu44
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezu44.html

Post by Dezu44 »

I've only just begun to dip my toes into Romantic British Literature. But, I've read "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen and "Wuthering Heights" by Bronte. Of the two, I prefer "Wuthering Heights".

I found Austen's writing style to be excruciatingly slow and reserved. I enjoyed the plot and I especially loved some of the characters (especially Darcy!) and its plot. But while I was reading it, I felt as if the story could have been condensed into half of its pages without ruining the quality of the novel. It took several long and dull passages to get to the interesting bits.

So far, I've really enjoyed "Wuthering Heights". I like Bronte's decision to have two narrators and two polar but interrelated families. Because I am given a family tree at the beginning of the novel, reading the novel often feels like putting together a puzzle--why did she marry him instead of him? So far, It's definitely been more entertaining than "Pride and Prejudice".
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This is a tough decision, but I slightly prefer Austen's works. I enjoy the "lighter" feel of her stories, and because Austen focused so heavily on the social conventions of her day, I also feel as though her books offer a more accurate depiction of how everyday life was during that era.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Though I enjoyed the former, I didn't like the latter much. Whereas, I liked all of the Jane Austen books that I read. So, I prefer Austen.
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy

Post by meigui22 »

probably Jane Austen
Hans08
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans08.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett

Post by Hans08 »

Jane Austen for sure. Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite book.
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett
Metomorpher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39907">The Bachman Books</a>
Currently Reading: The Sky Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metomorpher.html

Post by Metomorpher »

Personally I would choose Jane Austin because for me the Brontë Sister are to dark; I have never been totally sold on Gothic Fiction so the worlds they created never grabbed me. An argument for the Brontë sisters could be that the cover themes that lighter books cannot, while this view has merit, I believe that any genre can convey deep themes and often lighter books are better at communicating the themes without the audience feeling threatened. After all, books are supposed to be enjoyable as well as critically engaging. I very much enjoy the world Austin creates and find myself intellectually challenged by the layers which she has woven into such supposedly simple narratives.

P.S. It must also be said that asking a fan of both authors to choose between them is poorly thought out because their genres are different so it is hard to compare them.
missklovey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missklovey.html

Post by missklovey »

Easily Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read much by the Bronte sisters, but Wuthering Heights was really difficult for me to get through.
Sophieangelica777
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophieangelica777.html

Post by Sophieangelica777 »

So enjoyed reading everybodys posts! Such an interesting topic. I would have to agree with some of the sentiments written above. Austen is a favorite, of course, she is light and happy and humurous and utterly enjoyable. Brontes are delectably dark and demure and overly real at times. So, as with all else in life I would choose according to mood and feeling. Tastes cannot always be the same can they? Ice cream and a laugh with loved ones? -Happy Austen. Whiskey and a cry over a crap day? -Bitterly Bronte
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Jane Austen for sure. She is my favorite by far!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Momma137
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Momma137 »

Austen for sure.

Return to “Discuss Authors”