Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
LadySunshine
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladysunshine.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters

Post by LadySunshine »

Oh, dear ! This is going to force me to admit that I have never read anything by Jane Austen, although I have , of course, heard of her, and of her book "Pride and Prejudice". I have, however, read "Jane Eyre", by Charlotte Bronte, and it has been one of my most favorite books of all time.
I was probably in my early teens (back in the mid-1950's) when I read it for the first time, and then I watched the old black-and-white movie version starring the famous Orson Welles. Of course, I liked the story even better after that.
I think that most of the books written in that time frame were somewhat tedious, and committed to pointing out the social injustices and hardships of the day; but even so, it is a wonderful and touching story of a young girl growing into womanhood, and finding true love.
Over the years, I have re-read the book several times, and also watched newer versions of the movie; but I think I still like the older movie the best.
I will have to read something by Jane Austen; but it is not likely at all that I will prefer her over Charlotte Bronte and Jane Eyre.
RT
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Definitely the Bronte sisters! I can read their novels many times over and still find new things to admire, whereas I had to struggle to get through Pride and Prejudice... even the version with zombies.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with the original post in this thread. Although I have read and loved both Austen and the Bronte sisters. I find Austen's writing lacks some of the passion the Bronte sisters emulate in their work. Withering Heights is one of my absolute favorite classics; there is so much emotion and passion brought to life by the author! I would choose the Bronte sisters over Austen.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have never heard of the Bronte Sisters, so I would have to chose Jane Austen. I really like Pride and Prejudiced and have also seen the movie.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
spleibfritz

Post by spleibfritz »

I love Wuthering Heights but I have to go with Austen because Pride and Prejudice is my guilty pleasure.
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

I would read the Bronte sisters over Jane Austen. Wuthering Heights, written by Emily Bronte, is my favorite classic book. I love the way Emily wrote the book! Her writing style is unique, and the words she uses fit the era. I have read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and it did not encapsulate me the way Wuthering Heights did. I don't think I finished it, as I just was not interested.

Definitely a Bronte fan all the way!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

Definitely the Bronte sisters! Their writing is so much more powerful and real. I get sucked into their stories. Jane Austen is good, but she is so rigid and proper, its hard for me to enjoy her writing as much.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

Jane Austen. She's got so much good sense. The Bronte sisters strike me as just a tad off their rockers.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Anyone interested in the Brontë sisters' should watch the BBC production To Walk Invisible - I watched it over Christmas and really loved it.
It does a super job depicting the differing characters of each of the sisters and Branwell - their drunken, irresponsible brother. It also cleverly shows their frustration and how they successfully managed to get published despite the multiple obstacles they faced in Victorian England. Superb production
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

Jane Austen, if I had to choose. I read and loved both Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights. While the former is light hearted and bright, the latter is dark, emotional and raw. Jane Austen and the Brontë Sisters have distinguished styles that differ vastly from each other's. But for me, I have always preferred Austen's witty writing and modernistic sarcasm that makes her works so unique.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think that I would pick Jane Austen over the Bronte sisters.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
roxen montrucchi

Post by roxen montrucchi »

i love Jane Austen but also Charlotte Brönte, it is very hard to choose when you fall in love with every book you read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know. I've always been partial to Jane Austen. I read Bronte because I was forced. I've read Austen many times since I've been out of school.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tabithalwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabithalwood.html

Post by tabithalwood »

Austen. Hands down.
Shermac21
Currently Reading: 30 Pieces of Silver
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shermac21.html

Post by Shermac21 »

Jane Austen is my favorite choice.