Your thoughts about Ernest Hemingway?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
readertim109
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your thoughts about Ernest Hemingway?

Post by readertim109 »

So, what do you think about Ernest Hemingway?

Hemingway wrote such famous novels as The Old Man and the Sea, and The Sun Also Rises. His unique writing style is noted by economy and understatement and had great influence on the development of 20th century fiction writing.

Here's a quote:
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I am not a fan. I always feel that Hemingway thought himself superior to most people, and the quote below quite illustrates that. I also feel that all the hunting and shooting and drinking talk was a lot of insecure male posturing. It seemed that he was always out to prove to the world what a manly man he was.

But boy did he travel to some wonderful locations!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

DanteAzrael

Post by DanteAzrael »

I do not like Hemingway and I've only read The Old Man and the Sea. His writing style isn't unique or worthy of any praise. It is emotionless. It's nothing at all to me. Reading the Old Man and the Sea was like writing the most depressing and ununique poem I have ever written. Something about him did not sit right with me. I don't know if he thought himself superior to others. If he did, he definitely did not earn it because was not a great author. I think it might have been that it seemed so...unartisic...unvaluble...unworthy of being published.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, remain neutral.
Danny Caz

Post by Danny Caz »

WOW! I understand that evrybody is entitled to their own opinions. But my Lord!!! Are we talking about the same Hemingway? The Author of "classics" such as The Sun also Rises, and Old Man and the Sea! not only is he one of the greatest writers of the 20th century, but he was a pioneer. His, cut to the chase straight foward style was and still is uncomprimisingly unique. He paved the road for such writers as Jack Kerouac and Charles Bukowski (my two favorite authors)...Not only do I enjoy reading Earnest Hemingway's works, but I declare that that man was a genius!!!
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

See that's what I never could get. How did Hemingway's books ever become "classics"? I could never see any great skill in his writing, just a lot of machismo posturing. Is it because he pushed the envelope with subject matter and was controversial for his time that his work became classics?
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

awelker

Post by awelker »

i like that a lot of the books take place in the same places that i love to be, northern michigan. i mean it is just so peaceful there. i would move there in a heartbeat.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
ClickForth

Post by ClickForth »

I recently read A Farewell to Arms for school, and I have to say while I didn't really enjoy the novel, the discussion and further abstraction away from the actually text was great. While there are some novels that I just don't enjoy and can't find much to take away, at least with Hemingway, regardless of my enjoyment of his actual writing style, I still found plenty of substance.
Ason

Post by Ason »

From what i have read of Hemmingway he stole alot of his style from gertrude Stein & F. Scott Fitzgerald as well as another name i can't recall at the moment. I just finished The Garden of Eden and really nothing happened besides swimming,drinking,sex, talking, writing, maybe some eating and sleeping; otherwise nothing. No revelations, no character development. I've read some of his short fiction and a couple of the classics, but nothing has ever stuck out to me as being above par.
As for his machismo he injured himelf more times than not and with the few exceptions of his african safaris it was usually his fault.At the end of his career he was challanged to a duel and failed to make a meaningful response.
My one positive thing to say about him as someone previously mentioned was that he inspired other great writers such as those mentioned above but including Hunter S. Thompson who stole some of hemmingway's lines but did a great deal more with them. I don't know if that makes him Nobel prize worthy, but who am I to say.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

Hemingway's novels are okay. They are not bad, but I think they are overrated. I wonder how his work became so popular...
Aloisius12

Post by Aloisius12 »

Tolstoy is too long, Hemingway is too short - there's really never a dull moment with you, guys :lol:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I've read everything Hemingway has written and frankly I don't know what all the hoopla is about. His pioneering of "understatement", in my opinion, makes his writing sound more like an outline than a novel. Also, I am intimate with his biography and I don't like him as a man either. I agree with those who say his macho posturing was an attempt to prove to himself that he was a man. The way he treated his first wife, Hadley, was a sin and in this case he WAS man enough to admit it in A Moveable Feast. His first mistake was taking writing advice from Gertrude Stein ... the woman was a talentless, self indulgent, self-worshiping fraud in my opinion. Hemingway DID have enormous talent ... but it was misdirected.

His sole redemption as an author in my eyes was the creation of The Old Man and the Sea in which, for the first time, his main character (or emulated characters) were not monosyllabic mercenaries, or slipper-wearing bull butchers, or emasculated Parisian play-babies but a truly heroic and tragic protagonist; a protagonist who we could empathetically identify with; a protagonist who, even in defeat, achieves a magnificence we can admire; a protagonist who is real - who is human. When the final curtain of this novel fell, I could weep for Santiago even as I stood up to cheer him ... the rest of Hemingway's half-mute-cardboard-cut-out protagonists could all be run over by a wild and rabid gaggle of bulls for all I care.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:I've read everything Hemingway has written and frankly I don't know what all the hoopla is about. His pioneering of "understatement", in my opinion, makes his writing sound more like an outline than a novel. Also, I am intimate with his biography and I don't like him as a man either. I agree with those who say his macho posturing was an attempt to prove to himself that he was a man. The way he treated his first wife, Hadley, was a sin and in this case he WAS man enough to admit it in A Moveable Feast. His first mistake was taking writing advice from Gertrude Stein ... the woman was a talentless, self indulgent, self-worshiping fraud in my opinion. Hemingway DID have enormous talent ... but it was misdirected.

His sole redemption as an author in my eyes was the creation of The Old Man and the Sea in which, for the first time, his main character (or emulated characters) were not monosyllabic mercenaries, or slipper-wearing bull butchers, or emasculated Parisian play-babies but a truly heroic and tragic protagonist; a protagonist who we could empathetically identify with; a protagonist who, even in defeat, achieves a magnificence we can admire; a protagonist who is real - who is human. When the final curtain of this novel fell, I could weep for Santiago even as I stood up to cheer him ... the rest of Hemingway's half-mute-cardboard-cut-out protagonists could all be run over by a wild and rabid gaggle of bulls for all I care.
Wow! DATo, I'm tempted to quote the "apart from that Mrs Lincoln ..." line :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:
Wow! DATo, I'm tempted to quote the "apart from that Mrs Lincoln ..." line :lol: :lol:
Yup. I am not a fan of Mrs. Lincoln either. It would have served Hemingway right if he had wound up with Mrs. Lincoln and Abraham had wound up with Hadley. ...... You see, I AM a consummate evangelist of "Poetic Justice" *LOL*

I re-read my post in a calmer state of mind .... sometimes my wrath frightens me .... *shivering*.

It is a good thing Hemingway isn't still around or he'd probably have to prove his manliness by hitting me over the head with a coal shovel or something.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:
Fran wrote:
Yup. I am not a fan of Mrs. Lincoln either. It would have served Hemingway right if he had wound up with Mrs. Lincoln and Abraham had wound up with Hadley. ...... You see, I AM a consummate evangelist of "Poetic Justice" *LOL*

I re-read my post in a calmer state of mind .... sometimes my wrath frightens me .... *shivering*.

It is a good thing Hemingway isn't still around or he'd probably have to prove his manliness by hitting me over the head with a coal shovel or something.
Some kind of headlock more likely ... or maybe a challenge in the local taverna :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ceshiwuhao

Post by ceshiwuhao »

It seemed that he was always out to prove to the world what a manly man he was.

Return to “Discuss Authors”